Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have a question about my dose
at 15:45 I had my lunch my bfs before lunch was 5.9
then at 18:45 my bg was 4.7

does this mean I took too much insulin with my meal?

Thanks

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 Only a little in my opinion................4.7 is a fine number with me. But you are probably still going to drop a small amount as it was only 3 hours later. But not off by much!

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Marie 2
Yes exactly
I included the full reading ( I forgot to mention that 3.8 at 18:29).

at 15:45 ----- bg at 5.9
at 18:29 ---- bg at 3.8 mark
sorry I remember, I treated hypo
at 18:45 bg 4.7

Thanks

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 Then definitely too strong!!!! You might be able to figure out how much too strong by how many carbs you ate for the hypo? Instead of 1 unit for each ? carbs, it should have been 1 unit for the carbs with the hypo treatment added??

For example......If it's 1 unit per 15 carbs and you took 3 units for 45 carbs
Add on 15 carbs for the hypo treatment, so it should have been 3 units for 60 carbs instead.
Equaling 1 unit per each 20 carbs would have been more appropriate.

But keep in mind that's simplistic..........it will depend on many factors, how long you were steady beforehand., when was the last time you had insulin which might have added to the hypo, did you exercise or had more activity beforehand etc etc

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Why didn't I think of that?
upload_2022-5-22_21-22-22.png

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
Back home now from a stay with East Midlands daughter and family. Trains travelled, tick. Bus pass used again, tick. But. Phone, bank cards, buss pass, driving licence, Ghic card, all in phone case, still at daughters. She’ll courier it back to me. Seems very odd to be catapulted back to pre-phone, pre-cards days, but the iPad prevents a true return to the 80s. Phew, Libre readings on the watlaa, without which my fingertips would be protesting again.
I was able to use my passport to block cards and will be without them until next week. Husband’s phone, and the landline, are now the link with daughter. It’s a snail’s finger speed of communication when he messages so I guess in the meantime I’ll have to talk with the fish and the cat if I want any swift interaction.
I do feel strangely liberated having breached the pandemic walls that shut out trains, busses, indoor dining (a lovely indoor meal with daughter beside a canal boats berth), but also still wary of being too rash. The next few days will tell.
Have a good day everyone.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
PS, I remembered to tell daughter the pass to get into my phone and disable the alarms I’ve set for the morning and evening Levemir doses. I had visions of them spooking the courier and the phone being destroyed as a suspect terrorist device.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Guardian 3 decided it didn’t want to be kind to me this morning and failed after 2 calibration attempts so I’m doing a set change in the middle of the work room, it’s a good job everyone I work with understands what I’m doing and why :hilarious:

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I’ve previously been posting in type 2 as that was what I was told I have but now re diagnosed as type 1/1.5 LADA. So I’m armed with a Libre and ready to tackle whatever happens now, which starts with repeat c peptide amongst other bloods, and then discussion as to whether to start insulin. I am doing low carb which has helped my overall numbers but still get a morning spike despite not eating -and if I eat anything more than very little meal the night before my blood sugar punishes me for it in the morning. Still a bit of a shock to have the diagnosis but at least I know it wasn’t me not working hard enough to stop my numbers raising. Hope this is the right place to post. Have a good day everyone!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning @iwilltouchyourcat, and welcome. Here, we talk about anything and everything which can be humanly, and of course humanely, very refreshing.
It usually is a bit of a shock to get a T1/1.5 diagnosis, and it can become a tad overwhelming to face a lifetime of exogenous insulin. Those of us who’ve had to jab or pump for years, to carb count or avoid, are more or less used to it now. Many of us have a way of letting the occasional T1/1.5 toddler behaviour have a piece of our minds.
I hope your c-peptide results come back soon so you can begin to settle with a firmer idea of what will help subdue the morning highs. Have you been given a gad test?
I, personally, find uncertainty harder to cope with than having a clear idea of a condition.
I’m intrigued by the name you’ve chosen to go by.
I think you’ll find a few keto people here: @Marie 2 will probably know more of them.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning @iwilltouchyourcat, and welcome. Here, we talk about anything and everything which can be humanly, and of course humanely, very refreshing.
It usually is a bit of a shock to get a T1/1.5 diagnosis, and it can become a tad overwhelming to face a lifetime of exogenous insulin. Those of us who’ve had to jab or pump for years, to carb count or avoid, are more or less used to it now. Many of us have a way of letting the occasional T1/1.5 toddler behaviour have a piece of our minds.
I hope your c-peptide results come back soon so you can begin to settle with a firmer idea of what will help subdue the morning highs. Have you been given a gad test?
I, personally, find uncertainty harder to cope with than having a clear idea of a condition.
I’m intrigued by the name you’ve chosen to go by.
I think you’ll find a few keto people here: @Marie 2 will probably know more of them.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I have had a gad test an cpep- I had high antibodies in gad results but c pep showed decent insulin production so consultant thinks repeat is indicated to check whether my pancreas is erratically producing insulin and caught it in a good day. This will inform next steps ie whether I start insulin now or watch and wait. But morning highs very much present despite doing IF and unless I severely restrict my cals / carbs so likely I’ll need insulin sooner rather than later they think. I already have a cgm and am not scared of needles (tattooed nurse!) so starting insulin doesn’t freak me out too much. I just wanted to know what I’m dealing with and I’ve got some answers now. I have coeliac disease too which was their first indication that it could be autoimmune vs type 2. I got admitted with dka in feb which started this whole process off.

Low carb works for me although I’m also vegan ( by choice ) which complicates things but I’m working from home at the moment so have the time to meal prep. I’ve also lost a lot of my excess weight which is good for my general health.

My username is tribute to my two kitties and the fact that I am generally cat obsessed. I WILL touch your cat!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Filippino delicacy, Halo Halo, a strange concoction of Ube flavoured ice cream, gelatine, evaporated milk, fruit and crushed ice.

View attachment 54602
No idea how much sugar there is in this bad boy so I only had 1 mouthful and left the rest for Mrs Urb' to finish off.
Wow! It looks like it's worth all the insulin you'll have to inject. Is it delicious?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Wow! It looks like it's worth all the insulin you'll have to inject. Is it delicious?

I suppose any answer to that question would be subjective. Mrs Urb' loves it but for me it's just OK. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@iwilltouchyourcat Hi and Welcome! I am not low carb or keto, but I am a vegan! @LooperCat is low carb, she's not a vegan or vegetarian, but she has food allergies and eats a lot of vegetarian food. She's not been on as much lately though. I did post a link to vegan low carb sites.

So many of us are misdiagnosed at first because diet and meds work for a little while. It can be a very slow change that can take years to completely lose the ability to make insulin.

There is what we call DP, (dawn phenomenon) caused by a hormone release before you get up and your body releases glucose for fuel in preparation for getting up. There is also FOTF (foot on the floor) that happens once you are awake. I get both, or trend one off and on. They both cause some insulin resistance for a few hours after. There is still some theory that excess carbs can still cause more of a release of glucose, because your body has plenty to dump. But Type 1's don't follow the same rules as type 2's. And when you eat or what you eat doesn't necessarily mean anything for them to occur.

My reaction is over the top to food in the morning. I have extra high settings for my basal rate and higher ratios if I bolus in the am in case I do eat something (on an insulin pump). But generally for me it'.s easier to just not eat in the am. But my numbers go up even without eating. If I try to eat my BG shoots up high and it is stubborn to come down. Although Afrezza for me has helped if I want a small amount of carbs in the am. But it depends where you live if you have access to that.

I would suggest you push to start some fast acting insulin. An extra dose in the am would help bring down your numbers, plus it would get you used to starting using some insulin. Some people automatically take a dose once they wake up. That's kind of like my pump having extra higher settings in the am. Eventually you will have to be using insulin all the time, so you might as well get started with small doses now.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-recipe-sites-normal-and-low-carb.174751/

Last edited:
Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all. Dentist in half an hour. Begun to prepare a spot in the greenhouse for the cucumbers, blood sugars interrupted that and husband’s just trashed the strawberry bed climbing over the fence to release a bird that he thought was trapped in next door’s greenhouse.
Blood sugars still falling.
Hey ho.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@iwilltouchyourcat Hi and Welcome! I am not low carb or keto, but I am a vegan! @LooperCat is low carb, she's not a vegan or vegetarian, but she has food allergies and eats a lot of vegetarian food. She's not been on as much lately though. I did post a link to vegan low carb sites.

So many of us are misdiagnosed at first because diet and meds work for a little while. It can be a very slow change that can take years to completely lose the ability to make insulin.

There is what we call DP, (dawn phenomenon) caused by a hormone release before you get up and your body releases glucose for fuel in preparation for getting up. There is also FOTF (foot on the floor) that happens once you are awake. I get both, or trend one off and on. They both cause some insulin resistance for a few hours after. There is still some theory that excess carbs can still cause more of a release of glucose, because your body has plenty to dump. But Type 1's don't follow the same rules as type 2's. And when you eat or what you eat doesn't necessarily mean anything for them to occur.

My reaction is over the top to food in the morning. I have extra high settings for my basal rate and higher ratios if I bolus in the am in case I do eat something (on an insulin pump). But generally for me it'.s easier to just not eat in the am. But my numbers go up even without eating. If I try to eat my BG shoots up high and it is stubborn to come down. Although Afrezza for me has helped if I want a small amount of carbs in the am. But it depends where you live if you have access to that.

I would suggest you push to start some fast acting insulin. An extra dose in the am would help bring down your numbers, plus it would get you used to starting using some insulin. Some people automatically take a dose once they wake up. That's kind of like my pump having extra higher settings in the am. Eventually you will have to be using insulin all the time, so you might as well get started with small doses now.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-recipe-sites-normal-and-low-carb.174751/

Thanks so much for the reply! Very good suggestions. My friend who is type 1 actually suggested starting on a morning insulin dose too, and I think that’s what will be needed sooner rather than later. but consultant wants to recheck my c peptide levels first as they showed I was producing a good amount of insulin but she suspected it was just a good day and my insulin production is more erratic than the test result suggested. She also asked me to do a non fasting blood test as she said my fasting might have affected the results? I definitely have DP and foot on the floor. At the moment low carb and low cal diet is keeping me in a better zone but it’s always higher in the mornings (8-10) and then back to ‘normal’ by midday ish (5-7) but I have been experiencing some hypos overnight too from restricted cals. However, If I eat a ‘normal’ amount (around 1500 cals as I’m still losing weight to bring my bmi out of overweight range) it shoots up as soon as I wake up. So I’m doing okish with 1000 cals a day and low carb but that’s not sustainable forever - I’ll run out of weight to lose-and is really just delaying the inevitable anyway. She supported me reducing the gliclazide and I just take 80mg in the morning for now but again she said that I will be on insulin one way or another. I’ve also noticed that stress really does a number on my blood sugar too- my elderly cat has been very ill and repeated vet visits and seeing him suffer is really stressing me out and my morning numbers have been higher as a result.

Thanks for the link that’s really interesting. I’m doing okay with the vegan low carb (it’s not really keto as I average around 40 -50 carbs per day) as I’m an inventive cook and love veg. I’ve also discovered 100% cocoa chocolate and 10cal sugar free jelly which helps with the sweet tooth but lawd do I miss proper bread I have coeliac too so I’m used to having to omit a lot of foods.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
My friend's birthday is today, and I was able to eat a lot of pizza, rolls and sweet soda, and my BG did not rise above 13. Yahoo! Twice as much insulin as usual, but only two injections for this meal. I'm proud of myself :cat:

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I usually take my levemir in the morning.

today as usual I had it in the morning and I just had another dose of levemir before dinner (same amount :( ) .
What should I do tomorrow?.

Should I skip it or take small amount of tomorrow's dose