LCHP and Metformin

AnnM99

Hi everyone,
I need some personal experiences please.
I was diagnosed 10 weeks ago T2 and a hba1c of 86. Offered Gliclazide, I refused and started Lchf. 6 weeks later, managed to get them to retest and its 60! Then persuaded (after eye test result revealed some background retinopathy) to take metformin. Now week 4 and on max dose. Readi g these posts, I wish I had continued with the diet for another 6 weeks to see if I couod achieve remission.
My question is.... Have any of you followed a similar path to mine, achieved those low numbers and been taken off the meds? I'm scared that now I've started..... I'll need to keep taking them.
Your thoughts please.
Perhsps

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@AnnM99 I never went on to medication, but yes, lots of people have come off medication.
I remember chatting to one member of this forum helping her come of Gliclazide and into drug free remission - which is a heck of a lot harder than just coming off Metformin since with Gliclazide (like Insulin) you have to matching carbs to your does in order to avoid a dangerous hypo (ultra low Blood Glucose).
Others have achieved remission but remained taking Metformin for its other benefits.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Is there a reason why you can't continue eating a low carb diet?

I see in the information that the OP is taking Gliclazide. While that doesn't prevent a Low Carb way if eating (eating to your meter), it does make it harder.

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think she is taking Gliclazide but only Metformin, @ianf0ster. I wonder why she stopped the diet which is not incompatible with Metformin. I refused Gliclazide when it was prescribed and continued with Metformin and a low carb diet and the results are excellent.

AnnM99

I don't think she is taking Gliclazide but only Metformin, @ianf0ster. I wonder why she stopped the diet which is not incompatible with Metformin. I refused Gliclazide when it was prescribed and continued with Metformin and a low carb diet and the results are excellent.
Thank you. I didn't take Gliclazide. I started metformin 6 weeks in when levels got to 60. This was consultant advice as no other advice other than to take Gliclazide from my gp. Do people come off metformin if levels go into remission?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still doing lchf. Absolutely. I'm also taking metformin but wonder if I could have done it without meds.
Many members have come off metformin. There's nothing wrong with taking it for a while and come off it if diet is enough and you don't like the metformin.
We also have members who've decided to stay on metformin because it gives them just a little help, despite seeing non diabetic numbers.

Reactions: cynetique

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In my first week of not really knowing what I was doing I went from levels of 20 mmol/L to 16. This to me in hindsight indicates I had a chance of remission med free - I went on 2 Metformin tablets.

I removed the Merformin, and touch wood have maintained.

It will be a choice for you. Well done on your results.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just could not cope on Metformin and Atorvastatin and so threw them away, but it seemed that I never needed them, My Hba1c was 47 after 80 days, 41 at 6 months. As it is the carbs which a type 2 can't cope with, I just don't eat more carbs than will take my blood glucose to the top end of normal.