EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Trying it now (had to give my dad's postcode).

They seem very keen on complex carbs aka wholemeal bread etc. To be fair, I entered my details as a T1.

Would be interested to see the T2 diet advice....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I signed in as a type 2 on meds that don’t cause hypos. Went through the yes you can have 4 tbsps of rice or a computer mouse sized baked potato, then I got to the quiz! Here is one question and my answer:

A5D0F07F-0660-4B20-BE94-49F0D82B38A1.jpeg

E19B2381-51D5-42CD-BFCB-0F5F4B069915.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To give them some credit though, this part is pretty much true for most. It suggests the second answer meant cutting carbs completely, and thankfully it isn't necessary for most to go 100% carnivore.
upload_2022-1-19_23-47-28.png

Too bad they completely miss where you can eat substantially less carbs (as opposed to reducing portion size 'here and there') and still eat things with carbs in them, like salad and vegetables. And chocolate. :banghead:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I went on that when first diagnosed. I found the tone patronising and it generally unmotivating
Then I found here, thank heavens!

Reactions: Zilsniggy

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Given the context of the question, and the carbs option only being to cut out carbs, I agree that more veg and salad is the best individual answer.

It's badly worded as loaded in a skewed manner to get the answer they want while also trying to imply that carbs are binary: you either eat all if them or none. It's an example of unfair question and answer options.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To give them some credit though, this part is pretty much true for most. It suggests the second answer meant cutting carbs completely, and thankfully it isn't necessary for most to go 100% carnivore.
View attachment 52959
Too bad they completely miss where you can eat substantially less carbs (as opposed to reducing portion size 'here and there') and still eat things with carbs in them, like salad and vegetables. And chocolate. :banghead:
Given the context of the question, and the carbs option only being to cut out carbs, I agree that more veg and salad is the best individual answer.

It's badly worded as loaded in a skewed manner to get the answer they want while also trying to imply that carbs are binary: you either eat all if them or none. It's an example of unfair question and answer options.

Yes I agree it only gives cut out carbs as an option, but I was already annoyed as it had told me I could have only a dice sized portion of butter, a matchbox sized portion of cheese, I should have porridge in place of sweetened cereal and avocado and a poached egg in place of fried eggs and bacon!

Reactions: VashtiB

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had to work through several videos before getting to quiz. Found it rather patronising.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No wonder they kicked me off their Forum when I extolled the virtues of LCHF. Well they did sign an MOU to support vegan WOE for T2D a couple of years ago. Their comments on animal products in the reply says that is still in place.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a volunteer I got to hear a presentation on the latest research which informs DUK's position on different diets. This amounts to a corporate position of -
  • Low carb a bit risky and gimmicky but we have to mention it because its a hot topic
  • Only our RCT Direct trials provide true evidence of remission and that remission must occur via weight loss.
  • The other option is bariatric surgery.
  • Good carbs and bad carbs
  • Sat fat is risky unless it is packaged with omega 3
D:UK is very centralised and a very top down organisation. As a volunteer I give low carb advice because in all conscience I couldn't not do so though in groups we do mention the Newcastle diet and the many works of Michael Mosely!
RE type 1, I am frustrated to discover that they think carb counting is the ONLY way to get good blood sugars! I think it is better than eating lots of carbs and not counting them but most diabetics are doing a rough guestimate every time they bolus. Perhaps scanning the barcodes of processed food or weighting stuff helps some type 1s feel 'in control' but I've opted for eating a minimal amount so that a) i don't become insulin resistant and/or fat b) I don't expend too much head space on carb counting but can still get good blood sugars with the help of good tech.
I don't understand why this can't be talked about as a helpful way to minimise the inevitable dosing errors that occur with type 1. It eliminates just one of the variables that make dosing hard!

Reactions: Goonergal and zand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was more referring to the eating less meat is "better for the planet" nonsense.
Indeed. My kids keep coming home saying that we ought to eat less meat especially less Brazilian meat and a McDonalds Mc Plant Burger ad confronts me on the way to work every day.
Not sure which land they think is being cleared to grow the soy for the virtue signalling mc fried sawdust bun.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I agree it only gives cut out carbs as an option, but I was already annoyed as it had told me I could have only a dice sized portion of butter, a matchbox sized portion of cheese, I should have porridge in place of sweetened cereal and avocado and a poached egg in place of fried eggs and bacon!
Bear in mind that diabetes.org.uk is not this website but the spin-off from Diabetes UK Org (DUK). DUK have traditionally followed NHS dietary (rubbish) guidelines and in this case they appear to be favouring low-fat. The guidance has improved a bit in recent years but beware.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed. My kids keep coming home saying that we ought to eat less meat especially less Brazilian meat and a McDonalds Mc Plant Burger ad confronts me on the way to work every day.
Not sure which land they think is being cleared to grow the soy for the virtue signalling mc fried sawdust bun.
I just wish 'they' wpuld recognise that soy is poisonous for ruminants (red meat). Beef feed contains soy husks for fibre, and this is sourced from waste product from human food manufacturing. The EU mainly imports soy for human consumption.

In South America (and other places too) land clearance starts with deforestation. Then the land is grazed for a couple of years by cattle and goats etc to remove weeds and to fertilise the soil. then it can be used for food for humans. Soy growing performs nitrogen fixing in the same way that rape / mustard and clover does in the UK. These are all inherent techniques used by the indigenous peoples in the area for many moons. It is only the recent commercjial exploitation that makes it worse. Wood is a valuable asset. agricultural food producing land is at a premium as the population demands increase. So it is humans propogating and creating large families that is to blame. The world is being overrun by mankind. We are a virus.
End of Rant. My OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree absolutely. I'm in credit (smug) neither Mr. Outlier nor I have any children. A nicely grilled grass-fed free-range steak (and other cuts) is just the job.