Dexcom or libre

Bw2534

So I’m waiting on the free libre trial but wondering if it’s worth paying £160 for the dexcom trial for a month?

I will probably have to self fund so I’m aware financially the libre is better but I’m interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have only used the Libre, my daughter (7 months old) is using the dexcom. I would say it is not worth the extra money. Might be tempted to say the libre is better. Neither are without flaws.

Reactions: Bw2534 and EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using Libre with xDrip for a few years.
With xDrip, I get readings automatically on my phone (no need to scan) and calibrated which gives me confidence.

This year, I trialed Dexcom. Many people find it more accurate. I was disappointed to find this was not the case for me. The Dexcom app is very basic and only supported on a small number of phones. And the applicator is bigger than the Libre one so Dexcom has a lot more plastic waste. So, I stuck with Libre.

I am only a sample of one and, as I say, most people prefer Dexcom.

Reactions: Bw2534

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I prefer Decom as I find it much more accurate. And I use xDrip. I recommend the trial.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'll give you my experience using Libre 2 with the Diabox app. (Making sure it's calibrated within 0.6mmol of my meter.) It pretty good at predicting any lows around 10/5 minutes before I feel them. With alarms. Thus taking the sting out of the low by pre-empting with a nominal amount of carbs?
There can be a delayed register of recovery from the low with the sensor. I normally feel normal first before my meter suggests I am. The sensor can reflect the recovery after another 20mins or so?
I'd used the Libre 1 with a Bluetooth bridge & xDrip, but never had this predictive forewarning of impending lows.
Ignore the "soothsayer's" electronic whisle. & sure as eggs... (For me.)

With the aformentioned app, I also got a "widget" on the home & lockscreen on my phone. For an at a glance BG update? But then I had similar with Xdrip too. Diabox is just more stable & less faff to set up on my device.

Best of both worlds; I also get a BG reading from a Bluetooth bridge reading the sensor to my stand alone watch too which can also vibrate alarms of potential lows.

The Dexcom? Now you mention it. I never got round to trying after they sent me one for trial.

Reactions: Bw2534

Bw2534

Hi,

I'll give you my experience using Libre 2 with the Diabox app. (Making sure it's calibrated within 0.6mmol of my meter.) It pretty good at predicting any lows around 10/5 minutes before I feel them. With alarms. Thus taking the sting out of the low by pre-empting with a nominal amount of carbs?
There can be a delayed register of recovery from the low with the sensor. I normally feel normal first before my meter suggests I am. The sensor can reflect the recovery after another 20mins or so?
I'd used the Libre 1 with a Bluetooth bridge & xDrip, but never had this predictive forewarning of impending lows.
Ignore the "soothsayer's" electronic whisle. & sure as eggs... (For me.)

With the aformentioned app, I also got a "widget" on the home & lockscreen on my phone. For an at a glance BG update? But then I had similar with Xdrip too. Diabox is just more stable & less faff to set up on my device.

Best of both worlds; I also get a BG reading from a Bluetooth bridge reading the sensor to my stand alone watch too which can also vibrate alarms of potential lows.

The Dexcom? Now you mention it. I never got round to trying after they sent me one for trial.

It’s a hard choice but I have set up nightscout and a few apps so I can turn it into a CGM like dexcom similar to what you’re describing and view it on my Apple Watch.
I like your review thanks.
Another issue is cost dex is so expensive if you’re self funding- me

I just hope the libre works out like it has for most people, if it doesn’t then I’ll consider the dex but considering I can make it a CGM it’s not worth trying the dex first.

I’m just really impatient and the libre hasn’t shipped yet

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just hope the libre works out like it has for most people, if it doesn’t then I’ll consider the dex but considering I can make it a CGM it’s not worth trying the dex first.

I have the dexcom sending alarms to my watch, but that relies on the watch getting info from te dexcom cloud via my phone, so it stops working whenever my mobile phone loses its internet connection. So if I were driving to sometimes remote places I'd have to keep checking my phone to get a result. and sometimes it just stops working anyway, so I have to consult my phone. (Supposedly the sensor may have better connectivity in the next version?)

Personally, in your position I'd see if the libre has the functionality (accuracy and connectivity) you need before spending on the dexcom.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s a hard choice but I have set up nightscout and a few apps so I can turn it into a CGM like dexcom similar to what you’re describing and view it on my Apple Watch.
I like your review thanks.
Another issue is cost dex is so expensive if you’re self funding- me

I’m just really impatient and the libre hasn’t shipped yet

Hi,

I was self funding the L1 for a couple of years. Then got NHS funding early this year with the L2.
I tried one sensor at the beginning to see what all the fuss was about. It was only when I found work arounds for CGM set ups, these white disks came into thier own for me..

I've always been hypo awair with my T1. Even waking me at night. The beuty is, now it's easier to catch errant BGs & potentially limit the amount of time my cognitive may jump track with a low?
With what I do for a "day job" & with the band too. I can Ill aford to mess stuff up.

With my Android set up I can monitor my BG on 2 independent devices. The 2nd being the watch, is just a basic timepiece with a stripped down version of Xdrip being constantly scanned by a Bluetooth bridge & updating the watch about a minute after the phone?

I'm pretty sure your Apple Watch may need to be set up tethered to your phone as a "wearable?"

Buy the way. If you can't wait? (& in the UK?) Try your local Asda pharmacy? Most chemists stock & sell them over the counter. But ASDA's tends to be a fairer price..

Bw2534

Hi,

I was self funding the L1 for a couple of years. Then got NHS funding early this year with the L2.
I tried one sensor at the beginning to see what all the fuss was about. It was only when I found work arounds for CGM set ups, these white disks came into thier own for me..

I've always been hypo awair with my T1. Even waking me at night. The beuty is, now it's easier to catch errant BGs & potentially limit the amount of time my cognitive may jump track with a low?
With what I do for a "day job" & with the band too. I can Ill aford to mess stuff up.

With my Android set up I can monitor my BG on 2 independent devices. The 2nd being the watch, is just a basic timepiece with a stripped down version of Xdrip being constantly scanned by a Bluetooth bridge & updating the watch about a minute after the phone?

I'm pretty sure your Apple Watch may need to be set up tethered to your phone as a "wearable?"

Buy the way. If you can't wait? (& in the UK?) Try your local Asda pharmacy? Most chemists stock & sell them over the counter. But ASDA's tends to be a fairer price..

Thankyou for this I really appreciate it and yeah I think the phone will be the thing that collects the data and sends it to my watch.

I’m really hoping it comes soon, can’t believe I’m so excited about a medical device

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the dexcom sending alarms to my watch, but that relies on the watch getting info from te dexcom cloud via my phone, so it stops working whenever my mobile phone loses its internet connection. So if I were driving to sometimes remote places I'd have to keep checking my phone to get a result. and sometimes it just stops working anyway, so I have to consult my phone. (Supposedly the sensor may have better connectivity in the next version?)

Personally, in your position I'd see if the libre has the functionality (accuracy and connectivity) you need before spending on the dexcom.

From technical view point the Apple watch connects to the iPhone for Dexcom using blue tooth (not GSM or cloud), when using Dexcom apps on phone and watch. If using third party apps via Dexcom share on phone then these are via cloud and require signal.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m really hoping it comes soon, can’t believe I’m so excited about a medical device

I know what you mean. :) I came from the days of peeing in a testube. My first meter was so much civilised.
Now these sensors..? Basically the only reason I use a mobile device.
Though, I still also carry my meter..

Reactions: EllieM and Bw2534

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If using third party apps via Dexcom share on phone then these are via cloud and require signal.
Yes, I'm using a samsung phone and a fitbit watch. Maybe I'll be an apple phone next time I upgrade....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I'm using a samsung phone and a fitbit watch. Maybe I'll be an apple phone next time I upgrade....

Not 100% but a samsung phone and samsung watch should work same as Apple if the Dexcom apps are compatible.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean. :) I came from the days of peeing in a testube. My first meter was so much civilised.
Now these sensors..? Basically the only reason I use a mobile device.
Though, I still also carry my meter..
I come from the same era. Although I am eternally grateful for Libre2 I also keep a meter around me especially when I am away from home.

Reactions: EllieM and Jaylee

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My opinion is that the dexcom is far better for me it's generally more accurate than the libre

Libre is meant to be worn on the arm... and 50 percent of the time I had such major pain with the libre... probable as I have little fat but quite a bit of muscle on the arm... I don't feel the dexcom

Support for issues I found dexcom slightly better

Now having said all that... the libre is not too far out that its useless.. and it's good for trends.... and if you get used to roughly how far out it is for you then it's perfectly useful... and especially if you can get it on prescription then you have to weigh up the benefits for yourself

Event hough I had libre on prescription I self funded dexcom

I would say do s trial on both and see which suits you best

But I love my dexcom

Reactions: EllieM

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I agree mostly with the last post from searley. I self fund the dexcom g6, but was delighted when I was given the chance to try the nhs funded libre 2.

However I found for me that the libre 2 was noticeably less accurate such that I didn't trust the results. I ran with both together for about 28 days and kept the stats along with blood test strip readings and the libre was much more innacurate and often read too high to be trusted by me.

Also I had the libre 2 on my arm as recommended and it has been sore at the contact point. Locating the g6 on the abdomen works much better for me. The g6 is not perfect but I trust it most of the time and it has been a game changer in my control.

I think an important take away from the discussion is that everyone is different and it's worth comparing the sensors yourself if possible!
All the best
Brian

CliveType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My experience is a little different from most on here!

I was on Libre 1 since April ‘19 before moving on to 2 earlier this year. I had a few problems with both but easily sorted by Abbott who I found unfailingly helpful. In October I started a strict clinical trial for an insulin called Icodec, run by Novo Nordisk at my local hospital. Part of the trial meant using Dexcom which, don’t forget, is a continuous glucose monitor rather than frequent glucose monitor. In real terms this means that with Dexcom you get a reading just by looking at your reader without having to scan the sensor.

The problem I had was that I was used to using my iPhone as the reader, I didn’t really want to carry around an extra device but had no option for two reasons. One was that part of the trial regulations was that the Dexcom reader was used, also I learnt that the Dexcom didn’t run with iOS 15 or newer. I tried but couldn’t get it to work reliably on my phone. As has been mentioned the phone has far more data support & shows trends in more detail.

I believe that the Dexcom is more accurate than Libre but their back-up is nowhere near so helpful or accessible. Also the LibreLink is a superb facility which in my situation isn’t replicated by Dexcom. The latter has to be changed every ten days while in the UK the Libre needs to be changed every fortnight. The Dexcom sensor is more difficult to attach although it is placed on the stomach rather than the outer arm for Libre.

If I was in the original poster’s position I would probably go for Libre. There seem to be more developments under way with Libre 3 making it share, dare I say, the best Dexcom features. No doubt more information can be found online.

Apologies for the length of this, my first posting here. I hope it is of some help.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My experience is a little different from most on here!

I was on Libre 1 since April ‘19 before moving on to 2 earlier this year. I had a few problems with both but easily sorted by Abbott who I found unfailingly helpful. In October I started a strict clinical trial for an insulin called Icodec, run by Novo Nordisk at my local hospital. Part of the trial meant using Dexcom which, don’t forget, is a continuous glucose monitor rather than frequent glucose monitor. In real terms this means that with Dexcom you get a reading just by looking at your reader without having to scan the sensor.

The problem I had was that I was used to using my iPhone as the reader, I didn’t really want to carry around an extra device but had no option for two reasons. One was that part of the trial regulations was that the Dexcom reader was used, also I learnt that the Dexcom didn’t run with iOS 15 or newer. I tried but couldn’t get it to work reliably on my phone. As has been mentioned the phone has far more data support & shows trends in more detail.

I believe that the Dexcom is more accurate than Libre but their back-up is nowhere near so helpful or accessible. Also the LibreLink is a superb facility which in my situation isn’t replicated by Dexcom. The latter has to be changed every ten days while in the UK the Libre needs to be changed every fortnight. The Dexcom sensor is more difficult to attach although it is placed on the stomach rather than the outer arm for Libre.

If I was in the original poster’s position I would probably go for Libre. There seem to be more developments under way with Libre 3 making it share, dare I say, the best Dexcom features. No doubt more information can be found online.

Apologies for the length of this, my first posting here. I hope it is of some help.
Development wise don't forget the G7 is only round the corner an all in one like libre and supposedly cheaper to take on the libre... I think the next year could be interesting tech wise

Reactions: Glucobabu

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tries both and won't use either. Not accurate enough and too **** expensive!!
Well, they have their ups and downs but it’s a most welcome technology for those on insulin. I do agree that they are **** expensive for self funders.