Newbie to Type 2

JayBee28

Hi all,
I was diagnosed Type 2 just over 2 weeks ago. HBA1C was 51. My diet was absolutely awful so not really a surprise if I’m brutally honest. I originally asked for a blood text to check my hormone levels, as I’ve just started the menopause. I was feeling so tired during the day, especially in the afternoons.

I love sweets, chocolates, biscuits, potatoes and my favourite is pasta. Luckily, I also adore fish, chicken, turkey, berries and vegetables.

The diabetic nurse advised me not to get a monitor, but I got one anyway. My first test was over 11 which was really shocking. I have totally cut out sweets, chocolate, sugar in tea, potatoes, pasta, bread (apart from 1 slice of wholemeal). I’ve upped by protein and veg. I did a test yesterday and my level was 5.9. I’ve also increased exercise by just walking, but joining a gym next week. I’m going to take 1 x 500mg of metformin starting next week. I have a full review in 3 months. I’m chuffed with the start I’ve made, but any advice would be welcome.

I have so much more energy, the difference is unbelievable even over a couple of weeks. I need to lose about 6 stone. However, I’ve lost half a stone already!

Thanks all.

JB

Reactions: Mike d

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi all,
I was diagnosed Type 2 just over 2 weeks ago. HBA1C was 51. My diet was absolutely awful so not really a surprise if I’m brutally honest. I originally asked for a blood text to check my hormone levels, as I’ve just started the menopause. I was feeling so tired during the day, especially in the afternoons.

I love sweets, chocolates, biscuits, potatoes and my favourite is pasta. Luckily, I also adore fish, chicken, turkey, berries and vegetables.

The diabetic nurse advised me not to get a monitor, but I got one anyway. My first test was over 11 which was really shocking. I have totally cut out sweets, chocolate, sugar in tea, potatoes, pasta, bread (apart from 1 slice of wholemeal). I’ve upped by protein and veg. I did a test yesterday and my level was 5.9. I’ve also increased exercise by just walking, but joining a gym next week. I’m going to take 1 x 500mg of metformin starting next week. I have a full review in 3 months. I’m chuffed with the start I’ve made, but any advice would be welcome.

I have so much more energy, the difference is unbelievable even over a couple of weeks. I need to lose about 6 stone. However, I’ve lost half a stone already!

Thanks all.

JB
Hi, and wow what a fabulous start! Congratulations on that, and well done for disregarding your DN's advice on the meter. It is going to be your best friend and guide you through this unfortunate journey. You are a star!

JayBee28

Hi, and wow what a fabulous start! Congratulations on that, and well done for disregarding your DN's advice on the meter. It is going to be your best friend and guide you through this unfortunate journey. You are a star!
Thank you

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed Type 2 just over 2 weeks ago. HBA1C was 51.

Greetings, you're my twin, my A1c was 52 at diagnosis.

I was feeling so tired during the day, especially in the afternoons.
Snap, I used fall asleep in work all the time

I love sweets, chocolates, biscuits, potatoes and my favourite is pasta.

Snap again, I was ultra-carbing before diagnosis.

Luckily, I also adore fish, chicken, turkey, berries and vegetables.

Someone has done their homework

The diabetic nurse advised me not to get a monitor, but I got one anyway.

Someone has really done their homework

I’ve upped by protein and veg. I did a test yesterday and my level was 5.9.

My 3 week follow bloods post diagnosis dropped to 5.2 by doing exactly what you did.

Keep doing what you're doing.
I kept the low carb & the walking up & lost 5st post diagnosis.
About 6 months post remission I was slowly able to up the carbs.

4 major things in your favour
(1) Low diagnostic level
(2) Weight to lose
(3) Immediate results
(4) Done your research

I could go all night to encourage you & I'll pipe back in if you keep posting.
You're an inspiration already.

Reactions: Buster_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Before you start going to the gym, see how you react to the Metformin, as some of us are unlucky enough to experience the full and distressing consequences, and you would not want to be exerting yourself when they strike.
Some can take the tablets and are absolutely fine - I got a nice new professional standard carpet cleaner before the end of the first week.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @JayBee28 and welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on your good start.
When you say you are going to take Metformin next week, I presume that currently your Blood Glucose is compeltely lifestyle controlled and that you aren't taking any diabetes drugs.
If so, have you considered that you probably don't need to take Metformin in order to have a non-diabetic HbA1C within 3 to 6 months?
So take Metformin if you want to, but without any further changes your HbA1C is are effectively pre-diabetic or better already! Just that because it is an average over the life of your red blood cells and they live approx 3 months, the actual test will take some time to catch up with your progress!

What Metformin does is to help suppress your appetite as well as to inhibit your liver from making and dumping as much glucose into your blood stream. But as it gets accustomed to your new lower 'normal' BG levels, your liver will do that less and less without any medication.
I didn't change anything to go from an HbA1C reading in the pre-diabetic range to one in the non-diabetic, just allowed time for my liver to get accustomed to normal Blood Glucose levels.

Last edited:

JayBee28

Greetings, you're my twin, my A1c was 52 at diagnosis.

Snap, I used fall asleep in work all the time

Snap again, I was ultra-carbing before diagnosis.

Someone has done their homework

Someone has really done their homework

My 3 week follow bloods post diagnosis dropped to 5.2 by doing exactly what you did.

Keep doing what you're doing.
I kept the low carb & the walking up & lost 5st post diagnosis.
About 6 months post remission I was slowly able to up the carbs.

4 major things in your favour
(1) Low diagnostic level
(2) Weight to lose
(3) Immediate results
(4) Done your research

I could go all night to encourage you & I'll pipe back in if you keep posting.
You're an inspiration already.
Thank you so much for your encouragement, it really helps.

JayBee28

Before you start going to the gym, see how you react to the Metformin, as some of us are unlucky enough to experience the full and distressing consequences, and you would not want to be exerting yourself when they strike.
Some can take the tablets and are absolutely fine - I got a nice new professional standard carpet cleaner before the end of the first week.
Thank you for the information, I have decided not to take the tablets, but see how I get on during the first three months

JayBee28

Hi @JayBee28 and welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on your good start.
When you say you are going to take Metformin next week, I presume that currently your Blood Glucose is compeltely lifestyle controlled and that you aren't taking any diabetes drugs.
If so, have you considered that you probably don't need to take Metformin in order to have a non-diabetic HbA1C within 3 to 6 months?
So take Metformin if you want to, but without any further changes your HbA1C is are effectively pre-diabetic or better already! Just that because it is an average over the life of your red blood cells and they live approx 3 months, the actual test will take some time to catch up with your progress!

What Metformin does is to help suppress your appetite as well as to inhibit your liver from making and dumping as much glucose into your blood stream. But as it gets accustomed to your new lower 'normal' BG levels, your liver will do that less and less without any medication.
I didn't change anything to go from an HbA1C reading in the pre-diabetic range to one in the non-diabetic, just allowed time for my liver to get accustomed to normal Blood Glucose levels.
Thank you so much for the information, very useful.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Some great advice above. I can feel the enthusiasm the other posters have, as we can see you are a responder, by your immediate progress.

I would add to try to incorporate your walking after meals, for greater benefit. When you go to the gym focus the majority of your effort into resistance training; as this has pay backs further into the future.