Help me with my marmite addiction

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a teaspoon full before I go swimming. Neat, just as is.
Helps with leg cramps.

Reactions: EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if it would freeze? We could make marmite ice lollies

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about a teaspoon over roasted tinned chickpeas x, I'm new to all this so I don't know if chickpeas are good or bad

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet it's nice to have a pet where nobody asks you why you called it a particular name! :happy:
Risking a telling off for going off topic, but here goes:
Efraïm and his brother were found by a friend of mine in a field in the middle of nowhere. They were between 7 and 10 weeks old.
Strange thing is, this friend had found another lonely but well cared for kitten in the same field a year earlier, and a couple of bunnies as well. No owner could be found either time, so they must have been dumped there to fend for themselves, in winter. :mad:

The first kitten went to another friend, who called her Pippi, after Pippi Longstocking. When I got the second kittens, I thought they might well be family of the first, so I named one of them after Pippi's father, who is Efraïm in the Dutch books! :happy:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Ellie, I do sympathise. I had the same problem finding vegemite when I moved to the Northern Hemisphere. It is the one product I tend to stockpile! Totally essential for a boiled egg and lc toast.
(Predictive text gave behemoths instead of vegemite - in what universe!)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(Predictive text gave behemoths instead of vegemite - in what universe!)
Now behemoths on toast for breakfast, that's even more hardcore than @hankjam 's neat teaspoon of marmite!

And to keep on topic, a hard boiled egg with some marmite tastes very good as well, even without the toast.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Marmite nuts (variable to taste)
Preheat oven to 180°
On a baking tray, melt a tablespoon of coconut oil, olive oil or butter with anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon of marmite with a teaspoon or 2 of water, and stir it all about a bit
Add in 200g of nuts of choice (can be mixed)
Stir until covered in the marmite mix. Add more nuts if you still have spare mix.
Bake/roast in oven for 15 -20 minutes
Watch carefully as can catch and burn
Allow to cool and store air tight.
Be warned very addictive !

Marmite cheese biscuits
Use this recipe but swap teaspoon marmite for the spices/flavourings
https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/blogs/cheese/mini-cheddars

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And marmite cheese crisps
Simply spread marmite on slices of cheese (gouda or maasdam or edam types work best).
Cut into shapes and cook on baking paper in microwave for 60-90 seconds until crispy.
Can be done in oven too.
Store air tight

I like these as can literally do just one cheese slice to give 3-4 crisps without overindulgence

Reactions: Antje77

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My parents ate Marmite when they could get it when they first came to Australia, but somewhere along the line it was replaced with the Australian Vegimite.

I am still a little Vegimite, and I eat it on low carb toasted bread, or a cheese and veggie sandwich.

Marmite as someone said earlier is made by Sanitarium in New Zealand and is labelled Marmite here in Australia and is available at Woolies stores. I will get a small jar of Marmite and have a try with it to see if there is a difference in taste.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/79628/sanitarium-marmite-spread

I don't know if Marmite is a Drop Bear repellent like Vegimite is though.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I will get a small jar of Marmite and have a try with it to see if there is a difference in taste.

Just be aware that you need to use it a lot more sparingly than vegimite. (Well, I do).

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to eat a few carbs or I hypo, best breakfast is 1 slice of sourdough bread toasted with butter, lots of marmite, whole avocado & topped off with poached eggs, enough carbs to not hypo enough fat to keep blood sugar stable, win win

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Did you know that you can spend the whole day smelling of Marmite ?
upload_2021-10-1_16-35-33.png

And even get your 'hit' in beer.
upload_2021-10-1_16-37-15.png

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Do you have Marks and Spencer over there?
upload_2021-10-1_16-40-57.png

upload_2021-10-1_16-43-8.png