Newly Diagnosed

Mubaali

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone
I am diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on June this year at the age of 38.My dad had it and lost his kidneys and eyes to it.He died at age of 62 due Type 2 complications.

This forum given me much of knowledge and ideas to deal with stress and how to lead your life with diabetes.
I am aware of Type 2 diabetes running in my family and one day I will also get it but never expected this early to happen .
Hba1c -66

I have been told to take Metformin (1000 mg) and increase it if need but I have used for 2 week felt so terrible and week.so stopped and start to do low carb diet and lost 8 kg in 2 months now.Also testing blood sugar frequently and on average my BG stay @ 5.4 mmol/l .Most of the days Fasting blood sugar stay between 4.8 to 5.3 , some days hit the mark of 6.3 to 6.6 if had any carbs previous day.But if I take Metformin even with some carbs(150 mg) my blood sugar stay between 4.8 and 5.6.

So i want some advise is it good to stay on diet or use Metformin ? Also I lost libido or may be feel like it due to tired and stressed.
Do I need to struck to Metformin as NHS prescribed or continue with diet?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi everyone
I am diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on June this year at the age of 38.My dad had it and lost his kidneys and eyes to it.He died at age of 62 due Type 2 complications.

This forum given me much of knowledge and ideas to deal with stress and how to lead your life with diabetes.
I am aware of Type 2 diabetes running in my family and one day I will also get it but never expected this early to happen .
Hba1c -66

I have been told to take Metformin (1000 mg) and increase it if need but I have used for 2 week felt so terrible and week.so stopped and start to do low carb diet and lost 8 kg in 2 months now.Also testing blood sugar frequently and on average my BG stay @ 5.4 mmol/l .Most of the days Fasting blood sugar stay between 4.8 to 5.3 , some days hit the mark of 6.3 to 6.6 if had any carbs previous day.But if I take Metformin even with some carbs(150 mg) my blood sugar stay between 4.8 and 5.6.

So i want some advise is it good to stay on diet or use Metformin ? Also I lost libido or may be feel like it due to tired and stressed.
Hi Mubaali and welcome to the forum. Metformin 'can' reduce libido as I have personally known two people who this happened to. You are doing REALLY well with your diet by the sounds of things though and perhaps you should just carry on with that as it is working for you? A lot on here will tell you that they disregarded their medical advise to stay on Metformin and have succeeded so if it makes you ill then the decision to ditch the pills may be the right one for you?

Reactions: Mubaali

Mubaali

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mubaali and welcome to the forum. Metformin 'can' reduce libido as I have personally known two people who this happened to. You are doing REALLY well with your diet by the sounds of things though and perhaps you should just carry on with that as it is working for you? A lot on here will tell you that they disregarded their medical advise to stay on Metformin and have succeeded so if it makes you ill then the decision to ditch the pills may be the right one for you?
Thanks @coby , I feel terrible and tired if I take Metformin but when you see numbers down with Metformin feel like should I need to take atleast one for day .
I test FBG and after breakfast (2 hours) and after dinner (2hours) is this more than enough to determine average BG level or do I need to take more frequently?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @coby , I feel terrible and tired if I take Metformin but when you see numbers down with Metformin feel like should I need to take atleast one for day .
I test FBG and after breakfast (2 hours) and after dinner (2hours) is this more than enough to determine average BG level or do I need to take more frequently?
It really depends on your diet @Mubaali as the idea is to test just prior to a meal and then two hours after to see how much you rise with that particular meal. I only now test in the morning and two hours after breakfast, or if I try a meal that I've not had before. I have reduced to non-diabetic blood glucose levels in just under seven weeks, after following a low carb way of eating, and lost 20lbs too. I am still on one Metformin with breakfast but my nurse says she will remove that if my bgl remains in the non-diabetic level at my next review. I was one of the few lucky one s who had no symptoms with Metformin :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Hba1c -66

Hi @Mubaali ,

Your blood sugars are under excellent control with or without metformin. Your blood sugars are in the normal range whether you take it or not, so... Considering it makes you feel awful and weak, and you're doing well without, why not go without? No-one is going to force you to take it with numbers solidly in the normal range. And even then, a doc can advise,but not stand next to you in the morning and slap your fingers with a ruler if you refuse to take it. I do think it may affect your libido, (I know I don't care for it when I'm knackered or ill!) though that could also be partly due to the stress of diagnosis. But literally go with your gut on this.

Good luck eh!
Jo

Reactions: DJC3 and Mubaali

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mubaali you’ve already achieved so much! Well done for your determination to get on top of it. It must have been terrible to watch your father suffer in that way.
I’d agree with the others, if metformin is making you feel ill, and you have such good blood glucose control without it, then why not stop?
My HbA1c was also 66 on diagnosis and I too was started on metformin. I discontinued it after a year or so because it gave me gastric problems at times and I felt Empowered enough by the info I’d gleaned on this forum to control my blood sugars by diet alone. I’ve been in non diabetic range at all my reviews since but I wouldn’t discount ever taking it again if I need or want to in future.
Please let us know how you get on at your review in December, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with the results.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Mubaali

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Mubaali you’ve already achieved so much! Well done for your determination to get on top of it. It must have been terrible to watch your father suffer in that way.
I’d agree with the others, if metformin is making you feel ill, and you have such good blood glucose control without it, then why not stop?
My HbA1c was also 66 on diagnosis and I too was started on metformin. I discontinued it after a year or so because it gave me gastric problems at times and I felt Empowered enough by the info I’d gleaned on this forum to control my blood sugars by diet alone. I’ve been in non diabetic range at all my reviews since but I wouldn’t discount ever taking it again if I need or want to in future.
Please let us know how you get on at your review in December, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with the results.
@DJC3 Might I also just add my congratulations to YOU also with your obviously admirable bgl control :)

Reactions: DJC3 and Mubaali

Mubaali

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @DJC3 .

Because I am newly diagnosed thoughts always running around my mind that is it ok to stop Metformin or I am doing wrong to end up on much worst situation.

But now much confident than before after going though stories in the forum.

Reactions: SlimLizzy and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Might I also just add my congratulations to YOU also with your obviously admirable bgl control :)

That’s so kind, thank you. You’re no slouch yourself though, you are doing fantastically well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 .

Because I am newly diagnosed thoughts always running around my mind that is it ok to stop Metformin or I am doing wrong to end up on much worst situation.

But now much confident than before after going though stories in the forum.

You are definitely in the right place for support with this condition. It’s so daunting to begin with I know, but it does get less scary the more you learn about it and how to control it.
Ask as many questions as you need to, there are loads of people here happy to help.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Mubaali

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking the tablets as I was really ill after only a few weeks.
Over 4 years later I am still staying in the normal ranges and feel very well, just by eating a low carb diet.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Hba1c -66

Hi and welcome and well done on the success so far. I have no experience of Metformin at all so I can assure you that BG can be sharply reduced with diet alone. Your numbers are excellent and you should see the difference in your A1c in December, all being well.