Real, simple, good, seasonal and FREE

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get cross sometimes when I see other sites that make low carb eating complex or costly.
This is one of my example of easy, cheap, healthy
Free, foraged blackberries, frozen on trays so they are then scooped into bags and kept frozen. A few are shaken out when needed.
Simples
bpackberries.jpg

Reactions: ert

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I get cross sometimes when I see other sites that make low carb eating complex or costly.
This is one of my example of easy, cheap, healthy
Free, foraged blackberries, frozen on trays so they are then scooped into bags and kept frozen. A few are shaken out when needed.
Simples
View attachment 51119

This is what my wife and I do also

Blackberries.jpg

It is stunning the difference between what "we" can pick and the "sweets" they call berries. The supermarkets boast about "extra sweet". I have been concerned about the fructose load of the berries I have almost every day. There is a push within the food fiddling industry to keep sugaring all fruit.

The needs to be a movement for sour / bitter, if only so that for the same glucose load more volume can be had.

We pick from our garden, the allotment and a nature reserve near Manningtree.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm feeling quite down today - I've been out for a walk this morning and I think I've had my last free breakfast of the season. The blackberries are all but over around here.

And no, I never, ever, manage to get them home. My walks are a lot slower during the blackberry season though.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We picked the last of our runner beans and courgettes today. During this season we have frozen some for the winter.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a rogue blackberry bush that has wound itself round a tree in our front garden, this reminds me to go and harvest the berries and look up my low carb crumble recipe :hungry:

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my garden it has not been a stellar year for veg, but my french beans were great earlier in the year and I have another batch just coming into flower so I hope for some more into the autumn. I still have loads of tomatoes despite the blight, plus cucumbers, chillis, peppers and aubergines which should carry on for a bit yet. Courgettes were a bit of a fail but the little Zephyr summer squashes have been great and keep on producing 2 or 3 every other day (seem to be ok for my BG, wasn’t too sure to start with), and I have a single spaghetti squash sitting ripening like a giant green slug.

Strawberries suffered from sawfly caterpillars but I’ve had a few and they are still doing their thing.

Once the ground has had some more rain I will plant out my fig trees… figs are OK for me too, although it will have to be a good year for them to produce anything edible!

I love the convenience of having fresh stuff on tap, so I can have a salad or roast (well, air-fried) veggies, or ingredients for a curry available without prior planning or having stuff languishing in the fridge! To large extent, what is ready to be eaten drives my menus in the summer.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
crumble recipe
Mine isn't even worthy of being called a recipe...
Per person (multiplying as needed),
melt a tablespoon of butter,
add 1 tablespoon ground almonds
and 1 tablespoon milled linseed (or either just the almonds or seeds if you prefer).
Mix it all about a bit, sprinkle on top of fruit and cook in oven (or microwave) until warmed through.
This is enough for one ramekin type dish

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and 1 tablespoon milled linseed (or either just the almonds or seeds if you prefer).
Mix it all about a bit, sprinkle on top of fruit and cook in oven (or microwave) until warmed through.

Very similar ingredients but I don’t melt the butter, I just rub it all together with my hands til it becomes like course breadcrumbs!
  • 55g almond flour
  • 15g milled flaxseed
  • 3 tsp granulated xylitol (or similar low carb sweetener)
  • 30g unsalted butter

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my garden it has not been a stellar year for veg, but my french beans were great earlier in the year and I have another batch just coming into flower so I hope for some more into the autumn. I still have loads of tomatoes despite the blight, plus cucumbers, chillis, peppers and aubergines which should carry on for a bit yet. Courgettes were a bit of a fail but the little Zephyr summer squashes have been great and keep on producing 2 or 3 every other day (seem to be ok for my BG, wasn’t too sure to start with), and I have a single spaghetti squash sitting ripening like a giant green slug.

Strawberries suffered from sawfly caterpillars but I’ve had a few and they are still doing their thing.

Once the ground has had some more rain I will plant out my fig trees… figs are OK for me too, although it will have to be a good year for them to produce anything edible!

I love the convenience of having fresh stuff on tap, so I can have a salad or roast (well, air-fried) veggies, or ingredients for a curry available without prior planning or having stuff languishing in the fridge! To large extent, what is ready to be eaten drives my menus in the summer.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found sprinkling ground cinnamon around the strawberries helped with bug control

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
We have a rogue blackberry bush that has wound itself round a tree in our front garden, this reminds me to go and harvest the berries and look up my low carb crumble recipe :hungry:
Please can I have the LC crumble recipe? Have made many attempts and so far all have been either dry and powdery or sticky and greasy.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Need to find a source of milled linseed now.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Discovered broccoli rice tonight.
Similar to cauliflower rice, this was the stems from 3 heads blitzed down to a rice texture in the food processor, then cooked in very little water (or stock) until tender. I added onion and red pepper but would have been OK on its own.
Pretty green colour, and free in that the heads had been eaten earlier in the week.
This was sufficient for 3 of us but easy to adjust quantities and alter flavourings to taste
I often keep the broccoli stems for soup, freezing them until I have enough but this is good alternative use