Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@bexter75
You mention your hba1cs but not your blood sugar levels? Are you doing blood sugar (glucometer) checks) at all? Many GPs tell their T2s not to test but if you are on gliclazide you should (I believe) be eligible for a meter and then you would be able to tell whether that fruit was causing you issues. (If you still want to have fruit for breakfast, you might find substituting with berries and/or unsweetened Greek yoghurt is better?) But my recommendation would be to let your meter be your guide.

Many people find that their morning bg goes high because their liver dumps sugar in the morning. Unfortunately T2s can't tell their livers they are on a low carb diet (as a T1 I can inject extra insulin for it.)

Reactions: bexter75

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
" because we are all going to the same place regardless of if we eat an apple for breakfast or a rasher of bacon "

Maybe,. maybe not.

I share your doubt.

If I eat an apple, the place I'm going to is double figures on my accucheck!
If I eat a rasher of bacon, that won't happen

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bexter75 Have you had Covid19? Low carb has worked for me for 10 years, but my BGs have been harder to control since I had the virus 17 months ago.

Have your HbA1c's ever fallen back to prediabetic or non diabetic levels with your previous efforts to control your BGs in the last 7 or so years?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Stress gets me into a bad spot BG wise, I usually need to walk it off.

Reactions: bexter75 and zand

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
As far as I know I’ve never had covid 19 but feb 2020 before all this chaos happened I was ill, then covid came about and my numbers have been high ever since. I’m convinced that when I was ill in feb that could have been covid but there was no way to test then.
Ido have a meter and I do test it’s not got below 10 for at least 18 months.
My BMI is about 28 so I’m by no means slim and I am overweight but even when I lost my weight it was still high. thank you for all of your comments and advice I am going to try and take all your advice ❤️❤️❤️

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
My diet consists of
Apple or banana for breakfast
Salad or boiled eggs for lunch
Chilli (without rice, pasta or chips)
Gammon and egg

a few snacks of fruit, sometimes a cheeky chocolate bar, nuts, seeds

dontget me wrong I can be naughty but most often I’m pretty good
Oh and I don’t really drink alcohol
Maybe your body is allergic to the apples and banana like mine is? I loved them, especially bananas, but my diabetic self now hates them :(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know I’ve never had covid 19 but feb 2020 before all this chaos happened I was ill, then covid came about and my numbers have been high ever since. I’m convinced that when I was ill in feb that could have been covid but there was no way to test then.
Ido have a meter and I do test it’s not got below 10 for at least 18 months.
My BMI is about 28 so I’m by no means slim and I am overweight but even when I lost my weight it was still high. thank you for all of your comments and advice I am going to try and take all your advice ❤️❤️❤️

Yes, it could well have been Covid. I wasn't tested either but I know I had it.

I would try very low carb for a while (less than 30g a day) and see what that does.

Bear in mind though that insulin isn't the enemy, if the pancreas has stopped producing it then it's time for it to have help. This isn't failure. This isn't being a bad diabetic. It's just the luck of the draw. You do your best and for several years it works, then it doesn't.

I have controlled my BGs with diet only for 10 years. That doesn't make me a better person than someone who struggles with it after a year, we are all unique, living with a unique set of circumstances. It has now become harder for me to control my T2. When the time comes I will use insulin. It scares me, but not as much as losing my sight or my limbs.

Yes, try for perfect numbers by diet only, of course that's good sense, but remember you can also get perfect numbers if you need to start insulin. It's the numbers that matter, not how you get them.

Good luck and keep us posted. I really hope it is those pesky bananas.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I should have said... Not sure what diabetic drugs you are taking. If very low carb works then you may need to reduce one/some of the drugs so that you don't hypo. So keep an eye on those BGs.