1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Frozen cauliflower rice with green bits in it?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mrs T 123, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have just opened a new packet of frozen cauliflower rice from tesco's and noticed there is green bits through each of the 4 individual packets - this is not the 1st time this has happened with me and I was just wondering if they should be there - any thoughts - before I return them again?

2. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cauliflower leaf?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you tasted a bit of the greenery to see if it says "Hi!", as it might a bit of someone's waccy baccy in the packets. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Mrs T 123

Yeah I bet - I thought it must be something obvious with it being in almost every packet but it does put me off eating it ...

5. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I have the cauliflower leaves braised in butter often. They are tasty and nutritious. Until relatively recently they were prepared for eating by people as a matter of course, as are broccoli stalks and carrot tops.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Broccoli stalks are lovely, I always use them. Agree that cauliflower leaves are tasty too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Off topic, (so other mods can delete :)) we had cauliflower (bought) and broccoli (green and purple, both home grown) yesterday and it was yummy, even though the broccoli had yellow bits because it was starting to flower.

Back on topic, did the packet have a picture of the rice and was there green in that?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. BoringBrian

BoringBrian Type 2 · Member

I used to buy that from Tesco, with the green bits. Didn’t really like it that much, but it was okay.
    Had a go at making my own due to shortages, what an improvement, and so easy to do (if you have a food processor).
    Chopped shallots fried in butter with garlic, ginger and sliced peppers. Add the cauliflower and mix into the butter, cover for 5 minutes on low heat and it’s done.
    I decant into take away containers and freeze. Give it a go, cheaper and better than fried rice from the Chinese

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mrs T 123

There are no green bits in the picture on the front of the bag - that is why I am wondering if it is ok or not

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe you should take a picture of the bags and email the manufacturer (nicely). My guess is it's OK and you may score some freebies....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure it is just bits of leaf. When we grind our own Cauli rice, we leave the very small inside leaves on (mostly they are white, but some are green.
    Alternatively it may be that they made some 'green' rice just before i.e. same but from grinding broccoli and traces 'contaminated ' the production line.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

could you have picked up the version with herbs in by mistake?

13. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Didn’t know there were two types - may look out for it as I’ve only seen the non herby one!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook