Share Your Progress!

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Just had my first 3 month HbA1c results from the Dn nurse today, I even got a kiss on the cheek from the lovely woman ( don't tell the wife). Diagnosed on the 15th July with 60 Ifcc, today was 30 ( not sure of the % still trying to get my head around it all), anyway in July I weighed 122 kg today was 99kg, the nurse was overjoyed and even talked about reversal of our collective diseases however I look at it as controlled.

I'm 45 but today I was like a little kid waiting in reception at the doc for my results ( I'm so sad as my kids would say). I have simply done this by following the Low carb diet and controlling calories and my exercise is walking/dragging/ jogging my body around 3 miles each day, more if I can.

The reason I've posted, is to share what's worked for me as I've never been one to celebrate me, I've always just got on with life's hurdles and have a few more to jump over yet, however I have to thank all the guys/ girls on this forum, you're the real people who have given me the support, advice the laughs, the difference of opinions, who have helped me from day one.

From the scientific threads, inspirational threads, sugar free threads and real life struggles, from the bottom of my heart I THANK YOU ALL for this forum and thank you all the real people.

Time for a beer and jelly!!!!

Kind regards

Andy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Good morning everyone :D

I was diagnosed just before christmas and was absolutely gutted, I really struggled at first to adjust, but have just had my latest HbA1c and it's down again from 6.8 to a nice round 6! My GP has even told me I only need to test my levels if I'm going to drive for over an hour at a time. so no horrible sticky in things ( Have needle phobia and was srtuggling on this point ) :clap:

Still think I can do better. I am 1.5 Lbs off dropping my second stone in weight, and am looking good! :thumbup:

I have taken up walking with a local group called the Phoenix Striders and have got it up to 3.17 miles on Thurs eve. I'm enjoying it so much my husband is going to join us this week. (He's also lost over a stone as he's eating the same diet as me and getting sweeteners in his coffee and he hasn't even noticed!!)

And it all boils down to this Forum... It shows how to make the adjustments ness without any dire threats, just good sound advice from the people who have already been there. So there's no need to panic.

Thank you all for your support.

Tracey

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Well done to all of the success stories so far, it feels good when you get good news/results like these. I got my results on 16th October the first test since diagnosis. So far I have gone from an Hba1c of 62 back in July to 42 last week. I have gone from 186 lbs down to 158 lbs as of last week, gone from 36in waist to 32 inch waist as of this week.

I have a review with the doctor on Nov 28th to go over all of my results etc. I still have a way to go as I am a short guy but positive comments have been made from folk I haven't seen for a few months.

Once again congratulations to all the folk with good results and a heart felt thank you to the good kind folk of this fiorum for all of the help and understanding they have shown.

Mark

djp48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Snakes
Hi Everyone, just had to share, So excited......!! I live in UK and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1954 3 days after my 6th birthday, until now I have injected myself every day, and, as a rough total have had over 15,000 shots...............Now I am going to have a pump ...........Can you imagine how exciting that is, seems almost unreal but have been promised that by the first week in January it will be mine....What a fab New Year present.

K

Kat100

Congratulations to you all, big well done....

I am having my 1st end of year review and hba1c in dec..

Diagnosed last November with a reading of 19 I was very unwell, last two readings were 6.5 ......

Weight 3 stone lighter nearly back at my normal weight, couldn't understand the weight gain before ....I walked I
Am a veggie, now I know it was the hidden white stuff...

It's good the have this thread to see how far we have all come.....thanks for sharing

smartie69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi
My diabetes and cholestrol results were down to 4.6 from 7.3, and i have been going to a life style adviser for help, and when i went to them, i was 16 stone 9 pounds, i am now 13 stones 7 pounds, which have really helped me, as i also had a heart attack.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now down to 10 stone 5lb 8oz / 66Kg. Height 5" 5' / 166 cm.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Reading in mid June was 48mmol... Whatever the other number thingy is and my recent blood test revealed 44mmol.

I am going to keep low carbing and try to shift some weight which has stubbonly stayed at 15 stone.

I am allergic to exercise,....

Many thanks to this fine forum and all who are on it without which I wouldn't have managed to do this....

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed to eat rice yesterday and got my dosage right for the first time - no horrible spike :cool:

And my GP practice nurse was very pleased with my last HbA1c of 40.

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
I started my new eating plan on Jan 2nd with BG readings of anywhere between 12 - 24. Two weeks on, have lost 9lbs and my levels are now between 3.4 and 7.6. I am having hypos but usually feel the signs early and rectify, then its a case of dropping my Insulin. :D

I still cannot understand why, when I know how to do it, its taken me so long to get back to this way of eating. :mad: Anyway, onwards and downwards.
Chris

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Today my 1AC has gone down to 7%, down from 8.3% which it was at in October last year. All thanks to my new diabetic team and y pump, I am over the moon :).

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Wow!

HbA1c July 2013 76
Sep 2013 73
Nov 2013 56
and today....ta da....39!
So so happy folks, so was the doctor. he said wow that's normal!
My cholesterol is good too, my ratio is great but I only have my HDL results which today was 2.3.

These results are super but I wouldn't have had a cat in hell's chance without all of you. The advice and shared experiences on here have helped me normalize my life to a certain extent so thank you all from the bottom of my heart :joyful:

No more fasting tests for me for a while so it's on with the weight loss. It's taken me around 6 years to lose about 30 kgs but I reckon the longer it takes the more permanent the loss will be! I still have about 20 kgs to go and it can only get better.

I suppose it sounds peculiar to say Thank You to my diabetes.....yes, I know it does but it changed my life for the better and for the first time in my life I am beginning to FEEL normal :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Hi

I was diagnosed July 2013, T2 on metformin.

I've been trying to lose weight unsuccessfully for years. When I was diagnosed I was in a size 20 clothes, just been out to buy a new pair of jeans & am now a size 16. Well chuffed.

I've even found I even enjoy exercise :) I run 2 or 3 times a week & am on the exercise bike every day, plus taking part in the pedometer challenge.

Thanks must go to all those who've offered support on here, even if my questions did seem stupid, nobody laughed & just pointed me in the right direction.

:D:D:D:D:D

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

Reactions: 4 people

viv53

Hey everyone!

We're really curious to know how everyone's gotten on this year. Have you managed to lower your HbA1c? Maybe you've shed a few pounds and are feeling proud of yourself! Whatever you've managed this year, we want to know about it!
Hi
Since being diagnosed with T2 at the end of last year, I have started a programme of exercise and low GL diet. I am really chuffed with myself as I have lost 4.5kilos since January and things are stable at present. So things are going well at present for me.

Reactions: 2 people

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I've got Asbestos plagues on my lungs, so 200 metres is a bit of a challenge and hills very hard. I get chest pains but it's the lungs, heart is good.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Hi
Since being diagnosed with T2 at the end of last year, I have started a programme of exercise and low GL diet. I am really chuffed with myself as I have lost 4.5kilos since January and things are stable at present. So things are going well at present for me.

Wonderful progress Viv, that's a huge amount to lose so onward and upward for you! Keep it up :happy:

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Cruelty

I've got Asbestos plagues on my lungs, so 200 metres is a bit of a challenge and hills very hard. I get chest pains but it's the lungs, heart is good.

Exercise is a bummer when it's so hard isn't it? Tried swimming? It's a gentler way of exercising even if you just use one of those weight belts and paddle around. Good Luck :)