High numbers

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi everyone I need a bit of advice. I’m on 3 lots of medication for type 2 diabetes and my sugars are higher than when I was first diagnosed. My levels haven’t been right since the pandemic started, hence the 3 lots of medication. I’ve had a lot of stress, the pandemic, family problems, work related problems etc in the last 18 months. I had a blood test a few weeks ago and my HB1AC is 88, and I’ve been called into see the nurse, which I’m concerned that they are going to put me on insulin. Is it possible that stress alone can cause this increase?
Last summer I lost over a stone due to stress and my numbers were in their 70’s.
What the hell can I do to try and get it down and has anyone else been that stressed that they can’t control their numbers.
I also think I’m premenopausal, have any of you ladies struggled with your HB1AC while going through this? thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of things are you eating?

Diet is key to control T2.. if you're putting in the wrong fuel your engine won't work properly.

Reactions: bexter75 and coby

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
To be honest it doesn’t matter what I eat, they are still high. I’ve tried to eat nothing apart from salad and it stays high. It’s getting to be a viscous circle
But yes I do try my best to eat healthy, I avoid bread rice pasta and potatoes like the plague

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, stress causes me extremely high numbers, and unfortunately the perimenopause, and menopause also needed more insulin to try to control my levels. I appreciate you're type 2 and not on insulin at the moment.

Maybe if you post a typical day's food, people will be able to give suggestions that may help. It's easy for extra carbs to be in foods that we don't realise are there.

Reactions: bexter75

JohhnyHachoo

To be honest it doesn’t matter what I eat, they are still high. I’ve tried to eat nothing apart from salad and it stays high. It’s getting to be a viscous circle
But yes I do try my best to eat healthy, I avoid bread rice pasta and potatoes like the plague
I am experiencing the same issue, my blood sugar for the last week has been running much higher than usual. Form what I can see and from my own personal experience, it does not matter what I eat my numbers will vary irrespective of my diet.

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
My diet consists of
Apple or banana for breakfast
Salad or boiled eggs for lunch
Chilli (without rice, pasta or chips)
Gammon and egg

a few snacks of fruit, sometimes a cheeky chocolate bar, nuts, seeds

dontget me wrong I can be naughty but most often I’m pretty good
Oh and I don’t really drink alcohol

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diet consists of
Gammon and egg

Swap banana and apple for egg and bacon.
Does the chilli contain beans, not everyone can cope with beans. I have found black beans to have the least effect on bg.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My diet consists of
Gammon and egg

That diet looks good in general, but a daily banana or apple would put my sugars pretty high, so I guess that might be one thing you could replace. If there are any hidden carbs in the salad and chilli, that might also be an issue. As you note, it could well be stress or other factors that are the main culprit, but I'm pretty sure swapping the fruit breakfast will at least help to some extent.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, dispense with the banana. What is your BMI? If you are slim it's always possible you are a Late onset T1 and not T2. Ask for the two tests if you are slim.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion.

Your diet looks very good, you may need insulin therapy.

The good people here are unusually motivated to abstain and deprive themselves in a desperate attempt to avoid more or a medication or to get perfect blood scores, if an apple or banana for breakfast is your worst habit, be proud.

Eternal life via low carb or similar has yet to be proven, it’s all about balancing between health and happiness because we are all going to the same place regardless of if we eat an apple for breakfast or a rasher of bacon :)

I’ll get my coat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The good people here are unusually motivated to abstain and deprive themselves in a desperate attempt to avoid more or a medication or to get perfect blood scores,
Some. SOME may perhaps be like that. However, I have been here for 10 years on this forum and they are a tiny minority.

Most on here are motivated by the desire to avoid complications, including complications from side effects from the medications themselves. They are tolerant of the choices of others, while putting forward ideas which have worked for them. More and more medication, IF avoidable, is not a good idea for our bodies. There is nothing wrong with their stance. They work hard on here, for no reward except the satisfaction of knowing their shared experiences, positive and negative, may help others and offer support unstintingly, regardless of the choices others make.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Some. SOME may perhaps be like that. However, I have been here for 10 years on this forum and they are a tiny minority.

Most on here are motivated by the desire to avoid complications, including complications from side effects from the medications themselves. They are tolerant of the choices of others, while putting forward ideas which have worked for them. More and more medication, IF avoidable, is not a good idea for our bodies. There is nothing wrong with their stance. They work hard on here, for no reward except the satisfaction of knowing their shared experiences, positive and negative, may help others and offer support unstintingly, regardless of the choices others make.
Not sure how I offended you or insulted anyone, Not even sure what I said that you’ve “corrected” me on? But I apologize

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
" because we are all going to the same place regardless of if we eat an apple for breakfast or a rasher of bacon "

Maybe,. maybe not.
I suppose that depends on what I meant? For example, the toilet would fit :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
You generalised. Surely your first sentence doesnt include every one of us on here?
So my crime was, I generalized? You could have told me off for that?

I never suggested any of the things you corrected me on I don’t believe, it was an unfair response but my skin is an inch thick so once again, apologies, at the risk of further derailing this thread, I will shup.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion.

Your diet looks very good, you may need insulin therapy.

The good people here are unusually motivated to abstain and deprive themselves in a desperate attempt to avoid more or a medication or to get perfect blood scores, if an apple or banana for breakfast is your worst habit, be proud.

Eternal life via low carb or similar has yet to be proven, it’s all about balancing between health and happiness because we are all going to the same place regardless of if we eat an apple for breakfast or a rasher of bacon :)

I’ll get my coat

I don’t understand, is trying to get the perfect numbers a bad thing?

Reactions: lucylocket61

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not in my book.
I don't feel that I deny myself much by eating a low carb diet.
I felt a bit dismal this morning so I turned off the news and made a large jelly, using gelatine and sugar free squash, them threw in a big bag of frozen berries, watched it set as I drank coffee, then ate it with cream.
Sometimes something with jelly is the best option.
This evening I ate lamb, and more jelly, and drank fruit tea - there is a limit to the amount of cream I can consume, I find. Oddly enough my day to day blood glucose seems absolutely spot on - nothing desperate about my lifestyle I can see, and it would take more than being able to eat bananas to convince me that it would be right for me to use insulin - the suggestion is a bit bonkers to may way of thinking.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I think trying to get as near perfect numbers as I can, watching what I eat and keeping my medication needs as low as possible is a very good thing.