Share Your Progress!

C

chris lowe

Went to diabetic nurse today and she said my bs control was very good Hab1c is now 6.3 was 6.5 last time and 7.5 time before so I must be doing something right. She said I'd done well considering it was just after Christmas. Only thing is as I'm doing well she said she would see me in a year but did say that if I wanted a blood test in 6 months it would be ok or if I had any symptoms to make an appointment. I think that the weight loss has made a big difference (hubby says I no longer snore either!) :thumbup:

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Well don Chris :)

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

brenjo

I have a cousin who suffered diabetes type 2 for a year now and last november her doctor told that she need Dialysis which she does not want to,I came home here in the Philippines last november and found out that she has a type 2 Diabetes,I gave her a food supplement and she's not taking it as I told her how to drink but finally I forced her to take the capsule and try it for a week at first she stop taking it because she always go to the toilet and sometimes vommiting but the only came out from her mouth is saliva and it's sticky,after consuming 2 box of the said supplement she feel energized and the wound in her feet is now healed this is a miracle,before she spent thousand of pesos for her Drugs now her doktor reduce the drugs that he prescribed to her.

HelenM 1955

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have been diagnosed for 3 months. hba1c has gone from 8.5 to 6.5 and have gone from 3 metformin a day to 2. Feel very pleased with myself

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hi, 1 month in from diagnosis T2. I have lost 15lbs. bs around 5s &6s although I had my 1st 4 today well 4.9 but thats best its been so it's good.
Doing low carb diet, have to say as a carboholic I still have my lunch time sarny although I switched to wholemeal bread and cut out butter. lots of meat and salad on it.
Dinner consists of meat n veggies lots of veggies. although I'm dissapointed that carrots are off the menu. ( I have a small portion once a week.)
Have lots more energy, just wish I could go to the gym. but thats out just now. I have crumbling knees quite bad going to see orthopaedic surgeon on 5th march. hoping to get a new set of knees. other health issues too stop me going. not just lazy looking for excuses.

Now while this doesn't sound much of a success it's a major one for me.
I'm happy as the proverbial pig in muck :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done, Vonbon! keep at it.

Just one word - don't cut out the butter from your sandwich. It helps slow down the metabolising of the bread, so you don't spike quite as high or quickly. My occasional sandwiches consist of butter and mayonnaise with a little chicken salad - on wholemeal. :lol:

Good luck with the knees.

Viv 8)

mimo

Not getting on too well so far this year. Last year did really well. Lost weight, found a great eating routine and felt better than it had done in a while.. Then went on to anti depressants and since then things have been tricky. Have felt quite on my own with it to as no one I know understands how T2 can affect you. Am trying to find the inner strength to get back to it but its a struggle.

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as from the 13th of march i am Metformin free
Ramipril is next i hope
cheers guys

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Hi, 5.7% on diet only.
Controlled carb of 50 - 100 gms per day.
Weight absolutely stable (rats). BMI 28.
Over the moon actually :)

jperry

Hello I have been diagnosed T1 for 22 years. Last hba1c was 67 (8.3 in old money). Just finished an IDAC course (like DAFNE but over 4 weeks) and have lost 8lbs since I started it. Hoping to put a serious dent in the next hba1c due in August. Well done everyone! :grin:

Mrs Taz

I went for my last educational lesson yesterday.
I've lost one and a half stone,I intend to carry on trying to lose weight.

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mrstaz @jperry @spendercat well done !
@michealD got my Hba1c this week 45 so still on metformin but working towards sufficient control to come off it. Am delighted with myself, getting things under control.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Don't give up hope! 2 years ago as a type 2 diabetic on 10 tablets a day for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I joined WeightWatchers. Now I am 5 stones lighter, my diabetes has gone, no more meds my body can do it for itself, my blood presure is so nearly normal that I might be able to come off my last remaining bp pill, my only other pill I take, just 2 pills now not 10, is for some other problem that might get put right. The cholesterol is just about right so I came off my statin too. When I was diagnosed with diabetes 8 years ago I was told the meds would be for life. I am not cured as such, I just don't have diabetes. But it might come back if I don't watch what I eat. I go for lots of walks with a friend, not too hilly though, I have bad arthitis. I left WeightWatchers after I had lost 2 stones. I knew by then that I was in the right mind-set to go it alone. I did pop back last year to let them know that my diabetes had gone but I don't think it sunk in, people don't get over diabetes, do they? They do! When my db nurse told me last year that it had gone she said 'do you know what you've done?' I of course said yes, but I didn't really realise for nearly a week when her words flashed into my mind when I was painting a wall. I stopped and went cold for a while as it did eventually hit me. I now tell as many people as I can, I am not preaching, I hope!, I just want to get the message across to those who may have the illness or may know someone who does. Don't give up hope :thumbup:
Lee

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 - Metformin 1000/day.
Tried low carbing to control BS - had no effect. But I have lost 8.8kg!
Given up testing BS now but continuing low-carbing to lose weight.

tiamai

Hi,
Just want to share with all you guys my good news. :D
I'm off the Metformin for good just diet controlled now!!!! :lol:
My last two HB's have come back at 5.8 and 5.6 i'm over the moon about it. :clap:
I low carb and weight come down by two stones all thanks to you guys and your support on this site. :thumbup:

I will stay with site as if I go off rails I can look up any thing for advice.

Thanks again

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Lost 33lbs. HbA1c 44. not bad at all diet controlled with low carb diet. :D

L

Luna21

I would like to thank everyone on here for the support, inspiration and sensible advice about diabetes, since I was diagnosed :clap:
The help on here has been invaluable to me.

I had my 3 month check meeting with my diabetes nurse today, and she is very pleased with my progress so far. :angel:

I have lost 26 lbs since the beginning of February, my Hba1c was 62, now its 48, though I think I would prefer it lower if I can, and my cholesterol has dropped from 5.9 to 3.4!
I'm not on any medication for diabetes though I do take statins now, and I'm having no problems with them at all.

She seemed surprised that I had been using a blood glucose monitor, as they won't issue them for type 2's in my region, but admitted that if it works for me, I should carry on what I'm doing.

I have been relatively low-carbing and when I do eat carbs it is only the better ones, no sweet stuff at all, and I've managed to get myself a little fitter, bit by bit by walking, so I now do at least 1/2 hour a day. I also have been watching my calorie intake, so it has been difficult to choose the right things to eat. I don't do a high fat diet, as I'm really not convinced that a high fat diet is good for you long term. However that's a personal choice and each to their own.

I admit it hasn't been easy at times, but I'm so glad I found this forum, as I would have been struggling to understand diabetes. My nurse is very nice, but I do wonder how much training they actually get, as to be honest, I feel I'm more informed than she is with some things.
She is very unhappy that my Desmond course isn't until May....she admits that work needs to be done to get everyone on a course within 6 weeks, and also admits that it probably won't be of much use to me now. I shall still attend, as your GP is informed if you don't........maybe that's to encourage folks to actually learn about diabetes and do something to help themselves, particularly if they are not self motivated?

The next target to meet is a lower HbA1c. Can anyone tell me the ideal figure to aim for? Then, I need to make sure that I don't backtrack now that I'm feeling happier about things. That's the test, isn't it?

So again, thank you everyone who takes the time to answer questions etc. :D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i wanted to wait until my a1c for this post because im pretty much always in between 3 to 5 bg so i know itll be good, i was diag on the 9th of february with bg of 24.9 my bp was 250/125, since then after thinking i was going to die at any minute i have gone low carb, it seems very hard at first but have slowly gone lower and lower, i gave up rice pasta potatoes straight away and now have stopped all bread, i ate like 10 takeaways +. per week then pure junk food in between, i have given up all that now i eat really healthy and go to the gym alot, at the gym which was very alien enviroment for me i couldnt jog at all really now im on the treadmill for 40 minutes, the best bit is 3 years ago i was 19 stone and in feb i was 17 stone, today i am 14 stone, the last 5lb took ages, my bmi is 25.2 im hoping to get it to 24

my bg is 4-5 i reckon
my bp is 125/70
weightloss 3+ stone

and i attribute it to
5% effort by me
95% this forum

im stoked , thankyou all from the bottom of my heart

Andy

Maitland

Blood tests came back on the 15th April that clearly showed I was type 2 diabetic. My Doctors appointment was on the 26th April where I was officially diagnosed.

As of this morning I am 21 pounds lighter. My average fasting blood sugars over the last month have been 5.3 and average blood sugars 2 hours after a meal have been 6.2.

I am not going to make any judgement about how I am doing until my next visit with my DN but I am quite pleased about how things are going.

M...