"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
What about moving your history posts from the other thread to here as well? The thread was started by a newly diagnosed T2 who mentions panic attacks because of their diagnosis. Perhaps not the best place to discuss scary historical treatment of T1?
Ah, that's on the verge of 21st century. How do I do that?!

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, that's on the verge of 21st century. How do I do that?!
Erm, you could copy and paste, and then delete the one on the old thread. Which would get confusing because @Zhnyaka has a reply there as well.

The easiest way is to get a moderator to move the posts, but this particular mod is in bed and using a phone at the moment, moderating on a phone is tricky...

I saw that @EllieM is online though, EllieM, would you mind moving a couple of posts?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I saw that @EllieM is online though, EllieM, would you mind moving a couple of posts?

Sure, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be moving. :)
And I can confirm from bitter personal experience that moderating from a phone is not a good idea....:):):)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be moving. :)
And I can confirm from bitter personal experience that moderating from a phone is not a good idea....:):):)
Oh my. You'd need to scroll up past the drop bears and you'll find a post of mine with a link to the other thread.
There you'll find a couple of posts which are off topic.

So much for giving the impression we're professionals! :D:hilarious:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
OK, by popular request (@Antje77 and @Grant_Vicat ) I've moved @Grant_Vicat 's interesting (if slightly scary) posts on historical diabetic equipment to this thread, starting here. When you move posts they appear in the new thread according to the time they were posted, which is why they now appear before the request.)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...en-parallel-chat.177870/page-110#post-2514054
I think @Antje77 's needle is in a different category. It brings back squirmy memories for this old goat!

Reactions: EllieM

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I took it to this chatty thread in the General chat section of the forum because I didn't want to derail or scare the person who posted the other thread. :)
262976563_10224724620737233_8492230266173196817_n.jpg
I'm sorry, I didn't think it would scare anyone. I'm used to needles not scaring anyone in my environment, and I completely forgot that this is not true for everyone.
I'm really fascinated by @Grant_Vicat photo. Shockproof case sounds much cooler than a plastic syringe pen, which once broke off the piston when I was in another city
Even in the almost 20 years that I have been suffering from diabetes, humanity has made tremendous progress, because I remember how slowly insulin worked when my diabetes just started and the times when I didn't have a glucose meter

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took it to this chatty thread in the General chat section of the forum because I didn't want to derail or scare the person who posted the other thread. :)

I've only used pens as well, but with the old syringes you pinch some skin and inject at an angle to inject subcutaneously.
I've done it wit a guinea pig needing medication, and with a goat too. The goat needed both a intramuscular injection and a subcutaneous one, I was instructed to use the same needle for both.
For the one in the muscle I just rammed it in the goat's neck muscle, for the subcutaneous one I pinched and injected at an angle.

Told the vet injecting the goat myself wouldn't be a problem at all, but that was before I saw the needle! :eek:
Still, I managed! :)
A goat's skin isn't much thicker than a human's, so if you can inject under the skin with this you definitely can with the ones in @Grant_Vicat 's picture!

262976563_10224724620737233_8492230266173196817_n.jpg
Imagine “ this” is the open mouth shocked emoji

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
:confused: Very.

My brother is being discharged from hospital today and going home! They haven't been able to get him into a rehab unit - no spaces - and they need his hospital bed. His wife is concerned because there is no care package in place for monitoring, never mind assisting him. He doesn't even have any normal clothes - just his pyjamas and dressing gown. Also turns out that the man in the bed next to him, who was discharged to a care home yesterday tested positive for covid, but the hospital aren't testing my brother despite his low level of fitness as yet. More to worry about but at least he will be home which is the outcome he has been desperate for.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I really am trying this new regime of dosing with insulin half an hour before eating and it does seem to work at present. But it carries difficulties with it. Lots can happen in half an hour to subvert the planning, and it is no help at all if I forget (my memory is very much like a sieve). Today, for example: I heard Neil outside talking to someone, although I couldn't hear what was being said but all became clear when Bella and Ginnie came into the kitchen. They had got out of the garden somehow and gone for a walk. Luckily, their walk took them past our house and Neil saw them and so got them to come in. Banksie was nowhere to be seen. Neil decided to take the runaways home in the car and while they were being persuaded to get in, Banksie appeared at the top of our little hill so Neil drove up and persuaded him to get in as well. Large dogs wandering without supervision around a crofting village, especially at this time of year when there are small lambs prancing around, is a recipe for disaster. All's well and they're back where they should be but that little episode had blown all thoughts of insulin, half hours and food out of my mind and I only remembered when my Libre beeped at me - almost 3 hours later.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really am trying this new regime of dosing with insulin half an hour before eating and it does seem to work at present. But it carries difficulties with it. Lots can happen in half an hour to subvert the planning, and it is no help at all if I forget (my memory is very much like a sieve). Today, for example: I heard Neil outside talking to someone, although I couldn't hear what was being said but all became clear when Bella and Ginnie came into the kitchen. They had got out of the garden somehow and gone for a walk. Luckily, their walk took them past our house and Neil saw them and so got them to come in. Banksie was nowhere to be seen. Neil decided to take the runaways home in the car and while they were being persuaded to get in, Banksie appeared at the top of our little hill so Neil drove up and persuaded him to get in as well. Large dogs wandering without supervision around a crofting village, especially at this time of year when there are small lambs prancing around, is a recipe for disaster. All's well and they're back where they should be but that little episode had blown all thoughts of insulin, half hours and food out of my mind and I only remembered when my Libre beeped at me - almost 3 hours later.
After reading Sugar Surfing I’ve also been trying to alter the times between insulin dose and eating. Like you, sieve memory isn’t helpful, although the libre is indispensable. I’ve found it helpful to also set a 30min timer on my iPad as a reminder in case I get distracted. My distraction is usually one of two high maintenance cats, a little easier to corral than big dogs but just as distracting.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother is home - he was discharged from the hospital at 7 pm yesterday. They needed his bed. Not sure how he is going to manage getting around his house - the bed and bath rooms are on the first floor and, at present they need a handrail on the stairs but I'm hoping they can get that organised soon. Meantime, it is a bit of a risk, but I'm sure he'll manage - he won't allow himself not to!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just realised how much I natter on about my stomach (most recently on the other thread). It's really not as bad as it sounds - uncomfortable, but not seriously painful - unlike some of the things other people on this forum have to suffer. I'm just a wimp! Anyway, I have to go and have another endo/colon-oscopy when they can fit me in - probably a month or so, so they should pick up anything going wrong.

Just received an appointment for a US scan (in Stornoway) to check my liver again - that's next week and another one for a diabetes blood check the week after. I imagine my HBa1c is going to be interesting!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hi,
Great stuff.
I heard someone talking about his diabetes when he was young.
He used to boil his syringes because they were reusable.
Nostalgia! Mine were boiled till about 1975. Then I found the magic carrying cases.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
uncomfortable, but not seriously painful - unlike some of the things other people on this forum have to suffer. I'm just a wimp!
If someone is worse than you, it does not mean that you do not have the right to feel pain

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If someone is worse than you, it does not mean that you do not have the right to feel pain

Just so, but it doesn't mean I have to keep going on about it.

Just taken my basal insulin and my bolus, set the timer to half an hour to remind me to eat, taken my first antibiotic pill of the day and am on my third cup of tea. I will just say:
upload_2022-5-20_8-45-27.png
and leave it at that!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm visiting my parents today. It's really hard for my diabetes. But just look at those impudent furry muzzles
Screenshot_20220521_123453_com.huawei.photos.png

Reactions: Speedbird

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I fell in love with the videos of these guys. So much fun and so informative! Usually funny videos about diabetes are shot by diabetics themselves, but not by doctors, and here they are both diabetics and endocrinologists. Amazing! Now they have another fan (and I seem to have much less problems in understanding English by ear than I thought). Thanks!

Reactions: Antje77