What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got a look at my recent test results. Not as good as I had hoped. Cholesterol up, Creatinine up, Gfr down, Weight slightly up this week as well.

Must have been slipping without me realising it so must tighten up control - cut carbs even further. Trouble is, the diabetic team keep telling me I should be eating more carbs than I do. I know they are wrong but I still, every so often, think I can just get away with a bit more. Bad me! I'm old enough to know better. Think I may have to go carnivore for a while and not even have the carbs in vegetables. Carnivore is very expensive though.

Not the best month to think about having a more expensive WOE. Neil is currently taking the old dishwasher out of its position so that it is ready to be collected tomorrow and the space ready for the new one to slide into. Turns out that he decided to get the simplest one for me - not the one with the internet connection (why would I want a dishwasher connected to the internet?). It's a Hotpoint and the cheapest by a few pounds of the 3 the shop had in stock. The cost wasn't the selling point though, the simplicity was.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got a look at my recent test results. Not as good as I had hoped. Cholesterol up, Creatinine up, Gfr down, Weight slightly up this week as well.

Must have been slipping without me realising it so must tighten up control - cut carbs even further. Trouble is, the diabetic team keep telling me I should be eating more carbs than I do. I know they are wrong but I still, every so often, think I can just get away with a bit more. Bad me! I'm old enough to know better. Think I may have to go carnivore for a while and not even have the carbs in vegetables. Carnivore is very expensive though.

Not the best month to think about having a more expensive WOE. Neil is currently taking the old dishwasher out of its position so that it is ready to be collected tomorrow and the space ready for the new one to slide into. Turns out that he decided to get the simplest one for me - not the one with the internet connection (why would I want a dishwasher connected to the internet?). It's a Hotpoint and the cheapest by a few pounds of the 3 the shop had in stock. The cost wasn't the selling point though, the simplicity was.
Please thoroughly do your own research before making any such change. We are all unique - N=1 is my mantra, well, copied from David Unwin. Higher protein, lower carb which is what carnivore would bring may not be the best way to tackle those - some would say possibly the worst .Creatinine levels are very volatile - I'm not advocating using those guys. As for Gfr do you have any other CKD markers? To a lay person Carnivore doesn't seem to be the way to go for either of those. Good hydration is cited as a key tool for better management of all of those BUT what do I know, what do I know?. Due diligence @Annb This is worth a read - especially the discussion. Read around and discuss with your Drs.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Please thoroughly do your own research before making any such change. We are all unique - N=1 is my mantra, well copied from David Unwin. Higher protein, lower carb which is what carnivore would bring may not be the best way to tackle those - some would say possibly the worst .Creatinine levels are very volatile - I'm not advocating using those guys. As for Gfr do you have any other CKD markers? To a lay person Carnivore doesn't seem to be the way to go for either of those. Good hydration is cited as a key tool for better management of all of those BUT what do I know, what do I know?. Due diligence @Annb This is worth a read - especially the discussion. Read around and discuss with your Drs.
Thanks Ian. I have only skimmed it so far, but it looks very interesting. I'll have to think this through but one change I know I must make is to ensure that I stay adequately hydrated. I do have an issue with that because I very rarely get thirsty and I forget so don't take on as much fluid as I should. I also wonder about some of the medication I take and will have to try to find out if there are any identified issues there.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

One of the most important dietary aspects for everyone I believe, is what is best for you.
I know you have T2, so yes, less carbs, more protein, better fats, and less processed rubbish. Eating fresh food is always the best choice, but it depends on you.
I could go more into it with you. But you know your body, your tastes, cost, availability etc.
Your FBGs could do with reducing and having fewer spikes will work,
Knowing what works is your knowledge, you know the goodies and baddies. The results are a reminder to behave a bit bette, a warning to do what you know you should.
There are a lot of baddies, I can't have, but I have learned the best way to control my levels with my tailored dietary regime.
Hope you do sort it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
19 years ago today and people complain about VAR :banghead: Ref should definitely have gone to Specsavers. I was ticking that night.
Never in, visual impairment illusion!
VAR is not the answer some people are looking for. They can't agree when it is obvious.
Don't get me going on offside!
(If a player has sized twelve boots and the opponent has size nine? His big toe will be offside!)
Eh?
Why has the final decision on certain decisions been taken away from the only decision maker by the laws?
Why has retrograde decisions not being used?
And lots more.
I'm so glad, we don't have VAR, cos it is full of conflicting decision making processes. And as always seems to favour certain clubs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never in, visual impairment illusion!
VAR is not the answer some people are looking for. They can't agree when it is obvious.
Don't get me going on offside!
(If a player has sized twelve boots and the opponent has size nine? His big toe will be offside!)
Eh?
Why has the final decision on certain decisions been taken away from the only decision maker by the laws?
Why has retrograde decisions not being used?
And lots more.
I'm so glad, we don't have VAR, cos it is full of conflicting decision making processes. And as always seems to favour certain clubs.
Thank you Jurgen or Legohead. (Is Arteta Legohead to anyone but Spurs fans?)

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I thoroughly agree with simplicity @Annb

Cluuur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I got my first sub-6 FBG of 5.9. After being told by my doctor that I wouldn't get it down below 9.5 without metformin, it's taken less than 2 months of diet only, low carb to get to this point. I think my stubbornness might be paying off

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Jurgen or Legohead. (Is Arteta Legohead to anyone but Spurs fans?)
Mr Arteta has more skill and knowledge of footie than the whole of White Hart Lane followers put together, he just hasn't realised you can't actually walk the ball into the net!
And fancy having an Aussie rules manager in charge! He still thinks we need eighteen players!
Back to VAR, what a disgraceful decision that red card was at Selhurst Park tonight?
Typically Jurgen would have dived right through the barrier as someone tapped him.
He could fall over for the fatherland in the Olympics or Prancing on ice!

lindisfel

Expert
I pick up the Octavia this am, they fixed it after 3 hours work too late to go for yesterday so it was locked up all night.
It will be another £330.
This is not getting funny!

The farmer at the back rang me before new year to see how I was.
His farm is adjacent and is a block of about 1 mile by a third of a mile.
He's into butterflies and we got the first speckeld woods when they spread north in our garden and he came rushing down to see them because he hadn't had them on his estate.

He has classic cars and a very good car mechanic works from one of his barns and he will look at my car anytime although he works mainly on classics.

His property is in the picture, it goes over the top of th hill behind the house and the back road goes over the top to reach about 300 feet. On a clear day you can see all the Lakeland hills and Scotland from the Mull of Galloway to Carter Bar.

We were on the top parked looking to see if we could see the Red Arrows going back from Cumbria to Lincoln. Actually they went back via the valley over Keswick.

P turns up in a red immaculate four wheel Morgan, that looked as if it was newly made.

He later sold it to a guy in Yorkshire and it appeared in a TV programme, he thought they were idiots b.t.w. He had it restored.
You can see the hill in my logo. That was once was under the Eden Valley glacier as the southern side turned towards the plane that is the Solway and Irish Sea.

We had a good look at it and he wanted us to have a little drive down the road to get the feel. A nice offer but we are the wrong side of 70 to try out Morgans. Looking is enough.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
To me sci fi, particularly Star Trek was my getaway from real life and the message embedded in the majority of episodes, gave me hope, when the world was imploding around us, believing that there could be better out there, than the poverty, discrimination, hate and war.
I became a trekkie because it was a example of how we should behave to each other, treat each other, live together, work together to achieve the future for our grandchildren.
Science has embraced the ideals.
Pity politics hasn't got even close.
I've always been proud of being a trekkie!

I know nothing of the JW.
They have forgone the right in the eyes some by lack of compassion to be graced by a name that is from God's goodness.
My sister need not have suffered such a lack of care and compasion they had enough money to have their own custom building on their bungalow and get nursining care by a permanent nursing and help for her life but they gave their mioney earlier to the borg,

They all watched her die of neglect and mental support, it was criminal what they did and he knew she had a terrible teen age experience and left school at 14.

She was still physially strong when we saw her just before her demise and was dominant in life to his apparent weakness. I think she started not eating because she knew what they had done to her.
D.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good decision not have yet another prying white good in your house. A cheap way of increasing protein is making dahls - those thick meaty stews made with dried lentils. A glass of water half an hour before a meal both hydrates and helps with appetite. As to the rest - no idea.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I got my first sub-6 FBG of 5.9. After being told by my doctor that I wouldn't get it down below 9.5 without metformin, it's taken less than 2 months of diet only, low carb to get to this point. I think my stubbornness might be paying off
Marvellous result @Cluuur and welcome to this corner of the known forum.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I pick up the Octavia this am, they fixed it after 3 hours work too late to go for yesterday so it was locked up all night.
It will be another £330.
This is not getting funny!

The farmer at the back rang me before new year to see how I was.
His farm is adjacent and is a block of about 1 mile by a third of a mile.
He's into butterflies and we got the first speckeld woods when they spread north in our garden and he came rushing down to see them because he hadn't had them on his estate.

He has classic cars and a very good car mechanic works from one of his barns and he will look at my car anytime although he works mainly on classics.

His property is in the picture, it goes over the top of th hill behind the house and the back road goes over the top to reach about 300 feet. On a clear day you can see all the Lakeland hills and Scotland from the Mull of Galloway to Carter Bar.

We were on the top parked looking to see if we could see the Red Arrows going back from Cumbria to Lincoln. Actually they went back via the valley over Keswick.

P turns up in a red immaculate four wheel Morgan, that looked as if it was newly made.

He later sold it to a guy in Yorkshire and it appeared in a TV programme, he thought they were idiots b.t.w. He had it restored.
You can see the hill in my logo. That was once was under the Eden Valley glacier as the southern side turned towards the plane that is the Solway and Irish Sea.

We had a good look at it and he wanted us to have a little drive down the road to get the feel. A nice offer but we are the wrong side of 70 to try out Morgans. Looking is enough.
Good news that the Octavia is fixed - not so good news on draining the resources. Morgan - I saved for three years to get one and you are so right about trying to get in and out of one of those nowadays.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good decision not have yet another prying white good in your house. A cheap way of increasing protein is making dahls - those thick meaty stews made with dried lentils. A glass of water half an hour before a meal both hydrates and helps with appetite. As to the rest - no idea.
I have always enjoyed dhal and even was one of the only kids in school who like pease pudding but they are also a bit high in carbs. Not off the menu altogether, but an occasional treat. I have a huge container of dhal in the freezer that I made for anticipated guests who had to be quarantined due to Covid. Too much there to take it out to have a little out of it, but I could make some more just for me.