confused with newly started Newcastle Diet after just one day lol.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
One of my main problems is exercise, i also have unstable Angina, which comes on at any time with or without exertion, but is more frequent with exercise, this is why i wanted to try the meal replacement diet such as the ND Douglas and Cara.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I compared I serving to another i.e meal replacement for meal replacement.
It's the carbs I noted

The Slim and Save diet I did was very similar to the Newcastle Diet, I just used a different brand of shakes. It is 3 or 4 meal replacements and a low carb vegetable based meal.
It was a low calorie short sharp shock.

In the research on the Newcastle University website Professor Taylor states that is is the significant weight loss that helps more than the speed of the loss and that when the fat that has been stored on your pancreas and liver is used up that is what gives your body a fighting chance of remission/recovery/reversal

It worked wonders for me!

Cara

I changed my diet, about 900 to 1200 calories over summer, (mainly salads), and around 1500 now, lost 4 stone, and I agree in the difference. I will probably try the Newcastle diet over the coming summer, for either the 8 weeks, or until I look too thin to be healthy, as I'm starting to go that way now.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One of my main problems is exercise, i also have unstable Angina, which comes on at any time with or without exertion, but is more frequent with exercise, this is why i wanted to try the meal replacement diet such as the ND Douglas and Cara.

Any low calorie diet would do that.
Are there any types of food you don't eat due to the angina?
Or do eat for that matter?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you are on the low cal diet you are advised against anything except gentle exercise, so I wouldn't worry too much it will only be for a few weeks.Once you have seen how you get on with he diet you can have a rethink

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cara any advise on what shakes in that slim and save store, i would rather use the shakes because i feel solids would just make me want more.
Douglas, i can have Brussels in moderation, mainly green veges are not good because of the Warferin i am on is affected by something that is in all green veg, thins the blood and causes problems with the Anticoagulant. Nothing with Cranberries either.
But as said want to go meal replacement shake route because solids would be a struggle as i would just crave more Bulk, but the shakes are fine.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The point about the diet used in the Counterpoint Study is weight loss. It is a hypocalorific diet designed to mimick bariatric surgery. The aim is to lose weight by restricting calorie intake to 600/800 kcals per day. It is not about restricting carbohydrate intake.

By effectively starving the body, it is forced to use its own fatty acids to create glucogen. The first stores to be used in this way are thought to start in the liver and pancreas. Any fluctuations in BG levels in the first few days are likely glucogen produced in the body, via a process known as gluconeogenesis, literally glucose new creation.

"The production of glucose from glucogenic amino acids involves these amino acids' being converted to alpha keto acids and then to glucose, with both processes occurring in the liver. This mechanism predominates during catabolysis, rising as fasting and starvation increase in severity." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis)

At this very early stage, Day 1, you are not producing any more insulin. If you read the Counterpoint Study and look at the graphs, sticking to the diet should result in a normalisation of fasting blood glucose levels after a week or so but it still takes about eight weeks, along with a substantial weight loss, for the insulin response to return to the normal range. Test this time next week, not after day 1.

Reactions: 8 people

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Yorksman, the reason i am testing so frequently is because i have been asked to keep a record because of the change in frequency of taking changed insulin.

Jim

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Jim

There is a taster pack available on the Slim and Save site 28 things for £28 including a free shaker/ mixer cup. It's a bit like a lucky dip so they post you their choices. They are very helpful though, for example I don't like mint or coffee so I asked not to have them included. So although I couldn't choose I didn't get anything I knew I wouldn't try.
The staff are helpful too, so you could give them a ring. The meals are just add boiling water and are more like a sauce and only a few spoon fulls so it's not really a 'proper' meal. I wasn't keen on the ones I tried but they would be ok on veg I think

My favourites were the caramel and the hazelnut shakes but these are things I like anyway. My least favourite was red fruits but they were all fine. I used the shaker with very cold water and some ice
The crispy chocolate had bits in it, so it was like cocoa pops.
I liked the soups except tomato ( and I usually like tomatoey things)

As I said before, not the cheapest of meal replacements but a good variety which on a strict diet is very useful

They also have an Ebay outlet which is good value and some people who have tried the diet and given up sell their unused things on there too.

Do yo have much weight to lose?

Cara

craigieboy001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started using the atkins meal replacement shakes, a tin cost me £10 online and lasts for 10 "meals" my sugar levels have been all over the place so I'm hoping to drag my sugar levels down kicking and screaming as they are averaging around 17 at the moment

2g of carbs per "meal" which consists of 2 scoops, high in protein too and just under 200 cals

Last edited by a moderator:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The problem with the Atkins shakes is that they dont have any vitamins added

Andrew26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Guys and Girls.
I started the Diet yesterday, been awakening in the mornings with 27 blood sugars feeling like hell, so as said started yesterday and monitored through the day and blood sugars going down all day, this morning i awake do a test and although not great it was down to 11.2 before breakfast Shake, done a test three hours later and was very disappointment it is up to 20.2, is this normal, i did not take metformin, should i have taken it, as said "Well confused".
Thanks
Jim
I've been doing a variation of the Newcastle diet for just over 2 weeks now. I've been using Asda shakes, as they are cheap, and making them up with skimmed milk. I've also continued to have milk (skimmed) in my coffee, but no sugar now. I'm losing about three quarters of pound per day so very happy! My morning blood sugar has gone down from >8 to low 5s.

I'm still taking Metformin, and it has really helped as I find it supresses my appetite massively. I only have to deal with mental cravings rather than physical cravings. I have done long juicing fasting diets in the past and I'm finding this much easier to do. I do often avoid the vegetables though as I find they trigger my hunger. I'll also probably reduce the Metformin if my levels go much lower.

So, I'm certainly not following the diet it to the letter, I'm doing something I know can cope with and sustain. At the end of the day, I think the diet is mainly about weight loss, not trying to reproduce a magic formula. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I'm certainly not following the diet it to the letter, I'm doing something I know can cope with and sustain. At the end of the day, I think the diet is mainly about weight loss, not trying to reproduce a magic formula. Good luck!

The essential point of the diet is to achieve a substantial weight loss. How long this takes is much less important. The data from the Counterpoint Study showed that controlling the food intake has a relatively quick effect on blood glucose levels and, after two weeks, you can see that for yourself. However, the 8 weeks in the study were needed to normalise the insulin response. It takes longer to unclog the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas to allow the beta cells to function. So, you have to firstly get BG levels under control and then secondly, lose lots of weight. The danger is that people give up too early, especially given the NHS advice. This is what Taylor says:

"The extent of weight loss required to reverse type 2 diabetes is much greater than conventionally advised. A clear distinction must be made between weight loss that improves glucose control but leaves blood glucose levels abnormal and weight loss of sufficient degree to normalize pancreatic function. The Belfast diet study provides an example of moderate weight loss leading to reasonably controlled, yet persistent diabetes. This study showed that a mean weight loss of 11 kg decreased fasting blood glucose levels from 10.4 to 7.0 mmol/L but that this abnormal level presaged the all-too-familiar deterioration of control."

Reactions: 2 people

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry not got back, i have just got back from my daughters. right i have had my last meal of the day at Daughters and yes it was coley Mash, luckily i do like it, so i gets back home and done my levels and i cannot believe it, they are down to 9.9, but i have a problem, now i don't know whether i should take my insulin (Type2 Diabetes) i have appointment with Dietetics Nurse on Monday, and i must admit now i feel good, yes i feel Human again.
So for now i am going to stick with the Tesco stuff because something is going right lol, but don't feel i am not grateful for everyone's input, because i am very grateful.
What i am afraid of though is when i mention the diet that she will shrug it off as just a fad, if she does not then i will try to get "Optifast" on prescription, apparently the one used in the Newcastle diet, "Optifast 800" is only available on prescription in the UK, the whole medical thing is about making me as well as is possible isn't it, or is it not beneficial to the Surgery or the pharmaceutical companies to set me free from their Drugs.
Jim

Andrew26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
However, the 8 weeks in the study were needed to normalise the insulin response. It takes longer to unclog the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas to allow the beta cells to function. So, you have to firstly get BG levels under control and then secondly, lose lots of weight. The danger is that people give up too early, especially given the NHS advice.

Thanks for the reminder. It's given me fresh motivation to complete the whole 8 weeks! I think after completing the 8 weeks I should just about be within my normal BMI range, so it's good whatever happens.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well i woke this morning took Blood sugars at 0.800 and still dropping, before the Tesco shake they are at 9.9 so although feeling tired, feel like the me i once was if you know what i mean.

Jim

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Glad it's going well.
Noticed you said you had cheese on the cauli?
Massive amount of calories from the fat, it's about 400 calories in 100g, so even a very small amount could push the day up.
Newcastle diet tends to be fat free for that reason. Normally just non starchy vegetables.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OK Douglas that's that out then, just tried to make the cauli mash a bit more interesting lol. had low fat cheese slice broken on top.

Jim

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Douglas and good morning. Yesterday you asked what i could and could not eat with my treatment for Angina, and taking of Warfarin, below will explain better than i could.

Warfarin is a blood-thinning medication that helps treat and prevent blood clots. There is no specific warfarin (Coumadin) diet. However, certain foods and beverages can make it so warfarin doesn't effectively prevent blood clots. It's important to pay attention to what you eat while taking warfarin.

One nutrient that can lessen warfarin's effectiveness is vitamin K. It's important to be consistent in how much vitamin K you get daily. The average daily allowance of vitamin K for adult men is 120 micrograms (mcg). For adult women, it's 90 mcg. While eating small amounts of foods that are rich in vitamin K shouldn't cause a problem, avoid eating or drinking large amounts of:

• Kale
  • Spinach
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Parsley
  • Collard greens
  • Mustard greens
  • Chard
  • Green tea
Certain drinks can increase the effect of warfarin, leading to bleeding problems. Avoid or drink only small amounts of these drinks when taking warfarin:

• Cranberry juice
  • Alcohol

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might want to compare any shakes with the profile of the Optifast shakes. The ones used in the experiment contained 46.4% carbohydrate, 32.5% protein and 20.1% fat; vitamins, minerals and trace elements; [510 kcal/day] Each shake contained 170 calories, 20g carb, 14g protein and 3.7g fat. They also contained a complement of vitamins and minerals (that's important; some of the shakes don't contain these) There is a full breakdown of their vit/mineral content here
http://www.clinicalnutritioncenter....2011/11/Optifast_800_Nutrition_info_final.pdf:
. The rest of the calorie intake was made up by vegetables. (no dairy, in preparation)
This is the 'official' diet sheet.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Your mention of insulin raises a lot of questions in my mind about monitoring and adjusting insulin (and indeed any other medications you are using for your angina).
In the original trial, people on insulin (and also people treated thiazolidinediones, steroids or beta-blockers, or if they had a serum creatinine >150 mmol/l were excluded. So there is no evidence from this group. It depends on the type of insulin regime you are using ( do you use mixed one? a long term basal ?) How often do you check your glucose levels? . It is something that you really should be discussing with someone who understands both insulin use and your medical history and the use of a very low calorie diet.
This was written for doctors
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Informationfordoctors_revised.pdf
Note what it says about having a plan about contacting a doc if your glucose levels become high and rise above 10mmol/l fasting (9.9mmol/l is very nearly 10mmol/l) or fall low

Reactions: 2 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with phoenix,above.

also must add I do believe rhubarb has a high level of vit k.