What Glucose meter does everyone use?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi GlucoRx HCT, no idea if good or bad, it’s what the nurse gave me, seems to do the job and I love that it also does keytones.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I use Contour and One Touch Verio meters. Contour is supposed to be the most accurate, but my One Touch Verio has always been within 1 or 2 points of my Contour and the One Touch Verio takes a lot less blood! That makes it a go to and a winner in my book!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a Contour Nexr meter that I got free from Ascencia, it is accurate as my other meter a Abbott Freestyle Lite which I pemsioned off as it does not have bluetooth.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I use a caresens pro, as it does ketones as well as bgs and the NZ government likes everyone to use the same brand. (Not unreasonable, when you've got a total population of 5 million.) I originally felt it read a bit higher than my old freestyle lite (sigh, I loved that meter) but honestly it's not significant and it seems quite reliable enough to check my dexcom against.

Reactions: OrsonKartt
D

Deleted member 543160

Started off with a neat little Accu-Chek Nano and a Fast-Clix "pricky tool" , then switched to Bayer meters after getting one free, but still use a Fast-Clix. Currently and long term - my Contour Next meter which I find easy to use and very reliable. I also have a Libre Reader that came as part of an original sensor kit, and is a useful backup in that as well as scanning it also acts as a glucose and ketone test meter using appropriate strips.​

RoughcutAU

Libre Reader here. Assume it is accurate enough. I was alittle curious and did a finger prick test before my last blood test and it was only about .2mmol difference.

D

Deleted member 543160

Libre Reader here. Assume it is accurate enough. I was alittle curious and did a finger prick test before my last blood test and it was only about .2mmol difference.
I don't think I ever actually compared Contour and LIbre finger pricks, but sensor scan results were 1-1.5 points lower on a regular basis.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am one of those that loves to keep things as accurate as possible! I am a Type 1 well controlled and rely on readings for dosing of insulin and sometimes that is small correction doses with my pump. I have the Contour and 2 Verio One Touch meters that I have compared numerous times. The Verio's have always been only .1mmol (1-2 mg) points different than the Contour. And I compared the Contour to an actual lab blood test and it was within ,2mmol (3mg). I have a Libre meter/reader and an Accucheck and they have never been as close, I don't believe they were necessarily way off, I just don't remember and I don't use them at all after testing them a few times. I also like to keep my Dexcom calibrated within .3mmol (5mg) of my Contour/Verio meter at my preferred range.

If you are a type 2 not using insulin for corrections and meal dosing I expect that small differences wouldn't really matter. My husband who was diagnosed with type 2, but stays in the low 40's now and only takes metformin uses an old One Touch meter that is off by more, but for his purposes it's fine, it lets him know if he's high or not when he checks. I've offered him newer meters, but the old one for him serves it's purpose.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got myself the Gluco Navii from Homehealth. Happy with it so far though I’ve nothing to compare it against ;)

Reactions: jjraak

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tee2+
Contour Next One
GlucoRx
Accu chek Mobile with Blue tooth adapter
CareSens Dual
Libre2
Always up for a new gadget me.
I think the contour is probably the most accurate of them.
I aso have a Sino Care Safe Voice somewhere but can't quite remember where I put it.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Libre system here , I know it’s not spot on but it’s reduced my Hb1ac form high 90s + to mid 50s so it’s **** well good enough for me

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Didn’t realise d.a.m.n was a bad word oops **** sorry

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t realise d.a.m.n was a bad word oops **** sorry
It's in all of the religius scriptures so why it's a considered a swear word is beyond me, all of the best preachers of colour in the US of A use "hell and damnation" in sermon rants.

You get the Paradise dam wall built, and the da mn wall has breeched already

To keep on topic Contour has released a new Contour Next meter with a child proof battery compartment covers to comply wih new button battery laws here in Australia as of 01.07.2022.

Edit: Extra info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Love my AccuChek. Current one is a 'guide'.

I also have a CareSens Dual, which does ketones as well if I am experimenting/treating with ketones is good,but very expensive to buy those ketone test strips. Like @EllieM I have a CareSens because that is the brand Aotearoa/NZ has a contract with (S.Korean), and those are the test strips that are partially subsidised. When I returned to my home country they sadly had done the switch from AccuChek to CareSens. CareSens is not so accurate at lower and higher readings,in my extensive testing and comparing experience, but the newer ones are pretty good - they have improved their accuracy I believe. yay.

Still prefer AccuChek though, less painful, needs less blood, much more accurate. And not too much more cost wise than the government subsidised caresens test strips, due to the subsidy being minimal minus the two prescription fees - one to the clinic, one to the pharmacy. Cheers.

Reactions: Marie 2

Tribal61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m using One Drop Chrome and I find it very accurate. It connects via BT to the iOS app and uploads readings and activities. It is made by Agamatrix which also produces both Wavesense and Sanofi glucometers. It also provides strips and lancets and I’m pretty much satisfied with their products.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I use a My Life Pura X and I don’t like it at all!