Frozen cauliflower rice with green bits in it?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just opened a new packet of frozen cauliflower rice from tesco's and noticed there is green bits through each of the 4 individual packets - this is not the 1st time this has happened with me and I was just wondering if they should be there - any thoughts - before I return them again?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just opened a new packet of frozen cauliflower rice from tesco's and noticed there is green bits through each of the 4 individual packets - this is not the 1st time this has happened with me and I was just wondering if they should be there - any thoughts - before I return them again?
Cauliflower leaf?

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tasted a bit of the greenery to see if it says "Hi!", as it might a bit of someone's waccy baccy in the packets. :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I bet - I thought it must be something obvious with it being in almost every packet but it does put me off eating it ...
I have the cauliflower leaves braised in butter often. They are tasty and nutritious. Until relatively recently they were prepared for eating by people as a matter of course, as are broccoli stalks and carrot tops.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Broccoli stalks are lovely, I always use them. Agree that cauliflower leaves are tasty too.

Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Off topic, (so other mods can delete :)) we had cauliflower (bought) and broccoli (green and purple, both home grown) yesterday and it was yummy, even though the broccoli had yellow bits because it was starting to flower.

Back on topic, did the packet have a picture of the rice and was there green in that?

BoringBrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework
I used to buy that from Tesco, with the green bits. Didn’t really like it that much, but it was okay.
Had a go at making my own due to shortages, what an improvement, and so easy to do (if you have a food processor).
Chopped shallots fried in butter with garlic, ginger and sliced peppers. Add the cauliflower and mix into the butter, cover for 5 minutes on low heat and it’s done.
I decant into take away containers and freeze. Give it a go, cheaper and better than fried rice from the Chinese

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Off topic, (so other mods can delete :)) we had cauliflower (bought) and broccoli (green and purple, both home grown) yesterday and it was yummy, even though the broccoli had yellow bits because it was starting to flower.

Back on topic, did the packet have a picture of the rice and was there green in that?
There are no green bits in the picture on the front of the bag - that is why I am wondering if it is ok or not

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There are no green bits in the picture on the front of the bag - that is why I am wondering if it is ok or not

Maybe you should take a picture of the bags and email the manufacturer (nicely). My guess is it's OK and you may score some freebies....

Reactions: Mrs T 123

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm fairly sure it is just bits of leaf. When we grind our own Cauli rice, we leave the very small inside leaves on (mostly they are white, but some are green.
Alternatively it may be that they made some 'green' rice just before i.e. same but from grinding broccoli and traces 'contaminated ' the production line.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
could you have picked up the version with herbs in by mistake?