Travelling

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just started to plan an overseas trip, my first since type 1 diagnosis. I will be away from home for three weeks, with two 10 hour flights. What would you recommend for a sharps container and disposal? I’d also appreciate hearing your thoughts on injecting on the plane and how you handle that.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I’ve just started to plan an overseas trip, my first since type 1 diagnosis. I will be away from home for three weeks, with two 10 hour flights. What would you recommend for a sharps container and disposal? I’d also appreciate hearing your thoughts on injecting on the plane and how you handle that.
You can buy small pocket-sized sharps containers that fit into your hand luggage. Inject insulin as you do anywhere. If you have a sensor, for example, a Libre, be prepared for it to be exposed and scanned going through security.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a plastic flip top chewing gum container for used needles when flying. I inject sitting in my seat.
Diabetes travel.jpg

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can buy small pocket-sized sharps containers that fit into your hand luggage. Inject insulin as you do anywhere. If you have a sensor, for example, a Libre, be prepared for it to be exposed and scanned going through security.
OK, great, thank. I will look for a smaller sharps container. And yes, be prepared for the scanner too

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a plastic flip top chewing gum container for used needles when flying. I inject sitting in my seat.
View attachment 51624
Thank you. I’m looking forward to needing those excessive blobs of sunscreen and a stylish sunglasses after all of the covid confinement.
You haven’t had problems from neighbours when injecting while in your seat? Maybe I don’t need to be as worried.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I’m looking forward to needing those excessive blobs of sunscreen and a stylish sunglasses after all of the covid confinement.
You haven’t had problems from neighbours when injecting while in your seat? Maybe I don’t need to be as worried.
Never had a problem injecting, I do it discretely and my wife is usually in the seat next to me.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When Australia open it's borders to international travel, visitors will need to have a covid vaccination certificate showing two covid vaccinations on it.

So you need to check the country that you want to go to see what their rules are for entry.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Make sure all your diabetic stuff is in your hand luggage, and have extra. Although I've only once needed it in a few decades of international flights a letter from your doctor saying you are on T1 with insulin (and ideally any other meds you are on) can be useful, though most airlines are very used to diabetics. I usually just tell the security folk that I'm diabetic and have all my insulin stuff in my bag, and all is good. Not sure if you still need to put your insulin in a clear plastic bag? (It's been a while since I've flown.)

Make sure your glucose tablets (or equivalent) are easily accessible (pockets). Trying to go through airport security with a hypo is no fun and you don't want to be hypo in a plane with the seatbelt sign on and your glucose in the overhead locker.

Most important, have a great trip. Enjoy :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When travelling, I just use a small plastic water bottle and decant the needles into my sharps container when I get home,
I inject whilst in my seat in a plane. It is much more stable than injecting whilst on a train.

As @EllieM says, keep all diabetes kit in your hand luggage and request a letter for travel from your diabetes consultant (a GP may charge). I have needed my letter a couple of times in over a hundred flights but would rather have it and not need it than not have it when requested.
I only mention diabetes when asked. This includes telling the luggage check in when they ask if I have any sharp items in my hand luggage. I have never needed to tell security or the plane crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When Australia open it's borders to international travel, visitors will need to have a covid vaccination certificate showing two covid vaccinations on it.

So you need to check the country that you want to go to see what their rules are for entry.
Yes, thank you. I’ve had two appropriate vaccinations, but it seems things change quite often anyway, so will keep checking.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure all your diabetic stuff is in your hand luggage, and have extra. Although I've only once needed it in a few decades of international flights a letter from your doctor saying you are on T1 with insulin (and ideally any other meds you are on) can be useful, though most airlines are very used to diabetics. I usually just tell the security folk that I'm diabetic and have all my insulin stuff in my bag, and all is good. Not sure if you still need to put your insulin in a clear plastic bag? (It's been a while since I've flown.)

Make sure your glucose tablets (or equivalent) are easily accessible (pockets). Trying to go through airport security with a hypo is no fun and you don't want to be hypo in a plane with the seatbelt sign on and your glucose in the overhead locker.

Good idea on the letter. I don’t go until June but my GP did mention recently that if I was to travel once our restrictions ended that she would provide me with a letter just in case I needed one.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When travelling, I just use a small plastic water bottle and decant the needles into my sharps container when I get home,
I inject whilst in my seat in a plane. It is much more stable than injecting whilst on a train.

As @EllieM says, keep all diabetes kit in your hand luggage and request a letter for travel from your diabetes consultant (a GP may charge). I have needed my letter a couple of times in over a hundred flights but would rather have it and not need it than not have it when requested.
I only mention diabetes when asked. This includes telling the luggage check in when they ask if I have any sharp items in my hand luggage. I have never needed to tell security or the plane crew.
Thank you. Interesting that people are mentioning just injecting while in their seat. I was diagnosed this summer and still haven’t ventured into the wild with insulin! The water bottle sounds convenient. Apparently the Greek island I’m going to has a pharmacy so maybe I’ll be able to dispose of a bottle there and start a clean one for the trip back.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Good point on the easily accessible glucose tablets. I hadn’t thought of the possibility of needing them when the seatbelt sign is on.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
take extra insulin,,

letter from your doctor that you are a diabetic you might need it in the airport.
some glucose tablet for hypo. Candy or anything not liquid.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
take extra insulin,,

letter from your doctor that you are a diabetic you might need it in the airport.
some glucose tablet for hypo. Candy or anything not liquid.
Thank you. Seems like the doctors letter is a good idea, I’ll be going through a few airports.

ROE100

MommaE

Just a head up if you ask your GP doctor for a letter they usually charge for this.

I use to have a letter, which I had to put a small donation in the donation tin rather than pay the doctor fee others have suggested ask a nurse or if you have one your consultant at the hospital.

However I have since getting the letter back in the early 2000's I have never shown or even asked about my things, so I don't take the letter with me anymore. I do take my repeat prescribtion and also try to take the box (flaten) which as the pharmacy label on.

In regard to inject I just inject in my seat after seeing what was on my meal tray.

Have fun on your travels.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin needs to go in clear plastic bags take as much as you want there is no limit on meds
Inject where you sit
Enjoy your trip !

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MommaE

Just a head up if you ask your GP doctor for a letter they usually charge for this.

I use to have a letter, which I had to put a small donation in the donation tin rather than pay the doctor fee others have suggested ask a nurse or if you have one your consultant at the hospital.

However I have since getting the letter back in the early 2000's I have never shown or even asked about my things, so I don't take the letter with me anymore. I do take my repeat prescribtion and also try to take the box (flaten) which as the pharmacy label on.

In regard to inject I just inject in my seat after seeing what was on my meal tray.

Have fun on your travels.
Thank you. I live relatively close to the US border so we regularly drive across, or used to pre covid. The US border staff always asked if you were carrying medication and the next question was always “ do you have the original container” although one time they did tell me it was sufficient to have a photograph of the original container.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Interesting that people are mentioning just injecting while in their seat. I was diagnosed this summer and still haven’t ventured into the wild with insulin! The water bottle sounds convenient. Apparently the Greek island I’m going to has a pharmacy so maybe I’ll be able to dispose of a bottle there and start a clean one for the trip back.

I love these for travel - Just cuts the needle and stores the cut needle safety.

https://www.amazon.com/Bd-Needle-Cl...etics&qid=1634488415&sprefix=needle+cu&sr=8-3