"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way I can get any tablets down is with a spoonful of yoghurt. Quite a few of my tablets are the size of the ones you have shown and the yoghurt makes a big difference to my struggles.
I can get them the larger tablets down ok with water which is what I always use, but some of the tablets I take taste like ****.

I dumped a half a container of Vitamin D and Calcium tablets in the bin as they started to taste the same way and were difficult to swallow, I never had problems with them before.

Happy mothers day to Australian mums today.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I dumped a half a container of Vitamin D
I get the vit. D as a fluid. Tastes like moldy oranges but I only need to take them every two weeks so that's fine with me. I was given the choice between these and a daily tablet.

And if you take @Annb 's advice, you'll get some extra calcium with the yoghurt too. :D

280230589_10225499356065132_8478724414837071425_n.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get plenty of vitamin D from the sun here, the calcium bit is only for my crook knee.

These vitamin d are half the size of the my other ones I had. different shape as well.

IQTBfx4.jpg

Reactions: Antje77

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
My BG was 4.6 this morning and has not risen above 8 for most of the day. I visited my parents and went for a bike ride with a friend. We got caught in the rain, but it didn't stop us and we were very happy. And then we bought milkshakes and I injected not enough insulin. Now my BG is 17.9. ****, I was so good all day before this milkshake:arghh:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My BG was 4.6 this morning and has not risen above 8 for most of the day. I visited my parents and went for a bike ride with a friend. We got caught in the rain, but it didn't stop us and we were very happy. And then we bought milkshakes and I injected not enough insulin. Now my BG is 17.9. ****, I was so good all day before this milkshake:arghh:

Yes, milkshakes can be quite bad. Even home made ones using fruit and milk but no sugar and definitely no ice cream make my BG shoot up to the 17s/18s! Commercially made ones must have so much sugar that they are bound to put BG up.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Still deserving of a medal icon for managing wonderfully throughout the day!
And I guess this means you'll need more practice in dosing for milkshakes... ;)

Or perhaps share the milkshake with your friend next time, same taste, more fun, half the carbs. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, milkshakes can be quite bad. Even home made ones using fruit and milk but no sugar and definitely no ice cream make my BG shoot up to the 17s/18s! Commercially made ones must have so much sugar that they are bound to put BG up.
But some T1's without insulin resistance manage to dose for them, I suppose because the fat from the icecream delays the hit of the carbs a bit.
Sadly, I'm definitely not one of those T1's.

But I have a T1 friend who can dose for things like this without going over 8 or 10, and @Zhnyaka might be able to do this as well with a bit of practice!

Look what these guys manage! (I couldn't do that either, but it's not impossible for everyone)
They use mg/dl instead of mmol/l so here's a conversion chart:
diabetes-chart-glucose.png

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
But some T1's without insulin resistance manage to dose for them, I suppose because the fat from the icecream delays the hit of the carbs a bit.
I haven't insulin resistance and sometimes I can eat cocoa with marshmallows and eclair and have BG about 6, but today I thought I had a lot of physical activity and needed less insulin :arghh: it was a mistake

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

But I have a T1 friend who can dose for things like this without going over 8 or 10, and @Zhnyaka might be able to do this as well with a bit of practice!

Look what these guys manage! (I couldn't do that either, but it's not impossible for everyone)

There should be an emoji for envious! I am, apparently, insulin resistant to a degree, which is why I have to take so much of it. As has been said before, many times, we're all different. Imagine being able to eat even one doughnut! Em was asking if we could make some doughnuts but I don't know about that. I was telling her about the fantastic doughnuts we used to buy in Glasgow at a cafe called Dino's - maybe that was what drove me into gestational diabetes; it was at about that time. By the way -nobody has ever confirmed that I am insulin resistant, or have so called "metabolic disorder". They just mention it from time to time as though it is a given.

When I mentioned milk shakes and their effects, I was talking about me. If I wanted to have the simplest of shakes, I would have to inject more than my Humalog pen would deliver (it delivers 60u). Double injection - no thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There should be an emoji for envious!
Same here, same here.
Although I'd go and have croissants and crisps (cheese and onion to be precise) instead of doughnuts or milkshakes if I could dose for things like that. :hungry:

It's another story for @Zhnyaka of course, who doesn't have insulin resistance! :)
nobody has ever confirmed that I am insulin resistant, or have so called "metabolic disorder". They just mention it from time to time as though it is a given.
Insulin resistance is another term for T2 diabetes (and prediabetes), being insulin resistant is a given in T2's, as it's the cause of the condition!
It doesn't mean you're resistant to injected insulin in particular but to insulin in general, including your own. Which is why the insulin you produce doesn't work well, resulting in diabetes.
I was telling her about the fantastic doughnuts we used to buy in Glasgow at a cafe called Dino's - maybe that was what drove me into gestational diabetes; it was at about that time.
It wasn't the doughnuts. It's impossible to eat yourself into diabetes including gestational diabetes unless you have a predisposition for it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating the wrong things doesn't cause T2, but it may well make things worse if you are already on the brink. I was 20 and eating a vegetarian diet when I was expecting Neil. We were eating lots of veggies and cheese as well as the kind of nut roasts that were available at that time and quite a lot of beans. As I remember it, the diet was pretty high carb and we really didn't think of avoiding sugary foods. Those doughnuts were a great treat, but not all that frequent. More frequent were the M&S peanut biscuits - we could scoff a packet between us in one sitting and M&S was just a few hundred yards away in the next street to ours (Sauchiehall Street). So we walked past it very frequently when we went on our morning or evening walk. Dino's was at the far end of Sauchiehall Street, so we passed it quite frequently as well. It didn't help.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I knew it! Braidie is being allowed to keep one of the pups - a male. When it grows, and I am assuming that with his mother being so large and his dad being massive, it will grow hugely, it will have to share his bedroom because there is no other space in their little house. He was given the biggest bedroom in the house because he has so much "stuff" that he couldn't fit into the other bedrooms, so now he's going to have to keep some of the stuff out of the way of a playful, large pup. I do not approve but it's not my decision to make.

My brother has been moved out of ICU and into an ordinary ward. Great potential for criticizing the standard of care out of ICU but he had to be moved out because they needed a bed and he was the most advanced of the patients in the unit. Apparently there is a shortage of nurses and bedding, including pillows, on the new ward!

Not eating today - feeling yucky and wobbly again.

Edited to add last 2 paragraphs because the software decided to load my unfinished post.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually did eat after Em had gone home. Still a bit wobbly but had to have something. Even so, BG dropped away this evening and I've had to take a sherbet lemon to try to stop the drop.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Although he still can't walk without help, the hospital is looking to discharge my brother - there is nothing medical that they need to do any more. They could send him home, but he can't climb the stairs and the shower has a high step to get into it, so it isn't suitable. There are 2 options - one is a care home where physios could go in to help him or a unit within the hospital grounds where he could, more easily receive physio care. Whichever way it goes, he is very much on the mend and I expect him to get to his own home sometime soon. Thank God!

Edited to add: Since I've been updating reports on my brother I should add that this afternoon I received an e-mail from him - just a few words thanking me for a Get-well card. But he was communicating! He's very much on the mend. I am no longer calm - feel as though I could jump over the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few questions! @Riva_Roxaban - what is Osmolax, is it something for regularity? (Just curious
It's a stool softener so I so not get bunged up in my bowels, I have metastatic bowel cancer with several polyps in my colon that are bleeding.

One of the painkiller medications (Oxycodone10mg) I take has the side effects of constipation, the oncology mob recommended it for keeping me reasonably regular.

https://www.osmolaxrelief.com.au/

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

thanks for the link
amazing video.

I was worried about them but wow they did it

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I've tried dosing at various times before food but for me, it doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure whether these fellows were talking about all kinds of diabetes or just T1 or just T2, or whatever. Don't know if that might make a difference to the efficacy of the suggestion.

Metabolic disorder has often been mentioned in my case but never actually confirmed but I'm not clear about what this means. Questions in my mind are: Is T2 a metabolic disorder in itself? In which case why is there a question in the medics' minds? Is it only a possibility? In which case, should there be some kind of test to find out? Is there anything that can be done about it?

I've been trying to look for information on this on the internet but between all the various sites, I'm more confused than I was already. So - T2 - resisting insulin, both naturally produced and injected; apparently I am producing insulin so my pancreas must be working after a fashion at least. Even lots of injected insulin has a limited effect. The only thing that really has an effect is to eat nothing at all. Having a small effect is to reduce carbs to almost zero. Maintaining a BG level around 10 or so requires reducing carbs to 20 or 30 grams.

As I'm sure everyone on this forum knows - it's not a whole lot of fun.

Just having an early morning moan - BG is currently 12.3 on a cup of tea and an hour after taking my basal dose. At the moment I'm hungry and it's cold in the house - outside temperature is only 7 degrees at present and I won't put the heating on - and I'm sitting here in 2 big thick jumpers and a blanket around me but I should really be wearing gloves to get my hands to warm up. I'll cheer up later, when I've eaten something.