What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely I can't get covid again? Well I know I could but I'm hoping triple vax and covid Christmas has used up my turns. Interestingly, eldest grandson is less anxious now having had covid at Christmas. I know I'll have one swap out on Sunday next week for GF haggis (from the butcher and it doesn't affect me), neeps, cauliflower mash. If I can be bothered making sugar free meringues I'll make cranachan.

Fingers crossed for you, and I’m so glad your grandson is less anxious now, having had it. My youngest granddaughter ( 9yo I think same sort of age) is also very anxious about it. She’s not eating, and she used to have a very hearty appetite. Her teacher phoned her mum before Christmas to say they’d asked what was troubling her and she’d said she was worried about covid. Poor kids I feel so sorry for them.

Ooh Burns night supper! Wonderful, it’ll have to be a M&S haggis for Paul, I’ll join in with the bashed neeps and mash.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a jar of almond butter to see how I might react to it after years of not eating almonds. No actual intolerance reaction other than distaste. Really don't like it. Might find a recipe to use it up and will never buy it again. But, on a hopeful note, it didn't make me ill, so I should be able to use almonds in recipes - but will have to go easy on them just in case the intolerance builds up again.

Good news about no intolerance reaction. I really wish I didn’t like it!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B Fried eggs, Gouda and spinach.

Was hoping to try @Goonergal ‘s pork recipe for dinner but I had a shoulder joint not belly pork so I wrapped it in foil, bunged it in a low oven and went to the beach instead.
Very cold swim followed by a couple of hours in woolly hat and dry robe drinking coffee from my flask and eating a DGF raspberry bakewell. ( which took 2 mins, not 2 hrs)
Dinner- the pork, which was meltingly tender, no crackling as it had been wrapped up, but that’s just as well as I’m currently sporting 2 temporary crowns.
Cauli cheese and broccoli with it. SF jelly and a spoon of mascarpone cheese afterwards.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Planned to fast until dinner, but kept nibbling at the biscotti I made yesterday...until they were all gone :facepalm:. Too moreish. That was 200g of nuts eaten in 24 hours!

90 minute walk
More baking, but this time of things to go straight into the freezer, not my mouth. Soda bread and Berry cake.

D: roast pork, carrots and cabbage. Half a scoop coffee ice-cream. One small sloe gin with soda water

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Sundays.
Cooked brunch of egg, bacon, pork sausage, mushrooms, white pudding, black coffee
2 more cups of black coffee
Family dinner: lamb shank braised in red wine, caulflower mash, broccoli, 2 baby carrots, glass of Malbec.
Finishing dining late with a glass of rum, mixed with, err, more rum of course. :hilarious:;)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb & @Antje77 - the Aubergine dish is easy to make. Heat oven to 220C. Half the Aubergine lengthwise then cut the flesh out leaving a border of about 1cm inside. The flesh can be scooped out with a spoon once you've cut a border at the edges. Pop the shells in a baking dish and drizzle the shells with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and pop them in the oven for about 20 to 25 mins.
Meantime, soften a finely chopped small onion in a little olive oil in a pan. Add some chopped garlic (I used 4 cloves) , chopped Aubergine flesh and about 12 small tomatoes (cherry/ santini?). Mix and cook gently for another 4 or 5 mins. Now it gets a bit variable. I added chopped green olives and chopped basil but it is up to you. Oregano? Italian mixed herbs? Sun dried tomatoes? Just not too much. Last thing in is about 100g of mozzarella ripped into bits (I just use the mini mozzarella balls).

Check on the Aubergine shells. If tender, remove from the oven and fill with the stuffing. If you are saving for the next day, let them cool, cover and refrigerate.

To finish, drizzle with a little more olive oil, top with a mix of grated parmesan & parsley then some shaved parmesan. Back in the oven at 200C for about 20 mins until the cheese is melted and bubbling! Serve immediately.

The Italians would top it with crumbs from their excellent bread but that adds too many carbs for us. Parmesan works well instead.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb & @Antje77 - the Aubergine dish is easy to make. Heat oven to 220C. Half the Aubergine lengthwise then cut the flesh out leaving a border of about 1cm inside. The flesh can be scooped out with a spoon once you've cut a border at the edges. Pop the shells in a baking dish and drizzle the shells with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and pop them in the oven for about 20 to 25 mins.
Meantime, soften a finely chopped small onion in a little olive oil in a pan. Add some chopped garlic (I used 4 cloves) , chopped Aubergine flesh and about 12 small tomatoes (cherry/ santini?). Mix and cook gently for another 4 or 5 mins. Now it gets a bit variable. I added chopped green olives and chopped basil but it is up to you. Oregano? Italian mixed herbs? Sun dried tomatoes? Just not too much. Last thing in is about 100g of mozzarella ripped into bits (I just use the mini mozzarella balls).

Check on the Aubergine shells. If tender, remove from the oven and fill with the stuffing. If you are saving for the next day, let them cool, cover and refrigerate.

To finish, drizzle with a little more olive oil, top with a mix of grated parmesan & parsley then some shaved parmesan. Back in the oven at 200C for about 20 mins until the cheese is melted and bubbling! Serve immediately.

The Italians would top it with crumbs from their excellent bread but that adds too many carbs for us. Parmesan works well instead.

Thanks for that @maglil55, I have an aubergine in the fridge so will make this tomorrow.

The spicy beef and orange stew worked pretty well. I could have added a second square of the chocolate because, although the spice could be tasted, it wasn't at all overpowering. I have 2 large servings of it left, boxed up ready for the freezer so when it comes to reheating them I will add a bit more chocolate. Beef and orange work very well though - at least for me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fingers crossed for you, and I’m so glad your grandson is less anxious now, having had it. My youngest granddaughter ( 9yo I think same sort of age) is also very anxious about it. She’s not eating, and she used to have a very hearty appetite. Her teacher phoned her mum before Christmas to say they’d asked what was troubling her and she’d said she was worried about covid. Poor kids I feel so sorry for them.

Ooh Burns night supper! Wonderful, it’ll have to be a M&S haggis for Paul, I’ll join in with the bashed neeps and mash.
The youngest one will be 9 in May. Nothing bothers him except when he doesn't get his own way! The eldest is 11 and he was the one with the extreme anxiety. He wasn't happy when we were pretty much locked down again on Boxing Day (that was his one "not well" day. After that it was pretty much "why is this happening? It's a cold!" He's been quite calm since then. You're correct about the youngsters though, lots of them are terrified and it's not helped by pronouncements of "tsunamis of cases", "thousands of deaths" and the latest "the next varient could be a lot worse". Sorry, unless you are an expert - don't go and spread your ideas to the masses. Having said that even the experts have been spectacularly wrong!
I'm lucky that I found my butcher's GF haggis doesn't spike me. It's the only one that has no effect. Hubby will get the "normal" haggis as he doesn't like the texture of the GF one. After having it twice I got used to the texture but he prefers "normal" haggis.

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
15 January bed & FBG 6.8. By lunchtime, though, it was going up and down again in the 8's and low 9's. The only thing I did yesterday was drive the boys and their Dad to jujitsu and back. Legs were worst ever! I could barely walk with the pins & needles. Sitting in the car was fine, just trying to stand/walk was unbearable. Hubby had to help me the short distance to the car. I really worked on my legs with the Revitive & the massage gun and today I can walk again.

B. Hubby had to do everything! TAG
L. Bacon and 2 fried eggs with 3 santini tomatoes.
D. Cold cuts - ham, wafer thin roast beef, ox tongue, wafer thin chicken, coronation chicken, coronation coleslaw, boiled egg & santini tomatoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small steak and well done eggs, two slices of low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
No smoko, just lemon cordial / osmolax mix.
Pickled pork and veggies, small portion of mango sorbet for lunch.
Boiled egg and salad in low carb wraps for supper at six.

Tsunami was not forth coming here in Bundaberg luckily.

Good to see a so called superstar get deported Sunday afternoon for not obeying Australia's laws, laws are for all people to obey here.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
16 January - bed 9.1 (What!!) FBG 7.9. @Riva_Roxaban - I'm in total agreement with you over that so-called superstar. As you know I have a lot of family in Australia that we haven't seen for almost 3 years so I'm delighted he wasn't treated differently to everyone else. Next question though will he be banned from applying for a visa for 3 years thanks to being deported?

B. TAG and bacon, 2 eggs and 3 santini tomatoes.
L. After swimming lessons which have started again. 3 M&S crackers with Wensleydale and whipped cheese plus coconut milk.
D. DD recipe - lamb chops coated with Thai red curry paste, cauliflower mash and green beans. Usual campari and soda.

Glad to say I can walk again. All my work on my legs yesterday paid off. That was the first time in years I've had to use crutches indoors.
Screenshot_20220116-202250_DietDoctor%20eat.jpg

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
16 January - bed 9.1 (What!!) FBG 7.9. @Riva_Roxaban - I'm in total agreement with you over that so-called superstar. As you know I have a lot of family in Australia that we haven't seen for almost 3 years so I'm delighted he wasn't treated differently to everyone else. Next question though will he be banned from applying for a visa for 3 years thanks to being deported?

B. TAG and bacon, 2 eggs and 3 santini tomatoes.
L. After swimming lessons which have started again. 3 M&S crackers with Wensleydale and whipped cheese plus coconut milk.
D. DD recipe - lamb chops coated with Thai red curry paste, cauliflower mash and green beans. Usual campari and soda.

Glad to say I can walk again. All my work on my legs yesterday paid off. That was the first time in years I've had to use crutches indoors. View attachment 52920

So glad to hear that your legs are better @maglil55, your treatment obviously worked well.

DIL's PCR test proved negative, so all's well. These lateral flow tests really seem to be unreliable.

Breakfast: just some toast and butter.

2nd meal will be the aubergine dish you posted yesterday.

I had to have a little reminder chat with Em about not eating too much sweet stuff. She has a habit these days of disappearing into the larder and inventing dishes - pretty well always sweet dishes - with whatever she can find but in the process she has been sampling bits and pieces. That's on top of the expensive ice cream I've been getting for her (small tubs to reduce the volume or good quality ice cream sticks). So - it was getting to be too much. I don't want to ration her though, so she has agreed to ration herself and, if she is hungry coming in from school, she will have some cold meat, or fruit, first to satisfy her hunger. Her favourite snack is a red bell pepper which she eats like an apple. So as long as I can keep up the supply of peppers, we should be fine. At least, she is developing a taste for better quality ice cream and accepting that it will be a smaller quantity.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi all
I don't often post on this line as I somehow feel that I'm interrupting chats!
I'm a little reserved so maybe it's just me.
Anyway what I wanted to say was that for the past week I've skipped breakfasts in favour of hot water, one cup of tea without milk and then a coffee with cream and a knob of butter at around 11ish. Never felt hungry, and I have Greek yogurt with pumpkin and chia seeds added plus a few raspberries and even a drizzle of cream for my first meal at 12 c'clock.
I follow with brazil and pecan nuts.
Then I'm having a huge dinner at between 4.30 to 5.45 depending on what I'm doing, and have either a couple of beefburgers, Chicken slices, sausages. or a salmon piece, a huge portion of cauliflower mash (my new favourite food) steamed broccoli and some mixed frozen veg. I follow up with choc mug cake but make in small ramekin dishes and so have less, but add extra thick cream and sometimes top with raspberries! Then I sit down with my square (or two) of 85% Lindt and don't eat again til midday next day. I have lost 5lbs this week which surprised me with all that food!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I don't often post on this line as I somehow feel that I'm interrupting chats!
I'm a little reserved so maybe it's just me.
Anyway what I wanted to say was that for the past week I've skipped breakfasts in favour of hot water, one cup of tea without milk and then a coffee with cream and a knob of butter at around 11ish. Never felt hungry, and I have Greek yogurt with pumpkin and chia seeds added plus a few raspberries and even a drizzle of cream for my first meal at 12 c'clock.
I follow with brazil and pecan nuts.
Then I'm having a huge dinner at between 4.30 to 5.45 depending on what I'm doing, and have either a couple of beefburgers, Chicken slices, sausages. or a salmon piece, a huge portion of cauliflower mash (my new favourite food) steamed broccoli and some mixed frozen veg. I follow up with choc mug cake but make in small ramekin dishes and so have less, but add extra thick cream and sometimes top with raspberries! Then I sit down with my square (or two) of 85% Lindt and don't eat again til midday next day. I have lost 5lbs this week which surprised me with all that food!

The chats are not private and everyone is very friendly, so don't feel shy about joining in. It's a very helpful forum offering lots of support. I post quite often, so there's maybe too much of me, but I'm one of those sad souls who have very little else to do - others have lives to live!

Well done for losing 5 lbs. That's brilliant.

Reactions: Antje77

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The chats are not private and everyone is very friendly, so don't feel shy about joining in. It's a very helpful forum offering lots of support. I post quite often, so there's maybe too much of me, but I'm one of those sad souls who have very little else to do - others have lives to live!

Well done for losing 5 lbs. That's brilliant.
I get confused, too, @coby , though there is an additional chat thread running parallel to this. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/unread
I don’t think there is too much of anyone,@Annb , though I am not inclinded to do much chatting myself. I do like to get ideas of how others are managing to have a variety of low carb meals.:)

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread is my favourite thread, because of all the pictures. Now, the pictures make me very hungry, but then I remind myself that I am eating with my eyes and not with my mouth! And that is a good thing as Martha Steward would say!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; raw gorilla l/c granola, one slice carbzone rye bread with butter (surprisingly filling, better not go swimming I'll sink). Need to watch it like a hawk in the toaster tho:D
mocha
Lunch: half a SLC roll with tuna, peppers and mayo, protein bar
Dinner: roast chicken breast, peppercorn sauce, one tiny roast potato, roasted tomatoes, petit pois, raspberries and double cream. One square of 90% lindt.

Two mile walk today, it's been glorious in Yorkshire. Starting overnight fasting tonight after a shamefully long period of neglect! Reading The fast 800 keto by Michael Mosley for inspo....

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55