"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Hypafix, the other one is Tegaderm.
I feel much better using a patch, as i don't need to pay attention when dressing/undressing, walking through doors and of course swimming.

Tegaderm is the one I was trying to remember, thanks, it’s been driving me mad!

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My chest started getting tight again a couple of weeks ago but this week I have developed a really nasty cold - hoping it will sort itself out soon. Not feeling like eating so no meals to speak of for the last couple of days.

Em stayed overnight last night. I was going to put her off because of the cold, but didn't want to disappoint her and I probably caught the cold from her anyway. So she stayed - neither of us got much sleep - she got up each time that I did so that she could "look after" me. Made me a cup of weak, milky tea with sugar in it "only one spoon". She ended up drinking it herself.

We went shopping this morning - I went so that I could take over if Neil felt unable to drive because of his shoulder. Em went to push the trolley around the supermarket while Neil picked things from the shelves. It worked well. Then we dropped her with her sister who has a new house in Stornoway, so she'll be helpful there.

Not sure what the name of the patches are that I bought. They are clear plastic and quite difficult for me to apply. This morning Neil put one one for me - it's already started peeling off. Just my skin, I suppose.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ordered some meat from our local meat to be delivered tomorrow as he has got pork ribs on special again.

I got a phone call from my GP yesterday to tell me she has changed my painkiller medication, she has increased the Fentanyl patches from 12.5 to 25 mcg with a month supply of 10 patches. The Oxycodone 5 mg tablets have stayed the same, but she increased the prescription so it includes one repeat script.

When I was talking to the receptionist when ordering new scripts, I mentioned it was a PITA phoning up as I forget till I nearly run out and have to ration them. So she must have passed the message on to the Doc.

I asked about cutting 10 mg Oxycodone tablets in half so I have 2 x 5 mg, a big no no there as the 10 mg and larger come in capsule form.

Here's a pix of those ribs from the butchers facebook page.

247240460_1867980206723043_8141918148297317469_n.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil's not well today and i needed a prescription from the local pharmacy. So I forced myself to drive the 1/4 mile (thinking all along of the fact that, when we were young, we disdained even to catch a bus to the town 11/2 miles away. We walked everywhere - miles and miles with our dad - all around the local villages in Kent). It just about killed me and I went and forgot to ask for lateral flow tests which I will need to go on the plane to Inverness next Wednesday. I'll have to get No 2 son to go for me while on his delivery.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My cold has greatly improved today, so I'm feeling much more cheerful, but Neil now has a worsening cold and is feeling dreadful. He also tells me that since the cold started, it seems to have made his shoulder worse again, so he's not a happy bunny! We're hoping it will clear as quickly as mine has.

No 2 son saw a surgeon at the hospital (a different one to the one he saw before) and was just explaining to him that he was managing his gall bladder issue most of the time by being very careful about eating (which has led to a dramatic weight loss over the last month). But he didn't get very far before the surgeon interrupted him with: "just hold it there. There is only one way this is going - it can only get worse now. I propose that we put you on the list for surgery and take out the gall bladder as soon as possible. You are not going to get better by managing the condition." So that's him told! Don't know how long the waiting list is though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Much improved today so I went to the pharmacy myself. Lateral flow tests look complicated, but I'll work it out. Neil's worse today but I'm almost back to normal. Just about the worst cold I have ever had.

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did my first lateral flow test yesterday, so that I can get on the plane to Inverness on Wednesday. What a to do! Simple enough to do the test, if rather unpleasant, but reporting the result...

If I had a smart phone I could have reported it very simply using the website but I don't have a smart phone. So I worked through the questionnaire on the website and only at the end did it indicate that I couldn't use the website but had to phone in the result (using my landline, of course). On phoning (and going through all the press 1 or 2, then 1 or 2 and 1 or 2 again) I got through to a person and had to answer all the questionnaire questions again. Very pleasant young woman took all the answers and I received an e-mail confirming the result that I had phoned in. No way is that a secure system - I could have said anything and how would they know? Then, to confirm the test number there was one of those bar code kind of things to scan into the smart phone! (Q something or other) The alternative was to read off a serial number for which I had to use my reading glasses and a magnifying glass together - and my eyesight is supposed to be very good. I managed but some others wouldn't unless they had help. Not impressed!

Over and above that, I note that in Scotland we have to pay for the call, while in the rest of the UK they don't! Not that the cost was great, but it's the principle. Mind - I don't know if in the rest of the UK people have to pay for the test kit. I got mine on prescription.

Neil is being very slow in recovering but he's looking a bit more alive than dead this morning.

No 2 son just came in with the mail and dripped all over the kitchen floor. He was soaked through and even his shoes were full of water - that's just going in and out from the van. Had to mop the puddles up from the floor. It's that wet here at present.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb just wanted to send a hug and best wishes for tomorrow.what an early start too hope both journey and investigations go well take care

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 how did you find bake off this week? Noticed you were planning to watch. I found this one the most temptation especially the baklava it used to be a favourite used to get really small bits in Waitrose and they were a treat reminded me still I’m sure if I was tempted to taste it would taste too sweet am I convincing myself?

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 how did you find bake off this week? Noticed you were planning to watch. I found this one the most temptation especially the baklava it used to be a favourite used to get really small bits in Waitrose and they were a treat reminded me still I’m sure if I was tempted to taste it would taste too sweet am I convincing myself?

I’m also trying to convince myself that baclava would be too sweet now.
I could have eaten any of those pies though!
I think George had a lucky escape this week.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m also trying to convince myself that baclava would be too sweet now.
I could have eaten any of those pies though!
He didn't half! Hubby was saying - Next week George, next week.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't tempted by anything this week :angelic: , except maybe to try the dough for chouxnuts as a challenge to make and cook. Hadn't heard of them before and used to pride myself on my choux pastry. As pastries go, choux isn't too bad carb wise is it? I used to make appetisers of savoury choux with cheese and bacon or chorizo in, filled with cream cheese

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please no spoilers or I'll have to unfollow this thread!
It seems it takes a few days before it comes online on the website I found so I haven't gotten past German week yet!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As pastries go, choux isn't too bad carb wise is it? I used to make appetisers of savoury choux with cheese and bacon or chorizo in, filled with cream cheese
This sounds delicious!
And yes, if you're going to bake, choux is the best choice, carb wise, lots of air and no sugar. :)
Can you tell me a bit more on how you made those appetisers? :hungry:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please no spoilers or I'll have to unfollow this thread!
It seems it takes a few days before it comes online on the website I found so I haven't gotten past German week yet!

Oh sorry, I didn’t realise.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh sorry, I didn’t realise.
I can live with the knowledge that George had a luckt escape, that's not much of a spoiler :)
And I have no problem at all with knowing what they need to bake, that's something to look forward to!
Just don't tell me who's out, or surprising details!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can live with the knowledge that George had a luckt escape, that's not much of a spoiler :)
And I have no problem at all with knowing what they need to bake, that's something to look forward to!
Just don't tell me who's out, or surprising details!

My lips are sealed! I’ll await your verdict on this weeks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm away at the moment, but when I get back home I'll try and find the recipe for you
Thank you!
Not sure I dare to make them, as they sound too delicious to stop eating after a sensible amount, but maybe when it's my birthday or such. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Em and her dad met us at the airport yesterday afternoon and, as usual she came running to meet us, as though we'd been away for years. "Are you allright, Grannie?" I assured her I was fine and her mum told her: "Guess what. The doctor told Grannie that she's a fatty lump!" At which Em threw her arms around me in sympathy, objecting that the doctor shouldn't have said any such thing. "You're not a fatty lump, Grannie!" I explained that the doctor had said that the lump that I found was just a "fatty lump" whereupon she threw her arms around me again to comfort me. She's a sweet child.

Reactions: maglil55