how to cure toenail fungus!

milehouse

Hi I am t2 diabetic. I have toenail fungus on at least 3 toenails. I have just tried Boots advanced footcare fungal nail treatment pen. It didn't work. I was wondering if anyone can post a link to a treatment that does work! ? thanks :wink:

Nik442

Hi, they can be difficult to treat. I've had limited success with tea tree oil from H&B but only when I got it underneath the nail but you have to be patient.

Nik

Reactions: Daniela20

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Toenails grow very very slowly, keep at it but it will take a year. They never tell you that though.

kangoo

My practice nurse spotted a fungal nail infection on my big toe. She said there was a pill available but it involved getting a test done on my nail clippings first. In meantime, she referred me to podiatry.

The podiatrist told my surgery to prescribe Loceryl. It comes in a box, with sanding strips, lacquer and wipes. Took a year but it worked!

Unfortunately, fungus has returned because nobody warned me to wear socks with my slippers and to throw out the old slippers that had the fungus in them. Started on loceryl again last month...:cry:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've been to my drs almost 2 weeks ago with the same problem on 1 toe nail. I was prescribed Terbinafine tablets, she said that nothing else will cure it and all the paints etc that you buy do not work! She also said I was being prescribed them as I'm diabetic, if I wasnt I wouldn't be prescribed anything.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

coco4

Hi everyone, what does nail fungus look like? I've noticed what looks like some fine dark grey lines in the nail on one of my big toes. Does anyone know what this could be please? Thanks Carole

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Well the top of my nail had lines going down they weren't grey, it just looked cracked. My nail started to thicken and has gone a brown colour all over. I think I've had it a while as I used to think the lined/cracked part of my nail would grow out. It wasn't till it went brown that I went to my drs.

Reactions: Sapien

milehouse

Hi All .. Thanks for all your input. I thought this would be a common problem amongst Diabetics. My DN when examining my feet just shrugged and said "oh you've got toenail fungus" as if it was the norm! I shall try some tea tree oil as suggested . My nails don't seem to grow very fast so I realise it may be a long job. I would love to have lovely varnished toenails for the summer. My mum always used to say if you don't look after your feet...they won't look after you! Thanks again. :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My Dad had this - he was given medication, and it cleaned them up nicely, with no recurrence.

Creams don't permanently fix it (for most people) but the medication does.

Jovifreak

I've been to my drs almost 2 weeks ago with the same problem on 1 toe nail. I was prescribed Terbinafine tablets, she said that nothing else will cure it and all the paints etc that you buy do not work! She also said I was being prescribed them as I'm diabetic, if I wasnt I wouldn't be prescribed anything.[/QUOTE is it helping?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
A pharmacist can help with fungal nail infections
Speak to a pharmacist if the look of your nail bothers you or it's painful.
They may suggest:
antifungal nail cream – it can take up to 12 months to cure the infection and doesn't always work
nail-softening cream – used for 2 weeks to soften the nail so the infection can be scraped off
The infection is cured when you see healthy nail growing back at the base."

"
Treatment from a GP
Your GP can prescribe antifungal tablets. You'll need to take these every day for up to 6 months.
Tablets can have side effects including:
headaches
itching
loss of taste
diarrhoea
You can't take antifungal tablets if you're pregnant or have certain conditions. They can damage your liver.
Badly infected nails sometimes need to be removed. It's a small procedure done while the area is numbed (under local anaesthetic).
Other treatment
Laser treatment uses laser to destroy the fungus.
You'll have to pay for it as it's not covered by the NHS. It can be expensive. There's little evidence to show it's a long-term cure as most studies only follow patients for 3 months."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fungal-nail-infection/

D

Deleted member 308541

Tea tree oil my podiatrist gave me, worked for me when I had a fungusi bib toenail a couple of years.

I know this is a six years old thread, but like to put a cure in if it worked for me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Nothing wrong with a nostalgic thread or a good old blast from the past and people still get infections.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Try Tee Tree oil as it does help. Virtually all of the branded stuff is useless as my nurse confirmed. She rightly suggested TT Oil.

Hi friend,

As I have seen that you are suffering from toenail fungus, but not getting the proper solution to cure it. Firstly, I would like say that don’t you need to worry about. Recently one of my friends has also been suffered with such white toenail fungus issue. At that time, I have suggested her some of the effective home treatments. Her problem of white spots on toenail fungus get cured very soon. I think you should also try the following home remedies. As this may help you to cure toenail fungus.

· Vinegar-Mix one part of vinegar to two arts of warm water and soak your toenail in it for 20 min.

· Garlic- Placed the chopped garlic in the affected area and leave as it is for 30 min daily

· Olive leaf extract- You can directly apply the olive leaves in the affected area.

· Oregano oil- Apply the oregano oil with the help of cotton swab on the affected area twice a day.

I hope, after trying out the given home remedies, you may get rid of toenail fungus. For more information, you can go through the below link.

Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over 50 years ago now the lab technician had terrible feet and was advised to put all his socks and footwear into the newly made up formalin tank for an hour or so and then wash them thoroughly afterwards. The fungus was in everything, and it took three goes but it worked. Of course these days people can afford to dispose of and renew all their socks shoes etc. but using the treatment without getting rid of sources of reinfection would be sensible. The formalin tank held a 10 percent formaldehyde solution, and is probably not allowed these days under health and safety rules.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am t2 diabetic. I have toenail fungus on at least 3 toenails. I have just tried Boots advanced footcare fungal nail treatment pen. It didn't work. I was wondering if anyone can post a link to a treatment that does work! ? thanks :wink:

In addition to the things suggested above, you can use Canesten cream (Tesco own brand much cheaper) or pain the nails with cheap nail polish which seems to smother it. That cleared up my daughter’s nail fungus.