Defatizing info and links 800kcal diet

pixor

I test every day, first thing in the morning. That means i can see if things went awry the previous day, and correct what I am doing. My diabetic nurse has recommended I carry out occasional postprandial testing (just before a meal, then 2 hours after) to see how my diabetic control is improving.

I'd reccomend keeping a food and testing diary so that you can relate your readings to your food.

Good luck!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
kaazoom »
Thanks. I'm not sure Slimfast would be ok in water. Although there is little difference in the consistency of water and skimmed milk, so it may be worth trying. The problem with Optislim is it isn't as easy to get hold of as Slim Fast, and it is twice the price.

Slim-fast is just fine with water I have been using it like that for 6 weeks now
Remember if you are going to follow the study menu allows for NO DARIY PRODUCTS at all
see:
The diet
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Also all the Vit and Min are much the same as org Newcastle mix
Plus the slim-fast only works out at 50p per meal

minn

I started today using slimfast and water- it's fine. My daughter's little battery whisk for hot chocolate helps whizz it up- I think someone else mentioned that in an earlier post.

Sweet enough

bowell said:
As with any other Diet you are advised to have HCP support /Approval

600kcal liquid diet (Optifast)/(slimfast) Plus 200kcal Veg so its really a 800kcal per day diet

Newcastle Study was to try and copy what happed to T2
after Bariatric surgery and The normalisation of plasma glucose
With this diet
Hi I dont mean to be pedantic or anything but the study paper actually reads

"..........individuals with type 2
diabetes started the diet, which consisted of a liquid diet
formula (46.4% carbohydrate, 32.5% protein and 20.1%
fat; vitamins, minerals and trace elements; 2.1 MJ/day
[510 kcal/day]; Optifast; Nestlé Nutrition, Croydon, UK).
This was supplemented with three portions of non-starchy
vegetables such that total energy intake was about 2.5 MJ
(600 kcal)/day."
So its actually around 90 to 100 of non starchy veg at about 510 from liquid diet.
I'm sure as we're all different we could see the same results with slightly more or less calorie intake. If we are actually following teh Newcaastle experiment than I guess we should start with the same terms.

Thanks for all the links. some good reading.

ianpiper

I have been doing this diet (without Optifast) for six weeks and it appears to be working really well. I have been recounting progress (and some menu tips) in my blog at http://skeyn.com/ - check it out if you are curious about it.

Ian.
--

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I don't think that you can buy it online anywhere (other than at horrendous prices through ebay). They only sell it through registered clinics.

We had a look through the ingredients of alternatives such as OptiSlim (from Lloyds Pharmacy), which are much cheaper, and came to the conclusion that they were more or less the same thing.

(of course this is an extreme diet and you probably shouldn't do it without expert medical supervision, etc, etc).

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've bumped this because it has some very useful info and links for people who are considering or have just started a 'Newcastle Study' - type diet.

Where has Bob got to? Anyone know? I miss him.

Viv 8)

D

Deleted member 43917

I've just been reading this thread with interest as I'm already taking 2000mg Metformin and at my last six monthly check I was 9. From what I've seen on individual's threads they don't seem to have had an issue with this - but I did wonder about the sugar/carb content of slimfast.

Carbohydrate (g) per 37.5g serving is 35g
of which sugars (g) per 37.5g serving is 30g

http://www.slimfast.co.uk/products/powd ... oductID=29

Whereas Optislim is:

22g of carbs per serving
20g of sugar per serving

http://www.optislim.com.au/how_it_works/faq.htm

I don't know if I'm being too picky as this is all very new - but just thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has any thoughts on this. As I've only just started cutting down on carbs, I'm not sure what kind of carb content is necessary for health and what level to avoid going over - I'm just trying to go by what reduces my bg.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
One thing to bear in mind is that the carbs per serving figures include the carbohydrate in the 250ml skimmed milk, which contributes 12.5g. You might, as I have, replace the skimmed milk with unsweetened soya milk. I cannot taste the difference once the shakes are made up, but it saves you 12g of carbs per meal - 36g per day.

A downside is that soya milk has a little less protein than skimmed cow's milk - about 3.5g per serving less (10.5g per day). You could, though, make that up in any number of ways, without exceeding the original calory budget. Tesco own brand meal replacement shakes have a total of 26.1g of carbs when made up with 250ml of skimmed milk or 14.1g if made with soya milk. Another option, maybe.

Andrew

Reactions: 3 people

croco

Do you really think that 800 kcal diet is healthy? All doctors say that diets (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/diets-training.html) are not healthy! Such small amount of energy will make body keep the fat instead of burning it.

Defren

croco said:
Do you really think that 800 kcal diet is healthy? All doctors say that diets (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer- ... ining.html) are not healthy! Such small amount of energy will make body keep the fat instead of burning it.

It worked for me, and I had my GP's support, not right at the beginning, but I lost so much weight one week, I decided to tell him, and he made sure all was well for the duration of the diet. I would suggest anyone tries this to defat the internal organs and help the pancreas, but would be more wary if people used it purely for weight loss.

Reactions: 5 people

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Do you really think that 800 kcal diet is healthy? All doctors say that diets (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/diets-training.html) are not healthy! Such small amount of energy will make body keep the fat instead of burning it.
This is so very old now but as a new user of this Diet i would like to say something about the above.
I really do not care what the Doctors say, after all they have to keep the Big Pharmaceuticals running, making millions of pounds each year, now come on you lot why would the Doctors and the pharmaceutical companies want to bite the hand that feeds it, how do you think People managed through illness's before these Pharmaceutics companies came about, they lived off of Real foods, not processed foods.
My blood sugars before going onto this diet were very high, i really do not know how i survived, always in double figures, always changing pills, changing Insulin, But this evening before bed they are 7.2, not been this low since i was diagnosed years ago.
I say become responsible for you, or at least try to regain, your independence after all it is "Your Life".

Jim

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked my GP about it when I was diagnosed and he sneered "who's going to do that?"

Well, quite a few apparantly. The following month he was forced to take early retirement. "The line is", one of the practice GPs told me, "it is due to stress".

Some people just don't want to change whilst others embrace it. "Some people become mentally fossilised", was my response. The GP concerned had been in the same practice his entire working life. I first met him in 1983. We used to call it 'stuck in a rut'.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Hi Yorksman, yep i was mentally Fossilized lol, i found it hard to get my head round anything, so much confusion in the head when blood sugars are to high, and i was there 24/7, no fun, just horrible, but just four days eating better my head feels clear, i feel happier, maybe Placebo effect but Hay Ho i don't care, it is me, i feel younger " would like to say i feel slimmer" but to early for that one.
If i go to my docs appointment and they try to stop me, then i will carry on, i have not felt like this for years and yes after four days.

Jim

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited by a moderator: