Low carb potatoes

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can some of you e-mail Tesco and ask about them stocking these Carisma potatoes as the article I found from 2013 said Tesco was in talks with the producer in Australia. I have already e-mailed them and they said they will pass the e-mail on to their buying department, but I'm sure if enough people showed an interest they would be more inclined to do something about it.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can some of you e-mail Tesco and ask about them stocking these Carisma potatoes as the article I found from 2013 said Tesco was in talks with the producer in Australia. I have already e-mailed them and they said they will pass the e-mail on to their buying department, but I'm sure if enough people showed an interest they would be more inclined to do something about it.

@Administrator is it possible to get a number of people that have posted in or read the Low Carb forum? Maybe for the last 6 months or something? Just thinking it might be good to do a message to Tesco giving them an idea of the current/potential demand for LC foods.

Or a % of traffic that goes through that forum maybe - so we could tell them eg. "25% of diabetics on the site have shown interest in Low Carbing" and then apply that % to the total diabetic population? I'm guessing that would be a fair number of potential customers for them to consider! (note: I know that's quite a leap given we're a special kind of 'engaged' diabetics/pwd but it doesn't hurt to use the stats in our favour ;) )

D

Deleted member 308541

Can some of you e-mail Tesco and ask about them stocking these Carisma potatoes as the article I found from 2013 said Tesco was in talks with the producer in Australia.
Low carb spud lite's are in short supply here in Bundy they had no stock at the Woolies supermarket we use yesterday. Maybe Thursday or Friday. :meh:

So if the growers here cannot keep up low carb spuds for the local demand, it might be hard to supply the export market.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Administrator is it possible to get a number of people that have posted in or read the Low Carb forum? Maybe for the last 6 months or something? Just thinking it might be good to do a message to Tesco giving them an idea of the current/potential demand for LC foods.

Or a % of traffic that goes through that forum maybe - so we could tell them eg. "25% of diabetics on the site have shown interest in Low Carbing" and then apply that % to the total diabetic population? I'm guessing that would be a fair number of potential customers for them to consider! (note: I know that's quite a leap given we're a special kind of 'engaged' diabetics/pwd but it doesn't hurt to use the stats in our favour ;) )

Good idea! Will get on the case with @Giverny tomorrow!

Reactions: VashtiB and BeccyB

Solaire

Type of diabetes
Carer
How low carb are they? A while back @Sid Bonkers posted about a variety in UK called Vivaldi (available from Sainsbury's when I last looked) which were lower carb than some.
These Vivaldi potatoes are lovely .....and are lower in carbs ....very tasty , we always eat them ...

Reactions: zand

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi: I love potatoes, and really miss them. The above posts were written several years ago. Does anyone have any updated news of whether there are any lower carb potatoes for sale in the UK, and if so where they can be purchased? I have tried Vivaldi potatoes and they are vey nice, but as far as I can remember they are not much lower in carbs.

Many thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember reading about these, as they have not become available commercially it might be worth contacting the gardening suppliers, those with a high proportion of vege seeds and sets, to see if they might be able to help get things going - it might be impossible for large scale production but a greenhouse or raised bed, or even allotment might be small enough to provide anything special the plants require to flourish.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We get Spud Lite potatoes when they have them in stock, at present they have been scarce as hens teeth to get, usual story covid, covid border closure between states, transport problems, now flooding.

It says on the bags do not replant, I know someone that tried to get them to strike but they did not grow shoots at all.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had anyone actually... Tested their blood sugar after eating these?
Yes I have, and tested before and after the meal containing Spud Lite's and my bgl has been at a acceptable level. I normally eat two mall ones or one big one as, I use portion control as well as a moderate lchf menu.

IrishAyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I have, and tested before and after the meal containing Spud Lite's and my bgl has been at a acceptable level. I normally eat two mall ones or one big one as, I use portion control as well as a moderate lchf menu.
Yeah, IDK.... Define acceptable? I am off all meds now and control solely by diet. My goal is to never go over 120. Pretty sure these would Spike me into an unsafe range

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, IDK.... Define acceptable? I am off all meds now and control solely by diet. My goal is to never go over 120. Pretty sure these would Spike me into an unsafe range
Acceptable to me is between 100 and 150 grams carbs daily as it says in my sig.

With the Spud Lites I precook the small bag of 0.75 grams in the microwave for 15 minutes. I put them in the fridge,, and when needed I reheat them by putting the spuds I use for the meal back in the microwave for a couple of minutes. They are not bad browned up in a non stick fry pan either.

My weekly bgl is about 5.8 at the moment, which my GP is happy with.

45pZXWu.jpg

Reactions: EllieM

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As another Aussie- I know about these and have a small portion once a week with my roast dinner on Sundays- they are great. I actually didn't realise they were an Aussie only product. So often I see thinks advertised for overseas that we don't have. I really hope they get started elsewhere as I personally believe that lower carb is better for everyone not just our exclusive club :)

Reactions: EllieM

IrishAyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Acceptable to me is between 100 and 150 grams carbs daily as it says in my sig.

With the Spud Lites I precook the small bag of 0.75 grams in the microwave for 15 minutes. I put them in the fridge,, and when needed I reheat them by putting the spuds I use for the meal back in the microwave for a couple of minutes. They are not bad browned up in a non stick fry pan either.

My weekly bgl is about 5.8 at the moment, which my GP is happy with.

45pZXWu.jpg
Yeah, sorry. At 22 grams of carbs in one serving that would definitely spike me into a range I don't want to go. Thought it was too good to be true. I can have 5-6 grams off carbs per meal and not spike. Anything more than that and I'm spiking WAY above 120. I keep my A1C at 4.7-4.9.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep my A1C at 4.7-4.9.
I am happy with my hba1c the last one in February 2022 - 5.7% / 39 mmol / mol.

No medication either.

Think you could smuggle some seed potatoes through New Zealand customs??? (I suspect not, unfortunately).
We could not get Spudlites to strike.

If NZ customs / border patrol are like are like ours, I would steer clear of smuggling food / seeds / cuttings etc.

Higaomo

Wilko have Vivaldi seed potatoes, am wondering if it’s worth giving them a try, but according to Sainsbury’s website, Vivaldi and Jersey Royals both have the same carbs (13.6g per 100g)