Feeling nervous about taking metformin

AnnM99

Hi,
I've got to pick up a prescription of metformin.... Been put on 2g a day.
Levels were 86 6 weeks ago but with diet alone I managed to get hba1c to 60 and cholesterol from 6.8 to 5.6.
Not sure why, just feel incredibly nervous about meds. I know I shouldn't feel this way as many people take metformin. I think I'm just worrying that i will be on something stronger before I know it.
What are your experiences? I'm 48 years old, bmi 23.5 and otherwise healthy.
Do people stay on this drug forever? Read somewhere that after 10 years, many people progress to injections etc. Is 2g max dose or does this get reduced as hbac1 comes down?
Sorry to sound silly. I suspect many people my age are on some sort of medication, just feels like a big step. I keep telling myself that metformin isn't a big deal and that it will allow me a better quality of life.
BS range between 5.5 and 8.5, on a low carb diet.
Any feedback would help me get a sense of perspective about this. Not sure if I'm overthinking it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @AnnM99 As you've already pointed out yourself many many people take this medication, it's a safe tablet to take otherwise it wouldn't be prescribed, i've taken it myself but preferred the slow release version as it didn't agree with my digestion.

It is no big deal, if it was prescribed as a food then I am sure no one would question it but sadly medication does seem to carry a stigma attached to it, but i'd rather take this than live with the potential health implications of uncontrolled diabetes.

Reactions: AnnM99

AnnM99

Hello @AnnM99 As you've already pointed out yourself many many people take this medication, it's a safe tablet to take otherwise it wouldn't be prescribed, i've taken it myself but preferred the slow release version as it didn't agree with my digestion.

It is no big deal, if it was prescribed as a food then I am sure no one would question it but sadly medication does seem to carry a stigma attached to it, but i'd rather take this than live with the potential health implications of uncontrolled diabetes.
Thank you for replying to me, much appreciated.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thank you for replying to me, much appreciated.

That's ok, we all have our own thoughts and views on medication, but when it comes down to our well being it almost becomes a no brainer if there are no other alternatives, I am type 1 and dependent on insulin but would still question whether a medication was right for me regardless. Last year I was told by my GP to take statins and decided against this as I didn't feel it was right for me.

AnnM99

That's interesting. May I ask why you refused statins. I'm hearing that a lot of people with diabetes take them but they've not been offered to me, no idea why.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting. May I ask why you refused statins. I'm hearing that a lot of people with diabetes take them but they've not been offered to me, no idea why.
I was prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin at diagnosis and suffered the most dreadful side effects. I thought I would have to go into a care home until it slowly penetrated my mental fog that it had all started very recently. I stopped the tablets and began to recover.
As you are well on track to be in normal numbers in a few months, I don't understand why you have been prescribed a tablet which has the possibility of causing explosive incontinence. - mind you some GPs really do not like it when patients naughtily cure themselves of conditions considered to be progressive and lead to inevitable decline.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin SR ,the ordinary type did not agree with my bowel !!! I was started with a low dose and then increased gradually to the maximum dose ,so I am surprised that you have been prescribed such a high dose straight away .I have taken metformin for 12 years and after a short time at the beginning I have had no problems .
Carol

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Levels were 86 6 weeks ago but with diet alone I managed to get hba1c to 60 and cholesterol from 6.8 to 5.6.
Not sure why, just feel incredibly nervous about meds. I know I shouldn't feel this way as many people take metformin. I think I'm just worrying that i will be on something stronger before I know it.
Do people stay on this drug forever? Read somewhere that after 10 years, many people progress to injections etc. Is 2g max dose or does this get reduced as hbac1 comes down?
Sorry to sound silly. I suspect many people my age are on some sort of medication, just feels like a big step. I keep telling myself that metformin isn't a big deal and that it will allow me a better quality of life.
Any feedback would help me get a sense of perspective about this. Not sure if I'm overthinking it.
I was on metformin a long time and was fine. I understand your reservations but for many many people they have little to no side effects.

Diabetes T2 can progress, but more often than not that's where people don't actively take control but you are doing so and your levels are dropping. It's not guaranteed but many, myself included, reversed to a point where we aren't on drugs. Some like @Rachox do keep Metformin as an aid, others dont

Now, it can have some gastric issues, for some worse than others, hence the need for some to have slow release. Others can't tolerate at all. for many, myself included, there aren't any effects at all. All drugs have side effects, and you have to choose. Hba1c of 60 is high enough that the doctors would want to prescribe, but given your drop one option might be to ask if you can continue on diet and repeat a test 3 months after to see if still needed?

Last edited:

JT80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Metformin doesn't suit everyone. I was taken off the tablets by my Doctor due to intestinal discomfort and diarrhea. All ok since.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some like @Rachox do keep Metformin as an aid, others dont
Yes I take metformin, suffer no side effects and alongside a low carb diet I keep my HbA1c at non diabetic levels. Just because you start on a medication doesn’t mean it’ll be forever if you don’t want it to be.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Metformin gets a lot of flak from those who don't appreciate its gastric effects but a lot of people take it and don't have any problems at all. It's a well known drug that has been used for many years for a number of issues (eg PCOS) so has the advantage that its side effects are well understood. I personally didn't have any hesitation in volunteering to take it for a double blind trial to see if it would help T1s and didn't have any issues (though I never found out whether I was taking the drug or the placebo. :))

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just feel incredibly nervous about meds. I know I shouldn't feel this way as many people take metformin. I think I'm just worrying that i will be on something stronger before I know it.
Do people stay on this drug forever?

I took it for 3 weeks but had serious gastric issues so stopped of my own accord.

Carried on with my low carb/intermittent fasting diet and achieved the results in my signature.

You've had great results with diet in only 6 weeks so you could simply carry that on and see how it goes before starting the meds?

My view is that medication should really be a "last resort" when everything else stops working so am quite happy to hold off taking anything (I'm now 59 by the way).

Also of course you should decide what goes into your body, your doctor is there to advise not instruct (or at least that's how it should work).