What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello to all on the day people honour St Dunstan and we here celebrate the birth of our firstborn way back in 1986 - my but time flies. By August we had moved away from SE25 back to Cambridgeshire - I commuted to work . On one occasion I managed to get in when people living in Greater London couldn't - very popular with colleagues. @gennepher thank you for the detailed story and the wonderful kaleidoscope. Hug for the bites. From memory today in 1986 the weather was just as dull and cool. Enjoy your day safely but with due care and attention for all your playmates.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning. 2 hours after breakfast 6.4 which I was really pleased with. A bit grey and miserable here at the moment.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
those exercises sound very similar to Tai Chi.
Yes I do think that you are right. It is the slowness of Tai Chi that is similar and very beneficial.

Have had great fun adapting all the body weight as resistance exercises that we do in Pilates to emphasise the eccentric part of the movement. It definitely makes the exercises so much harder and more effective. I actually ache all over now as I have really overdone it.

The class member who sent me the link to the Michael Mosley podcast on eccentric exercise joked that she wished she hadn't sent it to me. At least I think that she was joking.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How's a guy supposed to make a decent vinaigrette now? Omnishambles doesn't begin to cover this. Yes, I know this is a very niche first world problem so wind yer neck in.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello to all on the day people honour St Dunstan and we here celebrate the birth of our firstborn way back in 1986 - my but time flies. By August we had moved away from SE25 back to Cambridgeshire - I commuted to work . On one occasion I managed to get in when people living in Greater London couldn't - very popular with colleagues. @gennepher thank you for the detailed story and the wonderful kaleidoscope. Hug for the bites. From memory today in 1986 the weather was just as dull and cool. Enjoy your day safely but with due care and attention for all your playmates.
Thank you @ianpspurs
And for the compliment.
:)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little catch up

FBG still doing the bond run....007.xyz most days

Been a slow week .

Therapy went well-ish.

Worked out one of the things that triggers me is a certain sound.

Chewing the fat with my cousin, we work out a plausible scenario .
me being under scooter as van continues driving whilst I'm trapped under it ?

Noise is a particular pitch of motor noises .
Think the axle grinders that cut paving stone.

Plausible, and would explain the nightmares and intrusive memories ??

Anyway an honest session, fleshed out with a Little more personal details, both sides

Feel we're now properly introduced & have a working relationship.

Next week we deep dive the trauma itself :sorry::meh:

Other news , cousins brother in ICU, doing better
Vent taken out but trachea put in
Aware AND responding .WHOOP WHOOP.

Early days but the most positive news so far TG.

Cats still here.xx

I can't decide if when I get home & they both stroll out to check who it is
If it's more like

* the kray twins
* The twins in the shining
Or
* The Napoleon robot & friends from blade runner.

Each equally disturbing, :wideyed:

especially when the chorus of disapproval starts because God forbid their food bowls are empty because they scoffed it double quick
OR
full because they played food chicken with the chicken good Meister, hoping I'd cave and give them cat treats instead ..

They just can't read my poker face properly yet,...furry suckers :hilarious:

Trip out today
Boris bike (must stop calling it that :banghead:)
Crutch snaggled onto bike (ooh err, missus )
, oft we go

Weirdly the knee is ok with gentle circular motion up and down...have to more careful stepping down or jarring it if pedalling over potholes etc

Found out at a stop it DOES NOT LIKE and sideward pressure.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

No sirree, the rush of pain was an instant reminder

Eased after a bit

Walking still not good tire very easy & mobility is very poor as a pedestrian

Has given me a large dose of humility & a respect for how those less able must struggle daily .

Oh, and on the quiet, (not sure it would get a good response indoors )
neither motorcycle touched since before accident, so 5 months sat there

Charged battery on scooter
A couple of stabs of the button and she only starts...yehaaw....

Short lived joy,, sadly
Petrol dripping heavily from engine (carb)
Seems either float valve stuck Or carb rubbers need replacing :sorry:

But I can get on with it now I have some small measure of mobility & the sun is shining,

so slow & steady, (with lashing of patience as I fumble and drop things far too easily :banghead::arghh:)
I might have it running by end of next month ..

Hope all are well.
I check in each day to see how your all doing, even if I don't post.
Mood can be just too low to be of use to anyone here, so less said, soonest mended ..

Love to all here
Hugs to @alf_Josiah & @dunelm .on their own sabbaticals.

Ciao Bella.x

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How's a guy supposed to make a decent vinaigrette now? Omnishambles doesn't begin to cover this. Yes, I know this is a very niche first world problem so wind yer neck in.
I put funny because of the writing style

But it's clearly not funny in reality .

A scorched earth (India) or severe flooding (Australia) *other nations substitute nicely..

Is in no one's interest.

Laying aside what to do

It reads as if all the companies are in competition with each other over basics .

We've moved far from city states, and I remember being gobsmmacked when someone posted "how many food companies in the world"?

Thousands, hundreds of thousands..??

TEN ..:wideyed:
All the big names but TEN control the majority of the planets food :wideyed:

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/these-10-companies-control-everything-you-buy-a7765461.html

Incredible
Suits alor ..as delboy says.;):D

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put funny because of the writing style

But it's clearly not funny in reality .

A scorched earth (India) or severe flooding (Australia) *other nations substitute nicely..

Is in no one's interest.

Laying aside what to do

It reads as if all the companies are in competition with each other over basics .

We've moved far from city states, and I remember being gobsmmacked when someone posted "how many food companies in the world"?

Thousands, hundreds of thousands..??

TEN ..:wideyed:
All the big names but TEN control the majority of the planets food :wideyed:

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/these-10-companies-control-everything-you-buy-a7765461.html

Incredible
Suits alor ..as delboy says.;):D
And each of those 10 companies have their own agenda @jjraak in what is in the food, and for the distribution of their product, and it is not for the benefit of the consumer.
I read a few weird things about the start up of Kellogg's many years ago. I cannot find the original article, but here is something similar.
https://daily.jstor.org/the-strange-backstory-behind-your-breakfast-cereal/
I couldn't look at Kellogg's in the same way, have never bought anything Kellogg's since...

Actually I try to steer clear of all food companies as far as possible with their prepared (call it processed if you will) foods and added ingredients. It is just about impossible, but I try as far it is possible.

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little catch up

Been a slow week .

Therapy went well-ish.

Anyway an honest session, fleshed out with a Little more personal details, both sides

Cats still here.xx

If it's more like

* the kray twins
Or

especially when the chorus of disapproval starts because God forbid their food bowls are empty because they scoffed it double quick
OR
full because they played food chicken with the chicken good Meister, hoping I'd cave and give them cat treats instead ..

Trip out today
, oft we go

Weirdly the knee is ok with gentle circular motion up and down...have to more careful stepping down or jarring it if pedalling over potholes etc

Found out at a stop it DOES NOT LIKE and sideward pressure.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Eased after a bit

Has given me a large dose of humility & a respect for how those less able must struggle daily .

Short lived joy,, sadly

But I can get on with it now I have some small measure of mobility & the sun is shining,

so slow & steady, (with lashing of patience as I fumble and drop things far too easily :banghead::arghh:)

Hope all are well.
Mood can be just too low to be of use to anyone here, so less said, soonest mended ..

Love to all here

Ciao Bella.x
I am giving you a winner @jjraak
You are going through a lot in this. But I would like to send gentle hugs as well.

That is great what you and your cousin have worked out with the sound scenario that triggers off an adverse/negative reaction. I have certain things that trigger me off. Light, vibration, texture, scents which can jolt me right back. That axle grinder cutting concrete sound would really jar your teeth/bones. Yes all that would explain your nightmares and intrusive memories.

I am glad your cousin's brother is improving. That is really good news.

Ah, the Kray/Shining/robotic twins coming at you for the expensive treats....only the best for them. They are training you very well. Your poker face may be good, but what about your eye pupils giving the game away....

I look forward to you posting...

As you say we are missing a couple of regulars @alf_Josiah and @dunelm
I hope they are both well.

You take care xx

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

The sparrows are feeding their young ones away from the nest.
Mr Sparrow is currently training a little demanding female sparrow how to feed off the fatball feeders.
The baby female sparrow has no intention of feeding herself, and is trying to show her daddy how hard it is to feed herself, and that she cannot do it. So, daddy sparrow relents and feeds her from the fatball again and again. Then he refuses. The female baby sparrow tries every persuasive technique she can think of to get her daddy to feed her again. It would be quicker if she fed herself. But she won't.
Then her daddy flies to the next branch, away from the fatball feeders. The female baby sparrow is quivering away with her whole body, opening her beak all the while.
Daddy sparrow takes no notice and flies into the bushes. The baby female sparrow says, what the heck, my daddy has left me. Then she she has a good old competent feed from the fatball feeders, and flies after her daddy saying she is absolutely starving and doesn't have the skills to feed herself....

Creative is Sweet Cicely as a kaleidoscope in Laboscope. You can use the leaves to sweeten rhubarb as it is cooking...

Coffee now...
image.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A little catch up

Been a slow week .

Therapy went well-ish.

Cats still here.xx

If it's more like

* the kray twins
Or

OR

Trip out today
, oft we go

Eased after a bit

Short lived joy,, sadly

Hope all are well.

Love to all here

Ciao Bella.x
You are doing so well @jjraak . Please do post during the times that you feel a bit downbeat.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Definitely plausible @jjraak . For ages I couldn't work out why the sirens of ambulances and police cars sent shivers up my spine - then I realised that it was taking me back to the time I was lying in the road and an ambulance and 3 police cars were racing to my rescue.

Predictive Text keeps changing cars to cats. I don't think that police cats exist and I have no idea why predictive text thinks that they do.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all on another Friday which means my personal Elsie happy place - Salmon Salad with or without halloumi fries or avocado. There was definitely a Magpie feeding on the fatballs JKP set up for birds here today. @gennepher thank you for prompting me to even think of taking a look in that direction. Also, thanks for today's account of life in your garden and the kaleidoscope - another plant I hadn't known. @jjraak good to hear from you, read of your progress however semigly slow/laboured and that your cousin is making progress. Drop in when you can. I can really relate to a sudden awareness of how people with mobility issues may feel - guilt for all those years of not doing so. I have also begun to strongly appreciate how those athletes in The Invictus games who were previously very active can sink into deep despondency. I'm seeing this as God widening my love and compassion for others however painful I may find the lesson. Rather like Science and Maths were in school for me - absolutely necessary but uncomfortable to live through. Here's to those temporarily absent, those living patiently with problems or grief too painful to share. Team D may or may not help with the management of The D but wider benefits probably massively outweigh that. Them's my onions anyhow.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all on another Friday which means my personal Elsie happy place - Salmon Salad with or without halloumi fries or avocado. There was definitely a Magpie feeding on JKP's fatballs here today. @gennepher thank you for prompting me to even think of taking a look in that direction. Also, thanks for today's account of life in your garden and the kaleidoscope - another plant I hadn't known. @jjraak good to hear from you, read of your progress however semigly slow/laboured and that your cousin is making progress. Drop in when you can. I can really relate to a sudden awareness of how people with mobility issues may feel - guilt for all those years of not doing so. I have also begun to strongly appreciate how those athletes in The Invictus games who were previously very active can sink into deep despondency. I'm seeing this as God widening my love and compassion for others however painful I may find the lesson. Rather like Science and Maths were in school for me - absolutely necessary but uncomfortable to live through. Here's to those temporarily absent, those living patiently with problems or grief too painful to share. Team D may or may not help with the management of The D but wider benefits probably massively outweigh that. Them's my onions anyhow.
Thanks @ianpspurs
And for the compliment...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all on another Friday which means my personal Elsie happy place - Salmon Salad with or without halloumi fries or avocado. There was definitely a Magpie feeding on the fatballs JKP set up for birds here today. @gennepher thank you for prompting me to even think of taking a look in that direction. Also, thanks for today's account of life in your garden and the kaleidoscope - another plant I hadn't known. @jjraak good to hear from you, read of your progress however semigly slow/laboured and that your cousin is making progress. Drop in when you can. I can really relate to a sudden awareness of how people with mobility issues may feel - guilt for all those years of not doing so. I have also begun to strongly appreciate how those athletes in The Invictus games who were previously very active can sink into deep despondency. I'm seeing this as God widening my love and compassion for others however painful I may find the lesson. Rather like Science and Maths were in school for me - absolutely necessary but uncomfortable to live through. Here's to those temporarily absent, those living patiently with problems or grief too painful to share. Team D may or may not help with the management of The D but wider benefits probably massively outweigh that. Them's my onions anyhow.

Hi @ianpspurs

I so agree with your point re invictus game attendees...that and so many other occasions do put our own woes in perspective
Such steely resilience...respect .

Hope you are as well as can be & life is getting a little easier.

And you are spot on, with the benefits beyond dietary advice of the forum in general, but absolutely this thread .

Trying to make all the changes required, and missing the mark on anyway can be stressful & worrying to the point of resignation

But the confidence that the thread offers is just like a safety net for the high wire trapeze artists

No net..no way
Safety net ..and we have the confidence to at least step forward and try one more time

With the added bonus, we get try try & try again after that, too

All of course after a good debrief and encouraging pat's on the back from the team here :)

Makes getting back out 'there' far less daunting .

Go TEAM :D:happy:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely plausible @jjraak . For ages I couldn't work out why the sirens of ambulances and police cars sent shivers up my spine - then I realised that it was taking me back to the time I was lying in the road and an ambulance and 3 police cars were racing to my rescue.

Predictive Text keeps changing cars to cats. I don't think that police cats exist and I have no idea why predictive text thinks that they do.
Omg ..exactly that

How awful for you ..especially last few years, it seemed the ONLY sound at points during early lockdown :arghh:

And early on that must have been so awful, seeing yourself back there, again & again

May I ask how long before you felt you 'managed' not to be so shaken (?) By the sounds ?

Hope today's a good one.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing so well @jjraak . Please do post during the times that you feel a bit downbeat.
Thank you @Krystyna23040 .
Needy I know, but sometimes something so simple does take on a larger meaning when one doesn't feel progress is even occurring.
A simple mention can help in refreshing the view from the trenches ...ta :)

I keep forgetting to mention Lauren has been doing power or balance Pilates ?

Thought I'd mention to you, it's like Pilates I have seen of numerous adverts YouTube etc, except it seems more aligned with TENKO

She tells me it's moving boards on runners or rails, twinned with resistance bands .
Image I get is something akin to the hoops gymnastics, except on a mechanics floor crawler..(the one where they lay flat and slide under car to fix 'things' )

Crazy hard by the sounds of it, and by the look of her face when she gets home, too .;):D

Shouldn't laugh .
She enjoys it, so proud of her :happy:

Again, thank you for the post

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg ..exactly that

How awful for you ..especially last few years, it seemed the ONLY sound at points during early lockdown :arghh:

And early on that must have been so awful, seeing yourself back there, again & again

May I ask how long before you felt you 'managed' not to be so shaken (?) By the sounds ?

Hope today's a good one.
It did take quite a while. It got a lot easier when I tried to focus on the people who were waiting to be rescued and that the sirens were helping the rescuers to get to them quickly.

I got a lot of practice at that because emergency vehicles speed out of Norwich past my venue on the Ipswich Road many times a day.