How long after T2 diagnosis did you start insulin

Tannith

BANNED
There have been discussions on another thread about how long it takes for a T2 to need insulin. Obviously it must vary between individuals but I wondered if the stories are right about it taking around 10 years? (I'm not on it myself) So I thought we might get answers straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
3 weeks.
But then again, I was rediagnosed as a T1 two years later, although my T1 diagnosis isn't completely certain.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My brother - 8 years from diagnosis, after working his way through all the other available diabetes meds.

my father - 30 years from diagnosis. He was 78 at the time

Me - no diabetes meds yet after 10+ years since diagnosis

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My father (who, for what it's worth, lives entirely on bread, baked beans, potatoes and fruit) isn't on insulin yet, and he was diagnosed in about 1995.

EDIT: Just in case there's any confusion, I'm definitely *not* saying eating these foods is advisable or even OK. I'm just saying that my elderly dad- stuck in his ways and a firm believer in his NHS caregivers who taught him to load up on carbs, isn't on insulin yet.

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
My father (who, for what it's worth, lives entirely on bread, baked beans, potatoes and fruit) isn't on insulin yet, and he was diagnosed in about 1995.
Well that's good news. That's pretty much what I've been living on since Covid started. (Plus porridge).

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 10 years with only metformin from time to time. At the moment I just take 1 BP tablet.

Reactions: saky

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been discussions on another thread about how long it takes for a T2 to need insulin. Obviously it must vary between individuals but I wondered if the stories are right about it taking around 10 years? (I'm not on it myself) So I thought we might get answers straight from the horse's mouth as it were.
Past 10 years and gone backwards from drugs so heading away from insulin rather than towards

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
This thread is scaring me
Do people really eat all these almost life threatening foods!!!

• Agree
Reactions: TriciaWs

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Some, but I would suggest not many and certainly not I.

OP: 8 years, diet and exercise, to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: saky and coby

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
16 and a half years diagnosed only med for T2 is Metformin, with some breaks from that, too.
I lost a lot of weight. Still have some that refuses to leave. Manage now with low carb, some healthy fats, and two meals a day in an 8 hour eating window.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some, but I would suggest not many and certainly not I.

OP: 8 years, diet and exerise, to date.
You should take a look at some of the Facebook type 2 groups. The eatwell/sad plate is alive and kicking (all the way to the grave). The mentality in this forum is very much not that of the great majority of the public. Usually through their own and their professionals ignorance or denial and desperation to maintain the status quo. Having been in here since diagnosis it was a shock to see how awfully for their condition most type 2 choose to eat.

Reactions: NaijaChick

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You should take a look at some of the Facebook type 2 groups. The eatwell/sad plate is alive and kicking (all the way to the grave). The mentality in this forum is very much not that of the great majority of the public. Usually through their own and their professionals ignorance or denial and desperation to maintain the status quo. Having been in here since diagnosis it was a shock to see how awfully for their condition most type 2 choose to eat.
Agreed.
At my last review with the DB I asked how many T2 covered by the practise were in remission. Not many came the reply. She then looked up my history and noted that I have only once been in the diabetir range for my HbA1c, when I was diagnosed.

No interest in how I managed this....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My dad has been T2 for about ten years, and moved to metformin and then gliclazide. 3 or 4 years ago he went low carb and got taken off all meds, though his hba1c is in the low diabetic range. I think the reasoning is that at 91 it's much more dangerous for him to fall from a hypo than to have an hba1c of 50 for ten years... Certainly no danger of him moving to insulin that I can see.

Hotpepper20000

I have no reason to go on insulin. My body produces way too much as it is. I’m very insulin resistant so. My goal for the last ten years has been to to become more insulin sensitive by going very low carb and shortening my eating window.

Reactions: EllieM and HSSS

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed in 2007, metformin from 2014 and insulin from last month

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My dad does, yes. Exclusively in fact. Of course, when he was diagnosed in the 1990's I would imagine the NHS advice was even more carb based than it is now, and he will have followed doctors' advice strictly. Possibly the fact that he's very physically active kept him from complications- I don't know. I can say he's very fit and strong in his mid 70's though.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
5 and a half years, many combinations of meds, vlchf diet, nothing was working, very frustrating. Felt like a failure.

(eventually rediagnosed if you accept certain criteria)

Reactions: NaijaChick