Cake sale

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. I wonder how many poor souls will go? Maybe the cakes will be low fat lol.

Reactions: Wendyjoy

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery used to do that, too. In the days when they actually let patients inside the building. It was to support the cancer charity that had the tea party fund raisers.
I always thought it most unhygienic to have a table of cakes, uncovered, in the waiting room, where people were sitting with their coughs and viruses. Quite apart from the cakes being generally the shop bought mass produced junk, that are surely not good for anyone, never mind the people with diabetes.

Reactions: Wendyjoy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure…. Would you?
I wouldn't. I feel like I enter a different world when I go to my surgery. It's like the man with eyes who went into a village of blind people. They all thought his eyes were the problem and that having eyes made him crazy.
I say as little as possible and get out as quickly as possible. It's no good reasoning with people like that. Life's too short and I can't stand the stress.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So nice of my doctors surgery to invite all their diabetic patients to a cake sale this week.

Yummy, I guess they'll have lots of delicious keto cakes??? :)

90% of us (the type 2’s) pretty much all need to be aware of cakes and just how many low carb cakes have you seen in the real world outside of low carb circles?
On holiday last year (maybe the year before, during a gap when NZ was closed to the rest of the world but covid free) randomly found a cafe serving keto cakes while we were on holiday. Have to say that I didn't particularly like the keto cheesecake though. :bigtears:

Reactions: HSSS

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my painting group have their exhibition, tea & cakes are the order of the day. I always make a low carb cake, labelled as diabetic friendly with a list of the ingredients. I always get the comment - that it was lovely that somebody thought of them.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We get free wifi at my GP's surgery, they also Lion's xmas cakes in November.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I did my NHS T2 introduction course, the 20 or so newly diagnosed T2s in the room were provided with several plates of supermarket biscuits twice during each session, once at the beginning and once at a break. I'd like to say nobody ate them, but the reality is the plates were cleared.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have helped at the MacMillan Coffee Mornings at our surgery, in the days before the barricades went up and never came down. I also baked, enthusiastically for the sales - all "normal" cakes and savouries.

Personally, I think it's up to me what I choose to eat or drink and for anyone to tell me I (in the context of my T2 diagnosis) shouldn't be having x, y or z, at a an irregular, fund-raising event is inappropriate. The event isn't being help as a health awareness event for those with dietary challenges, it is to raise funds.

Let's face it, if I want to contribute to the funds raised, I can just put my hand into my pocket and do it - cash in the kitty.

(I'll just get my hard hate and flak jacket and sit in the corner awaiting the incoming. :) )

Reactions: Nicki70 and EllieM

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Do they want to practice bringing people out of hyperglycemic coma?

*I said after eating a cake today*:hilarious:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have helped at the MacMillan Coffee Mornings at our surgery, in the days before the barricades went up and never came down. I also baked, enthusiastically for the sales - all "normal" cakes and savouries.

Personally, I think it's up to me what I choose to eat or drink and for anyone to tell me I (in the context of my T2 diagnosis) shouldn't be having x, y or z, at a an irregular, fund-raising event is inappropriate. The event isn't being help as a health awareness event for those with dietary challenges, it is to raise funds.

Let's face it, if I want to contribute to the funds raised, I can just put my hand into my pocket and do it - cash in the kitty.

(I'll just get my hard hate and flak jacket and sit in the corner awaiting the incoming. :) )
No one is telling anyone what to eat and not eat or how to raise funds. It is stating facts.

But specifically this is a Drs surgery inviting 90% patients that are carb challenged to come and indulge in non nutritional carbs, and I’m sure you can see the difference between this and another venue with a different demographic of invitees.

Can you seriously not see the message it is sending to these particular people - eat sugary junk food with our blessing and disregard the effects it has - and the educational message it fails to send.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat