1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb potatoes

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Magisham, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Magisham

Magisham Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can some of you e-mail Tesco and ask about them stocking these Carisma potatoes as the article I found from 2013 said Tesco was in talks with the producer in Australia. I have already e-mailed them and they said they will pass the e-mail on to their buying department, but I'm sure if enough people showed an interest they would be more inclined to do something about it.

2. BeccyB

BeccyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Administrator is it possible to get a number of people that have posted in or read the Low Carb forum? Maybe for the last 6 months or something? Just thinking it might be good to do a message to Tesco giving them an idea of the current/potential demand for LC foods.

Or a % of traffic that goes through that forum maybe - so we could tell them eg. "25% of diabetics on the site have shown interest in Low Carbing" and then apply that % to the total diabetic population? I'm guessing that would be a fair number of potential customers for them to consider! (note: I know that's quite a leap given we're a special kind of 'engaged' diabetics/pwd but it doesn't hurt to use the stats in our favour ;) )

3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Low carb spud lite's are in short supply here in Bundy they had no stock at the Woolies supermarket we use yesterday. Maybe Thursday or Friday. :meh:

So if the growers here cannot keep up low carb spuds for the local demand, it might be hard to supply the export market.

4. Administrator

Administrator Family member · Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Administrator

Good idea! Will get on the case with @Giverny tomorrow!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

You ought to give Sainsbury's the same message for a bit of competition.

Low carb spuds, no stamps no stunts* from the Sainsbury's adverts.

* Apologies for the 1960's advert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Solaire

Solaire Carer · Member

These Vivaldi potatoes are lovely .....and are lower in carbs ....very tasty , we always eat them ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gracie204

Gracie204 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi: I love potatoes, and really miss them. The above posts were written several years ago. Does anyone have any updated news of whether there are any lower carb potatoes for sale in the UK, and if so where they can be purchased? I have tried Vivaldi potatoes and they are vey nice, but as far as I can remember they are not much lower in carbs.

Many thanks.

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I remember reading about these, as they have not become available commercially it might be worth contacting the gardening suppliers, those with a high proportion of vege seeds and sets, to see if they might be able to help get things going - it might be impossible for large scale production but a greenhouse or raised bed, or even allotment might be small enough to provide anything special the plants require to flourish.

9. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We get Spud Lite potatoes when they have them in stock, at present they have been scarce as hens teeth to get, usual story covid, covid border closure between states, transport problems, now flooding.

It says on the bags do not replant, I know someone that tried to get them to strike but they did not grow shoots at all.

10. IrishAyes

IrishAyes Type 2 · Member

Had anyone actually... Tested their blood sugar after eating these?

11. Riva_Roxaban

Yes I have, and tested before and after the meal containing Spud Lite's and my bgl has been at a acceptable level. I normally eat two mall ones or one big one as, I use portion control as well as a moderate lchf menu.

12. RoughcutAU

RoughcutAU · Well-Known Member

#32 RoughcutAU, Apr 1, 2022 at 3:44 AM
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  13. IrishAyes

Yeah, IDK.... Define acceptable? I am off all meds now and control solely by diet. My goal is to never go over 120. Pretty sure these would Spike me into an unsafe range

14. Riva_Roxaban

Acceptable to me is between 100 and 150 grams carbs daily as it says in my sig.

With the Spud Lites I precook the small bag of 0.75 grams in the microwave for 15 minutes. I put them in the fridge,, and when needed I reheat them by putting the spuds I use for the meal back in the microwave for a couple of minutes. They are not bad browned up in a non stick fry pan either.

My weekly bgl is about 5.8 at the moment, which my GP is happy with.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

As another Aussie- I know about these and have a small portion once a week with my roast dinner on Sundays- they are great. I actually didn't realise they were an Aussie only product. So often I see thinks advertised for overseas that we don't have. I really hope they get started elsewhere as I personally believe that lower carb is better for everyone not just our exclusive club :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Think you could smuggle some seed potatoes through New Zealand customs??? (I suspect not, unfortunately).

17. IrishAyes

Yeah, sorry. At 22 grams of carbs in one serving that would definitely spike me into a range I don't want to go. Thought it was too good to be true. I can have 5-6 grams off carbs per meal and not spike. Anything more than that and I'm spiking WAY above 120. I keep my A1C at 4.7-4.9.

18. Riva_Roxaban

I am happy with my hba1c the last one in February 2022 - 5.7% / 39 mmol / mol.

No medication either.

We could not get Spudlites to strike.

If NZ customs / border patrol are like are like ours, I would steer clear of smuggling food / seeds / cuttings etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Megnala

Megnala · Member

20. Higaomo

Higaomo · Active Member

Wilko have Vivaldi seed potatoes, am wondering if it’s worth giving them a try, but according to Sainsbury’s website, Vivaldi and Jersey Royals both have the same carbs (13.6g per 100g)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook