"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an appointment for an HbA1c blood test this morning. Normally this would be done by a diabetic nurse with a fingerprick test. When I got there I found that it was a nurse from the blood testing unit who needed a syringeful of blood. What you want and what you get may well be 2 different things and in my case usually are. It took 2 nurses half an hour to get anything and then they only got about 3 ml and had to leave it at that. I had warned them that I am notoriously mean when it comes to giving blood. Anyway, once again nurses said they would be taking the day off the next time my name came up for testing blood. Came home with quite a few holes punched in my arms which will bruise after having needles waggled around while they tried to find something to give up some blood - all apologetic but really it isn't my fault!

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't even get the result of the blood test - unlike the usual HBa1c test, which reports back immediately. I'll have to get in touch and find out in a few daqys - the medics won't be letting me know. It's only my blood after all.

Bad night after having palm heart pasta. Shan't be having that again so the rest will go into the bin. I didn't enjoy it anyway - a very odd and unpleasant taste and texture to me. I'm sure it would be fine for others. This is just my usual intolerance to lots of plant based foods. Don't know why I once thought to be vegetarian although it's not all plants that do it. I can eat the old fashioned root veg and some of the more recently available things like aubergines, courgettes and peppers but vegetables, other than those, which have been turned into thickeners (eg tapioca, arrowroot), pasta as palm hears or sweeteners (Stevia for example) really are unacceptable to my system. Obviously Neil inherited that gene from me, because he has much the same issues, but worse.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is from the main thread, so I thought it better to transfer here

The UK enjoys being different to everyone else and loves sticking with tradition, especially if it doesn't make a lot of sense. Obviously a metric system would make things much easier, but we would have to relearn everything and that's not for us! Especially us oldies. So, many of us stick with Lbs and ozs, £ and d (pence) (would actually prefer to keep the s. as well, but that has been taken away from us). What could make more sense than having a coinage which includes 12 pence (made up of farthings thrupences, sixpences and halfpennies) to a shilling and 20 shillings to the £ (pound) and which also included the regrettably long lost guineas, sovereigns, crowns, half crowns, groats etc?

There is, of course, the very sensible way that we measured liquids - gallons, pints, gills, fluid ounces - so much more sensible than litres and millilitres. And anyway, what does a kilometer look like compared to a mile? Are there more kilometers in a mile, or more miles in a kilometer? I know that Stornoway is 7 miles from our house, but no idea how many kilometers that is. Unfortunately, these days, we have to sell things using the metric system (EC ruled that). So we can't buy a pint or half pint of milk. The smallest quantity of milk we can buy is a half litre - not good if what you want is around the 250 ml mark - just not available anywhere that I know of.

Fuel for the car is sold in litres and that leaves many of us not sure how much we are paying for the fuel that we used to buy by the gallon (I remember my Dad getting very angry when he found he had to pay 1/6d for a gallon of petrol - that's 71/2 p in new money).

Measuring areas of land is another matter altogether and I have to admit that I don't really understand how it works. I know what 31/2 acres looks like because that's the land that we have here, but what is that in hectares? And what do rods, poles and perches look like? I do understand inches, feet and yards but links, chains and furlongs are pretty meaningless to me. Then there are the nautical measurements that my husband was very familiar with, but which were always a mystery to me (fathoms, shackles, cables, nautical miles). Some of our measurement date back to Roman times but, perhaps just as well, we have forgotten some of them - hands, palms, nails, fingers. cubits, ells, bolts, leagues.

So, I have to admit that the metric system is sensible - my husband frequently used to extol the virtues of it, but I am rather attached to the ones I understand and the ones I don't understand, I don't use anyway.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Horsey people know that there are eight furlongs to a mile, and a hand is four inches across. An average male adult hand still is! A foot (adult male) is usually a foot, a yard is one stride. Easy really.

Sorry - offtopic - what have I eaten? A big salad, 2 boiled bantam eggs and a tiny piece of cheese.

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Horsey people know that there are eight furlongs to a mile, and a hand is four inches across. An average male adult hand still is! A foot (adult male) is usually a foot, a yard is one stride. Easy really.

Sorry - offtopic - what have I eaten? A big salad, 2 boiled bantam eggs and a tiny piece of cheese.

Since many of our measurements come from the old Roman system, I guess some of those old guys had pretty average hands and big feet. My son, Neil is a big lad and has big hands which are about 4" across the palm, but add in the thumbs to make the full hand and they are considerably bigger - about 5". His feet are not a foot long though. His stride is something well over a meter but then, he does have very long legs. He can't measure a reliable fathom either - his arms are far too long. So I guess, contrary to what I used to think, that those old Romans were pretty big fellers - in parts at least. A bit like the curate's egg really and not a reliable measuring system. However, once they were standardised they made a fine system. Neil, by the way is 6'3" (or 190.5 cm - .5 of a cm short of 2 m).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb , do you have any updates on Bella?

She hasn't been found yet. SSPCA is no help - their local man can only be contacted through their mainland office, which doesn't seem to work at the weekends, the council has a dog warden, who also doesn't work at the weekend, nor does the vet. The police haven't heard anything about a golden lab. We are hoping that someone saw her limping around and took her in but can't report it because everything is closed at the weekend.

I've just put together notices for putting up in the local shop and the pharmacy and Alistair has been asking from house to house (as he delivers mail) if anyone has seen her.

Nothing so far. Poor Bella - she'll be terrified, and we can only hope she hasn't been hurt.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
She has a microchip so, if she is found, a vet should be able to identify her. He should anyway, we only have one vet and he knows her pretty well. If she is found, we will hear pretty shortly, I should think. If we hear nothing soon, it will probably mean that it is bad news. We don't think she could survive very long on her own out on the moor.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mushrooms of all types have been in short supply over the last couple of weeks.

My favourite cartoonist Leunig must be out as well.
284451064_1954728538046689_3142043427282392830_n.jpg

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually got 4 hours sleep last night, which is a lot for me but, having got up about 5.30 am, I just keep on falling asleep again. It is so annoying when I am trying to type - I keep ending up with long lines of letters (eg ddddddddddddddddddddddddd going on for 4 or 5 lines before I realise I have dozed off again with my fingers on the keyboard). BG is fine (around the 6-7 mark), BP is OK for me (153/78), so I don't know what the issue is. Kind of light headed and weak feeling.

No word on Bella yet.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been going through some posts that didn't appear the last few times I've looked (don't know why that happens) where there is mention of Ponds and Ons. I was assuming that they were something like pounds and ounces in their relationship to each other but looking it up on google I see that there are 5 ons to the pond. Now I'm confused! In passing, I also noted that the Dutch used to have florins in their currency - just as we did in the UK but I can't see anything that tells me how much a florin was worth in relation to the guilder. One site indicated that it was the same thing. No wonder Europe decided to change to a decimal currency. UK too, I suppose.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also noted that the Dutch used to have florins in their currency - just as we did in the UK but I can't see anything that tells me how much a florin was worth in relation to the guilder.
I think we never actually had florins (florijnen), although the abbreviation for gulden (guilder) has been fl. until the end, when we switched to the Euro.
there is mention of Ponds and Ons. I was assuming that they were something like pounds and ounces in their relationship to each other but looking it up on google I see that there are 5 ons to the pond. Now I'm confused!
Let's be confused together!

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually got 4 hours sleep last night, which is a lot for me but, having got up about 5.30 am, I just keep on falling asleep again. It is so annoying when I am trying to type - I keep ending up with long lines of letters (eg ddddddddddddddddddddddddd going on for 4 or 5 lines before I realise I have dozed off again with my fingers on the keyboard). BG is fine (around the 6-7 mark), BP is OK for me (153/78), so I don't know what the issue is. Kind of light headed and weak feeling.

No word on Bella yet.
Have I missed an update on Bella?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have I missed an update on Bella?

Not sure what you have seen about Bella - she's Em's golden labrador. She's getting on a bit for a lab and has arthritic back legs so doesn't walk well or far. All 3 dogs got out of the garden on Friday. The 2 younger ones were retrieved on the road leading up to the moor, but there was no sign of Bella. The village was searched, Em's mum and dad went up to the moor calling her name, but there was no sign of her there either. We have put up notices, DIL put it on Facebook, son (a postman) asked at every house he delivered to. But there is no news. We fear for her safety because there are so many dangers out on the moor especially for a not-very-fit and fairly elderly dog.

If she is found, she is identifiable because she has a microchip. The last dog that we know about that went on a walkabout on the moor was a young, healthy pointer. It turned up at Barvas on the other side of the moor (and the other side of the Island) a few days later, but we don't think Bella would have the strength or stamina to do that.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Not sure what you have seen about Bella - she's Em's golden labrador. She's getting on a bit for a lab and has arthritic back legs so doesn't walk well or far. All 3 dogs got out of the garden on Friday. The 2 younger ones were retrieved on the road leading up to the moor, but there was no sign of Bella. The village was searched, Em's mum and dad went up to the moor calling her name, but there was no sign of her there either. We have put up notices, DIL put it on Facebook, son (a postman) asked at every house he delivered to. But there is no news. We fear for her safety because there are so many dangers out on the moor especially for a not-very-fit and fairly elderly dog.

If she is found, she is identifiable because she has a microchip. The last dog that we know about that went on a walkabout on the moor was a young, healthy pointer. It turned up at Barvas on the other side of the moor (and the other side of the Island) a few days later, but we don't think Bella would have the strength or stamina to do that.
I hope your dog is well. I'll also keep crossing fingers for Bella found. Keep us informed

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been getting used to hoping against hope recently - and it turned out not to be a forlorn hope after all, so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an early appointment in the arvo with my GP, as I had to get new scripts as I had started to run out of some of my medications and also getting my flu shot for our 2022 winter.

My GP told me as it is now one year I have been on controlled medications, I have to have a review done by another GP. So I go back again next week after getting a appointment sorted at a time of my choosing.

Talking of winter it starts tomorrow 01.06.22, and it looks rough out towards K'gari (the island previously known as Fraser) where they forecast bad weather for boaties.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Talking of winter it starts tomorrow 01.06.22,
Despite knowing things are the other way around on your side of the globe, it still is a difficult to grasp concept that you're starting winter when we have summer coming up (even though it doesn't really feel like it, it being currently 14 degrees Celsius in my living room and it hasn't been above 15 all day.)

Same goes for the difference in time. Just yesterday I had a zoom meeting with two friends at my 1 am, while they were sipping their morning tea. We had a wonderful time but my mind refused to understand it was the start of the day for them!

I hope the weather stays friendly for you!