What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Spent the rest of the day at a type 2 friend’s house, she’s struggling with low carb, but I kept her on the wagon today :)
Lunch: ham with leafy salad and avocado.
Late afternoon: coffee shop cappuccino and a Carb Killa bar
Dinner: Keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Early afternoon 2 liebkuchen gingerbread hearts
I love lebkuchen!
I had them from some German guests/customers on the ship I worked on, and they're so good!

Third day of tomato soup, which was the last of my soup.
Still unwell with a nasty cold, and I can't think of anything I'd rather eat than this tomato soup, so I think I'll make more of it tomorrow, ridiculous as it sounds after 3 days of soup.
Still,if it works, it works!

I've also made nutty chocolate things, lots of walnuts, dark chocolate, nut butter and spices. :)

The crumbs are next to my bed to have as a midnight snack, and there's lots more in the freezer and fridge, as I started with 325 grams of chocolate, 225 of nut butter (hazelnut and almond), and enough walnuts to almost not completely cover them by the chocolate! :hungry:

Reactions: DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't think of anything I'd rather eat than this tomato soup, so I think I'll make more of it tomorrow, ridiculous as it sounds after 3 days of soup.
Still,if it works, it works!
To add a bit of decadance to your tomato soup, add a tin of crab meat and extra cream to it while it is nearly finished cooking.

Yumcious! said the black and white catto. :D

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was hungry (odd time to be hungry, for me) so I have just had a Ryvita with butter and chopped nuts. Within minutes of eating I am feeling rather hot, guess it spiked my sugar. I have not tested but I am sure its nudged it. Too tired to test now - off to bed, night night all x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the m and s smoked cheese slices

Ah I remember you saying this a while ago. Whenever I go to M&S I alway pick up a pack but I can never remember why! Thanks for the reminder. ( it’s no real hardship I always eat it anyway!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the pasta suggestions, Gouda,cheddar and smoked cheese slices. Blanched cabbage, mortadella. I’ve seen courgette ribbons mentioned somewhere too.
I usually make the DietDoctor keto pasta sheets which are very good but a lot more faff than all the above. Lasagne definitely in the menu this week.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That wasn't all she had,........................ trust me. (A little birdy told me. :) :angelic::angelic::angelic:)

Haha I can imagine! And I don’t blame her - my avatar is a constant lovely reminder of the joys of a big Brazilian meat meal.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just dipping in to ask about mulled wine. I do my main shop in Sainsburys and they have their Taste the Difference bottles which is 11% alc volume and they say contains spices, orange peel and vanilla. I am thinking a glass heated while watching Strictly tonight might be just the ticket. Its not worth me making h/m for one mug at a time. might have to road test…anyone with experience?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As often happens, it got to time to prep the gammon steak, etc for my 2nd meal, but couldn't be bothered. So I just went without after all. Did have a cup of milky cocoa before bed though. Got up after 21/2 hours but fell asleep in the chair for a while, so went back to bed and didn't wake up until 10.30.

Breakfast: the same idea as my chicken cocktail the other day, but with smoked salmon instead.

I did also take a large pork chop out of the freezer yesterday to have today, so I will have to do something with that and never mind the gammon - it will keep a bit longer. I really will try to cook and eat some time today. Otherwise it's just a waste of perfectly good food.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To add a bit of decadance to your tomato soup, add a tin of crab meat and extra cream to it while it is nearly finished cooking.

Yumcious! said the black and white catto. :D
I already added a generous amount of cream to the soup, wonderful trick to make just about anything taste great and to get some extra calories in when you're not hungry. :)

Not sure they even sell tins of crab meat around here, but if they do they'll be very expensive so I won't use them when my sense of taste and smell is off with a cold. Cat disagrees. He'll have to make do with meatballs again, poor thing!

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I already added a generous amount of cream to the soup, wonderful trick to make just about anything taste great and to get some extra calories in when you're not hungry. :)

Not sure they even sell tins of crab meat around here, but if they do they'll be very expensive so I won't use them when my sense of taste and smell is off with a cold. Cat disagrees. He'll have to make do with meatballs again, poor thing!

I usually add double cream to tomato soup, along with quite a lot of butter. But then I always add butter to anything with a liquid base - not necessarily cream to everything. Since my recent food experiment with tinned crab, I shan't be bothering to add that to anything. It's just a matter of personal taste, of course, and I know many people love crab in any shape or form, but not me. My only other experience with crab was one that a fishmonger gave me about 47 years ago - it was still alive and he put it into a cardboard box, which it proceeded to drag around the boot of the car and then the kitchen floor until I gave it to a neighbour for her family to eat. No idea what it would have tasted like but that put me off the idea of crab for years.

Your poor cat, @Antje77, imagine having to make do with meatballs when you might have had tomato soup.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
7 this morning - it was the pesky Ryvita in the early hours I think, plus I didn't get to sleep till 3 am :sorry: very unrestful

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just dipping in to ask about mulled wine. I do my main shop in Sainsburys and they have their Taste the Difference bottles which is 11% alc volume and they say contains spices, orange peel and vanilla. I am thinking a glass heated while watching Strictly tonight might be just the ticket. Its not worth me making h/m for one mug at a time. might have to road test…anyone with experience?

I always think of mulled wine as being quite sweet but if there’s no sugar in the ingredients I’d say go for it and keep everything crossed! Please let us know if it’s nice and doesn’t cause a spike, I’d quite like a mug of it too!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch- 2 tuna muffins and an Advent choc
Dinner- flexing my Christmas muscles with a couple of trial side dishes: Roast duck with sautéed shredded sprouts&chorizo, braised red cabbage and baked aubergine. Keto fitness club cranberry chutney on the side. DGF cake afterwards.
@Antje77 has the tomato soup done the trick and made you feel better? Sorry I couldn’t make it over in time to try some.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe, that in the Uk alcoholic drinks don't have to displays ingredients or nutrition information and many of them have huge amounts of added sugars, mulled wine being one of them.

On a slight tangent on Saturday kitchen yesterday they were making variations on hot chocolate one of which was a mulled wine hot chocolate. Turns out, when I found the recipe on line , there is 400g (weight) of sugar added to a bottle of wine with spices to make the mulled wine, then 500g (weight) of dark chocolate stirred into it. No wonder it was the tasters favourite!

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 has the tomato soup done the trick and made you feel better? Sorry I couldn’t make it over in time to try some.
Nope, it seems to be a very clingy cold which doesn't want to leave me, it's been with me for over a week now! :mad:
On the other hand, I think this is the first time in over 4 years I have a cold, so not much to complain about. :)
I made a new pot of tomato soup today, I can't really think of anything I'd rather eat, despite having eaten tomato soup for three days already. Usually I don't even feel soup is a meal by itself, no matter if the ingredients tell me it is.

Still, looking forward to my soup, so all is fine!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually cooked and ate my pork chop, so that's a plus. The trick was to prep the whole thing (chop, onions and plums) early on and then only to have to throw it into the oven. And then, to eat it before I start feeling nauseous, which does happen when I wait too long between meals.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The trick was to prep the whole thing (chop, onions and plums) early on and then only to have to throw it into the oven.
That's a trick I often use! Prep everything preppable early afternoon so it's just the last bits to do come mealtime, or I'll procrastinate long enough to decide it's now too late for cooking.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d be worried about added sugar why not get a box of their Shiraz or Malbec - it will last in box a long while. you could make up a spiced syrup with spices, some peel and some sweetener and keep in fridge then mix and warm? You could then just mix a glass as a time. I’m not keen on mulled wine but have made batches in past for parties and the spiced sweet syrup seemed to be what made it a success. Good luck.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban