Help me with my marmite addiction

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I am a marmite lover. This can be a bit of an issue when you live in the Southern hemisphere, but it is available here (albeit in tiny jars with the wrong name) and my dad can be relied on to give my entire nuclear family a big jar each for Christmas.

So, traditionally, before going low carb, I used to have it with bread and butter. Now I've cut right back on the bread, so I need something else to put it on (and it slides off cucumber). Any low carb suggestions?

Hi Ellie, a perfect accompaniment would be these....which were subject of another post about Marks & Spencer crackers that were only 3 carbs...I managed to find some at my branch and they are delicious, I had them with cheese (glucose levels barely rose), but I reckon they'd go just as well with marmite!

(Edited to add, there are only around 5 carbs in the entire packet which has about 18 crackers in).
90b03ec7-ca55-43b8-958d-322b834f4398-jpeg.51274

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just be aware that you need to use it a lot more sparingly than vegimite. (Well, I do).
I forgot to reply before, I get a big dollop of vegimite on the knife and spread it around so it covers the toast to the edges.

I forgot to order a jar of Marmite from Woolies when we put the order in yesterday, next week if I remember.

Reactions: Annb and EllieM

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have my wife's modified (added psyllium husk and sometimes garlic clove) Maria Emerich's PSMF bread with toasted black bomber cheese and marmite:

upload_2021-10-2_12-8-51.png

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
OK, I am a marmite lover. This can be a bit of an issue when you live in the Southern hemisphere, but it is available here (albeit in tiny jars with the wrong name) and my dad can be relied on to give my entire nuclear family a big jar each for Christmas.

So, traditionally, before going low carb, I used to have it with bread and butter. Now I've cut right back on the bread, so I need something else to put it on (and it slides off cucumber). Any low carb suggestions?
Low carb crackers and increase your insulin to compensate. Sorted.

Reactions: EllieM

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make it into a hot drink. Carb free and hits the Marmite spot. One teaspoon should be enough even for hardcore marmiteers, and stir well.

Reactions: EllieM

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't like marmite, but for a marmite lover try it on 90s bread - made in the microwave with ground almonds and then split and toasted.
3 Tablespoons of ground almonds
1 Tablespoon of oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
Pinch of salt (skip if your butter is salted)
mix together, spread in a small dish and cook for 90 seconds in the microwave

I add a little cream cheese to cut the eggy flavour.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Is it just me or is it getting hot in here?

upload_2021-12-12_14-52-14.png

Reactions: Speedbird

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's one in hubby's Christmas stocking. Hoping he will roast nuts in it

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There's one in hubby's Christmas stocking. Hoping he will roast nuts in it
Do give us some tasting notes in the New Year. I don't fancy my chances of scoring any in New Zealand.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gran daughter, Em, used to eat my Marmite with a teaspoon. She still likes it, but appreciates that maybe by the teaspoon is a bit over the top. She now eats Philadelphia cheese with a teaspoon. For some reason I stopped buying it, but this thread has reminded me to get some in the next shopping.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, my dad's annual gift of two large jars (second from largest, he couldn't find any of the biggest size this there because reductions in beer brewing leading to reductions in marmite production) arrived on Christmas Eve, so we're set up for another year :):):)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Amazon Au have been offering me the small jars of original Marmite since before xmas, here's the links if you need a quick fix. :D

Thanks, small jars aren't the issue, as I can get them in NZ, but with marmite jars, size does matter :). (Well, not really, but a small jar really doesn't go very far.)