Hello, My name is "Estragon" and I'm a Diabetic....

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Something of a Review here.

I exploded my diet with natural Carbs. Potatoes in a Musaka; a sumptuous homemade Root vegetable soup; too much of my low Carb Bread... you get the picture? Any way, my morning fasting numbers went from 6 to upper 7s and one 8! I got fright of my life, thinking I’d blown my year-long regaining my Endocrine System. Well, after 72 hours of prolonged stringent diet I’ve got back into the Sticky-Sixes. And then I had this afternoon a 5.2 . So, something is working.

Joking aside this has been a further recognition that I am a Diabetic. I can return to the 6s but I’ll never ever have the freedom of my previous, carefree life. But what I can do is ensure I keep control and stay within “limits” to stave-off the long term effects of Diabetes.

Now, here’s a question: Am i I good enough to stay within the 6s long term or should I try and reach-down to the 5s?

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Estragon I remember when you started. You have come a long way since then. My point of view only is that Want to keep as low as I can eating food that I can maintain eating. I think it would be so easy for me to carb creep. My job is inherently stressful and the world situation has increased the stress exponentially. I try to keep very strict with carbs because I can't do much about the stress at this stage. I do eat artificial sweeteners but I an now see a time when I will reduce or cut them out completely. I couldn't see this a year ago. They say it is a marathon not a sprint and I guess I'm still training for the 5 km to get ready for the marathon.

I think keeping the carbs as l.ow as you an maintain. is good and then trying g the occasional very low carb day and even more occasionally the higher carb day.

But most importantly be kind to yourself.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @VashtiB ! What a fulsome and supportive reply, thank you. Carb-Creep, experimenting small wanderings from the straight and narrow all your reflections mean much to me.

What strikes home is:
You have come a long way since then.

For being a diabetic it’s not as if I can reflect or notice a great change on this, other than Numbers and coming here and reading and learning and receiving support. I’ve spent time on recognising my position and moving from Victim - “I’ve done this to myself and I deserve all that I’ve got” through, “I’m angry and gonna really stick it to Diabetes!” to now, embracing new recipes and fellow/sistren experience, as part of my own Marathon. This in turn supports your good-wishes that I welcome your statement:

But most importantly be kind to yourself.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK, something happened in the last 24 hours. Oh yes....

7.1 @ 06:03
5.9 @ 13:00
6.1 @ 18:30
11.1 @ 21:30
7.1 @ 23:30
5.9@ 07:22
8.4 @ 13:30
4.1 @ 17:00 - WHAT!!!!

I rechecked on another finger and got a 4.4. Of course I’m happy, I’ve never had a 4.1. Is there something good happening to me? Sure, I’ve learnt to become disappointed, and by tomorrow I’ll be back in the Sticky-Sixes.

Last edited:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! that is such a great result- wonderful.

It's always great when your hard work seems to pay off- even if you don't get those results all the time it seems to show that all your work has actually had some bigger effect than just the day to day readings- maybe your insulin resistance has reduced. You must feel great!

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wow! that is such a great result- wonderful.
I know!!! - Thanks for the recognition @VashtiB . What is weird is that 8 and then that 4.1 . Your observation:
maybe your insulin resistance has reduced.
Is this something that happens, with this drastic swing? Have others noted this? I’ve just become so conditioned in remaining, existing in the Land of the Sticky-Sixes, that this 4.1 had come from nowhere. This morning I’m back at 6.3 .

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woah....STOP THE FRONT PAGE!!! Just had my latest HBA1C and I’ve drop 3 Points to 49 yay for me! Couldn’t have done it without all your support.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news! Going from strength to strength. I know that at some times it has been tough so even nicer that you see such great results. It is so good to see what we can achieve with the right information.

Congratulations !!!!

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congratulations !!!!
Thank you @VashtiB, yes bobbing around in the Sticky Sixes isn’t much fun, but having this drop kinda makes up for it. My portions are much smaller and I’ve sustained my weight loss post-COVID19.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello Chums!

OK, this is by way of a two-year update from my starting in here.

HBA1C has dropped from 89.00 to 46.00. This is now regarded as NORMAL by NHS.

Cholesterol dropped to near normal (+0.1 above), and enough for DR to say I don't need Statins! And this in the face of eating an LCHF diet. It was this that I was worried about - Too many Fats. However, my Cholesterol graph is dropping markedly and rapidly.

Weight down 14lbs. Yeah, this is tough.

My food intake is down.

OK, I'm now in a position that I can tell when I'll spike my A1Cs, and, more importantly, WHY I'd spike. Then what I need to do to bring them down again.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am in control and have benefitted from my approach and have strategies to cope and succeed.

Toodles - Estragon

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that is impressive. It is amazing what we can achieve with some information and encouragement- well done!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess what I'm saying is that I am in control and have benefitted from my approach and have strategies to cope and succeed.

Toodles - Estragon
Excellent work! And just the kind of statement you probably never thought you'd make when you strolled in here. Very proud of you. :)

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is amazing what we can achieve with some information and encouragement- well done!
Aw man! I missed out my BIG THANKS to all, @VashtiB, yes you especially, here that gave and still do give support, at a point when I really felt I was doomed, yes doomed - I had the Diabetic-Dooms!

I now know we are all different, especially how and what stratagems we need to employ for what type of Diabetes we have, but I do hope that my Odyssey can offer some support for those earlier on on their particular path. I now know I can’t expect to much of my cranky Endosystem, I really can’t. I now know that when I spike (A1Cs) it’s not the End of The World. I just need to calm down, look at my Meter and reflect on just how “wild” the fluctuations can be and take strength from that Evidenced-Based DATA - No hocus-pocus here.

So, having halved my HBA1C, and my Cholesterol dropped to NORMAL and THAT in the face of my HFLC diet I shall be around for sometime to come.

Luv’s Yah All - Dah Big-E :happy:

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And just the kind of statement you probably never thought you'd make when you strolled in here. Very proud of you. :)
You are a stunning person, JK, really you are! And you’re totally correct: I had the Diab-Dooms, and some. Here’s the thing, I felt guilty for being a Diab, I felt I had no hope, I felt embarrassed to admit this to family and friends - but not here. Here I felt accepted, wanted and creatively available to make sense of this Diabetes. I’ve met some astonishing people and had a larf or two along the way. Exo Forum, I now know of five of my long term chums who are Diabs and, quite frankly, the extended family don’t need to be further shackled by the knowledge of my condition, they’ve got enough to be getting on with. And again, here I also feel safe, yes safe. @JoKalsbeek, from the start you’ve shown me nothing but tolerance and acceptance, whipped-up with evidenced based results, a really heady mixture, with a Cherry on top too!

Reactions: andromache and zand

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are a stunning person, JK, really you are! And you’re totally correct: I had the Diab-Dooms, and some. Here’s the thing, I felt guilty for being a Diab, I felt I had no hope, I felt embarrassed to admit this to family and friends - but not here. Here I felt accepted, wanted and creatively available to make sense of this Diabetes. I’ve met some astonishing people and had a larf or two along the way. Exo Forum, I now know of five of my long term chums who are Diabs and, quite frankly, the extended family don’t need to be further shackled by the knowledge of my condition, they’ve got enough to be getting on with. And again, here I also feel safe, yes safe. @JoKalsbeek, from the start you’ve shown me nothing but tolerance and acceptance, whipped-up with evidenced based results, a really heady mixture, with a Cherry on top too!
Oh go on, you. (I'm not crying, nope...).

You moved mountains when you were feeling you couldn't set a foot in front of another. That makes you a hero.