I'm determined to get my diabetes back on track

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely not put it as harsh as @zand did, I don't do well on scare tactics. If any doctor tried them on me they would be fired right away, as it would only serve to make me angry and stubborn.

I did wonder why you chose a meal with both bread and spaghetti though.
If I find I hadn't made enough sauce, in this case bolognese, this is easily solved by adding onions, carrots, cabbage (all very cheap options if this plays a role) or more meat or extra cheese (or both) without adding more carbs by way of bread.

Would it help for you to think on how to adjust your meals in a way to not go hungry, but also eat a bit less carbs? It's not all that difficult to cook sensible meals, but it does take some practice, and we're happy to share our tips.

Would your parents be willing to be a bit more supportive if you asked them?
It's fine if they want to eat, but making pancakes makes the whole house smell of them, making it very hard to not eat them. Why would you make pancakes if you know someone in the house is trying to diet? Do they know they make it very difficult for you to take care of your health if they do things like this?
Not saying they should join you in your food plan, but they could have opened a bag of crisps in the other room if they wanted a carby and fatty food.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definitely not put it as harsh as @zand did, I don't do well on scare tactics. If any doctor tried them on me they would be fired right away, as it would only serve to make me angry and stubborn.

If I find I hadn't made enough sauce, in this case bolognese, this is easily solved by adding onions, carrots, cabbage (all very cheap options if this plays a role) or more meat or extra cheese (or both) without adding more carbs by way of bread.

Would it help for you to think on how to adjust your meals in a way to not go hungry, but also eat a bit less carbs? It's not all that difficult to cook sensible meals, but it does take some practice, and we're happy to share our tips.

It's fine if they want to eat, but making pancakes makes the whole house smell of them, making it very hard to not eat them. Why would you make pancakes if you know someone in the house is trying to diet? Do they know they make it very difficult for you to take care of your health if they do things like this?
Not saying they should join you in your food plan, but they could have opened a bag of crisps in the other room if they wanted a carby and fatty food.
I'm not a doctor, but I care. I seem to remember akindrat18 s mum posted on here for a while. I don't think she was in favour of reducing carbs. I could say more about that but I will leave it there.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

The thing that my mum said to me was I know its a bit too much carbs than normal, but you should be okay. She only did me one scoop full of spaghetti and more meat.

Plus my mum is more concerned about my weight more than my blood sugar. They only get concerned about them when I'm drinking, any other time they are like, you're on your own. They made it quite clear that they will still continue to eat like they have done.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing that my mum said to me was I know its a bit too much carbs than normal, but you should be okay. She only did me one scoop full of spaghetti and more meat.

Plus my mum is more concerned about my weight more than my blood sugar. They only get concerned about them when I'm drinking, any other time they are like, you're on your own. They made it quite clear that they will still continue to eat like they have done.
It's a shame you can't afford a place of your own. I seem to remember you did fairly well with diet whilst you were at uni, yes you had a few lapses, but mostly your mates were supportive. I do feel for you, you have to be so very strong to fight these negative influences, that's why I was harsh with you before.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my blood sugars have come down a lot now. Just tested them now with a reading of 10.3. I'm happy with that.
Now you need to be careful not to reduce carbs too radically so you don't hypo. It's a hard balancing act. So test, test, test.

Don't panic if your FBG is higher than you would like. It could be that your liver is taking the opportunity to chuck out some of its stored glucose, and that's OK for a while.

I have spent some time this evening remembering what it was like living with my parents and coming home from work, tired after a hard day. This was 40 years ago, most people didn't know what carbs were back then and I didn't have a weight problem or T2. I ate what my Mum cooked for me. It would have been very difficult not to do so. I am so sorry I didn't understand your position earlier. It's tough, but somehow you have to find strategies to get round the obstacles in your way.

Keep posting.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I , like @zand, have seen this pattern so many times over the years with you @akindrat18 . We have been members a long time. At first, I thought as a young person, confused and desperate for advice, @akindrat18 did not have the knowledge and understanding to take control of his health. Advised accordingly, just as zand and several others did. Have lost count of the times akindrat18 has declared he is going to do better, and control his T2.
@akindrat18 , I fear you are going to destroy yourself with your lack of taking responsibility. As a youth, it was understandable, but you are now approaching your 30s, have a degree, and now have a better job. You are the only one that can break this cycle of self destructive, learned helplessness, almost victim mentality. It is a different health problem that does need support to enable you to change. To have partially solved the eating by reducing sweet stuff, is not going to be enough. You have to value yourself, and care about yourself enough to continue with the counselling, and follow up with the strategies to improve your wellbeing.
Please don’t disappear from forum again. If people here care enough to engage with you, they want to see you succeed.
I don’t even know if you are reading my posts, and wonder if you only read those that are saying things you like to hear, but I really hope you can succeed this time.

Reactions: ziggy_w and EllieM

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that I am in a rut. I've had to keep my counselling sessions private from my family. The only person in my family that seems to support me is my nan. She's even got a glucose monitor as she is pre diabetic and worries about me more than my own parents.

I know it seems I am hitting the self destruct button everyday and yes I am, but I cannot completely cut out carbs. It just won't happen. If I had to ring 111 for every time my blood sugar is not in the normal range then it would be everyday.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that I am in a rut. I've had to keep my counselling sessions private from my family. The only person in my family that seems to support me is my nan. She's even got a glucose monitor as she is pre diabetic and worries about me more than my own parents.

I know it seems I am hitting the self destruct button everyday and yes I am, but I cannot completely cut out carbs. It just won't happen. If I had to ring 111 for every time my blood sugar is not in the normal range then it would be everyday.
I woke up in the night thinking of you, trying to think of ways to help you through this. I do my best thinking at times like that lol

Two things came to mind.

Firstly, when you speak to your DN today ask her if she can refer you for an online DAFNE course. It's usually for T1s but you are on insulin and need to be taught how to vary your Novorapid doses to match the carbs you have in your meals. Being online nowadays it's alot easier to fit in with your life.

When I said previously ' if you always do what you've always done etc....' Well you usually wait till you are told to do something by your diabetes team. This time be proactive. YOU ask for the course. This will put you in control and show the DN that you are determined to do this and that you care enough about your own health to learn how to help yourself. Don't be fobbed off if she says it's for T1s. Ask if there is a dose adjusting course for T2s. If not, stand your ground and say you think it would be alot easier for everyone if you could have the tools to help you look after yourself.

You know your weight is an issue and to have to have carbs to match your fixed insulin dose is madness. If you can learn to adjust your dose you can have a low carb meal when you want to without fear of hypoing. You can also have a slightly higher carb meal when you want to do so too, without your BGs sky rocketing. Just bear in mind that for weightloss low carb is better. As far as BGs are concerned though, it's adjusting the Novorapid to fit in with you that's important. That way you can choose when you want carbs and when you don't.

What was your FBG this morning?

Secondly, yesterday your first 2 meals were very good. It's only when the cooked evening meal comes into the mix that carbs were an issue. If you don't eat all of the meal you become hungry. Low carb snacks and fillers tend to be perishable. Can you buy one of those mini table top fridges for your room? You could have a small stash of cheese, cold meats, full fat Greek yoghurt etc in there to help stop the hunger pangs. I love grating not just parmesan, but also extra cheddar cheese over bolognese.

Last edited:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I woke up at 2am dripping in sweat. Turned out that my BG was down to 4.5, so I got up and had a can of coke to bring them up. Went back bed at 3am when my BG was at 6.4. When I got to the gym at 7am my BG was at 25.3. I haven't tested since as I'm down to 4 testing strips.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I woke up at 2am dripping in sweat. Turned out that my BG was down to 4.5, so I got up and had a can of coke to bring them up. Went back bed at 3am when my BG was at 6.4. When I got to the gym at 7am my BG was at 25.3. I haven't tested since as I'm down to 4 testing strips.
Have you done a lateral flow test? Sweating at night can be a sign of the Omnicron virus.

It might be useful to use a libre for a trial period to see what happens at night. It could well be that 4.5 was going to be the lowest it was going to go.
My own BGs often dip down to 3 at night time but as I am not on insulin it's not dangerous for me. As you are on insulin though you are right to be vigilant. I am not sure if the Freestyle libre 2 monitor is still free for a 2 week trial period. Libre is too expensive for me to use all the time but it is useful to use from time to time to see what's going on 24/7.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I can add to the good advice from zand, at the moment, is that nobody is asking you to give up carbs completely, @akindrat18. Just to make sure you understand how to adjust your insulin accordingly.
Also, you do need to work on the family relationships. I think your nan could be a good support for you.

P.s. Glad to see you are still posting. You can sort this akindrat. Don’t give up.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a lovely Nan you have! Buy her a bunch of flowers (unless she has hay fever of course). Seriously - show your appreciation that she is so solidly on-side.

Think about what you would say to somebody who is in the same situation as you are and who asked you for advice.

Reactions: EllieM and zand

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you done a lateral flow test? Sweating at night can be a sign of the Omnicron virus.

It might be useful to use a libre for a trial period to see what happens at night. It could well be that 4.5 was going to be the lowest it was going to go.
My own BGs often dip down to 3 at night time but as I am not on insulin it's not dangerous for me. As you are on insulin though you are right to be vigilant. I am not sure if the Freestyle libre 2 monitor is still free for a 2 week trial period. Libre is too expensive for me to use all the time but it is useful to use from time to time to see what's going on 24/7.

I didn't do a lateral flow test at that time, but I did do one before I went work as they always ask for a lateral flow test to be done everytime anyone comes in the office.

Reactions: zand

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you feeling now @akindrat?
Must be good to work in an office rather than your previous jobs.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I woke up at 2am dripping in sweat. Turned out that my BG was down to 4.5,
I'd expect a 4.5 to feel like a full blown hypo for you, used as you are to higher numbers, so I'm not surprised by the sweating!
Can you get more teststrips shortly?

Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are on insulin, your surgery should be prescribing your strips and meter. Are they doing that? You can insist on enough test strips. You need the strips and meter to be safe.