I am SO sick of peoples attitude towards people who claim any type of benefit.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with the degree and I do hope you find suitable work, try not to get too disheartened.

Reactions: 2 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
My daughter had very little help with her dyslexia until uni but at risk of me seeming like a grabber have you been given a computer the uni organised it all she had a printer aswell I think it was supplied by the council or education it all came a little late for her but if not ask about it as I know students have very little money and it can certainly help however as it was a few years ago the cut backs may have put a stop to it but its worth an ask

I do have a computer thanks to what is known as DSA, this is for students with learning difficulties. they help assess you and give you the equipment you need to use while you are at Uni, if you finish your course you are allowed to keep what they give you to help you as you go onto work.

but more importantly for me was the help they provide. you are assigned a learning support teacher which they pay for you so you have someone to go to when you need the help :)

with DSA you are allot a certain amount of money to help you with equipment and support (which they organise for you) so it all comes out of that grant. as I was doing a degree I didn't have any problems with applying. they were really nice, they were helpful, they knew what I could and couldn't do and they never got impatient or cross or frustrated with me. I was treated with respect which was really nice :)

I have a voice recorder. iMac and printer with an allotted amount of printer and book money because my short term memory is VERY bad so it takes me longer to read and remember things. I also have a great program called Dragon DICTATE, i love it ;) as well as a few other programs like mind view and read and write 5 which is awesome, it lets you highlight text on the web and it reads it back to you XD

DSA was the least stressful thing to organised!

NEVER speak to me about student finance, NEVER! *shudders* there evil, pure, undiluted evil.

the system isn't designed to help, it's designed to make it hard to receive help in order to put off fraudsters and cheats. so where does that leave people like myself? up the creek without any help, even my jobcentre adviser is losing hope with the system.

did you know that less than 2% of claims over all are fraudulent? and it is costing the taxpayer over £75 million pounds threw appeals that are usually overturned in favour of the appealing party because there assessment stated them as fit to work when in fact it's darn obvious they are not. there is so much more to this than people know, it's scary!

if you know the loopholes, the system or have a good head on your shoulders than you may be one of the lucky few who don't have any problems or issues but overall that just isn't the case!

Its blooming annoying and just sad now.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
To l think Dawn this government is no worse than any other they are all as bad as each other and will continue to be.

Pixie my hub is dyslexic they only discovered it when he wanted to go to uni, through his life has just had a lot of abuse for being thick from teachers. He found out he was dyslexic and despite that got all he needed to get onto the course then passed his degree.

Every so often he has tried to "pull" the l can't do that l am dyslexic card but he is out of luck with me, l made it clear he is not stupid is in fact very intelligent, he has a problem he has proved he can overcome despite huge odds so quit saying I can't do it l am dyslexic. If you can not do it one way work out another way to do it and you will do. It works and he is chuffed when he works it out...l think at times he says it to wind me up o_O:banghead:

Reactions: 5 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
I don't use it as an excuse, in fact I already put up about getting the help and doing well! There are some things I I cant so, I sure as hell don't use it as an excuse, there are things I can do and things I can't! And spelling and gramma is one of this things! It will never get better! No two dyslexics are alike, everyone is different! I'm very open about it because I'm not ashamed of it anyone. Better to say I need help than to struggle on!

I don't use it as an excuse thanks, I just don't see why I should be hide it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my own personal experience with benefits is everyone i have ever known to claim benefits...

my sister (always signed)
my brother in law (always signed)
her eldest daughter ( 1st kid at 16 second at 18 never worked, has a house etc etc)
my fishing partner (disability cant work but can sit with me for 4 days and nights on a damp lake living in a tent and lumping it all to and from the swim)
my wifes sister and husband (signing and working)
my mums step family (should be tv program made about the whole family...incredible, big tvs 2 holidays a year etc etc)

i grew up in a tower block on a housing estate and benefits were common and i never once knew 1 single person that deserved or needed what they got. im not saying there arent people that need help, if they need it they should get it but its not a god given right, if you get help you should remember that people like me that have worked their whole lives and scrimped and scraped to make ends meet pay for what is given out

ps: if i shouldnt name people because its traceable through my user name and they could get into trouble GOOD

oh and i vote conservative

Reactions: 7 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I know when to say you are right you have a problem but a lot l have put it down to his past experience of comments about thick means no self confidence it has all been ripped out.

He had trouble getting a job in what he wanted...health and safety... he marries me the most unhealthy and safety rule person l know.
l said stuff it you can cook and love it do your own thing. So now he has a small business selling biscuits and cakes. At the start l kept the work diary and paperwork for him as he could... "never do business paperwork, l am dyslexic" Then when he settled in confidence on the biscuit icing l said right take over the work diary and told him what to do.
Then moved onto batch numbers. I worked out a code for him and check every so often and it is going well. Have done the same for everyday accounts...l do the main ones as l have a ltd company l added him to and the books come under that but he keeps the "home ones" so he can see where he is spending money or taking it in etc.

He can't drive said no my dyslexia.....I said well you have to deliver them round the industrial estates so l got him an electric bike and trailer.
Went out with him a lot at the start went over road safety and gradually built things up. Try take his bike off him now he will guard it like a tiger loves it to bits gives him lot of freedom and has built his confidence right up.He won't ever drive but it doesn't matter he can get about, loves it and has now got lots of confidence. That's what l mean about making excuses and lack of confidence.

I devour books but spelling and grammar is awful to me it is the item not the grammar and spelling that counts.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
my own personal experience with benefits is everyone i have ever known to claim benefits...

my sister (always signed)
my brother in law (always signed)
her eldest daughter ( 1st kid at 16 second at 18 never worked, has a house etc etc)
my fishing partner (disability cant work but can sit with me for 4 days and nights on a damp lake living in a tent and lumping it all to and from the swim)
my wifes sister and husband (signing and working)
my mums step family (should be tv program made about the whole family...incredible, big tvs 2 holidays a year etc etc)

i grew up in a tower block on a housing estate and benefits were common and i never once knew 1 single person that deserved or needed what they got. im not saying there arent people that need help, if they need it they should get it but its not a god given right, if you get help you should remember that people like me that have worked their whole lives and scrimped and scraped to make ends meet pay for what is given out

ps: if i shouldnt name people because its traceable through my user name and they could get into trouble GOOD

oh and i vote conservative
Did you live on Benefit Street Andy ?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
nope, but it was similar lol and sometimes like an episode or jeremy kyle :yuck:

just enrages me when people say it is rare, pffffft

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Those that make a career out of living on benefits and handouts give the genuine a bad name unfortunately. It was introduced as a stop gap for those that fell on hard times. It was designed as a temporary measure, not a lifestyle. I blame the Gov't, it's too easy to play the system.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree, i dont blame them, they would be nuts to work, for my brother in law to get a job he would work 12 hour days to be in the same situation he is in now, why would he work? if someone needs help ill give it to them myself, im not saying we shouldnt help them, im just saying benefit fraud is rife and very hard to control or disprove a fraudster so the government is on a hiding to nothing, or maybe we should believe everyone and give everyone whatever they want just in case they are telling the truth, i dont know what the answer is im too dumb to even understand the ins and outs but i know its rife because ive seen it my whole life

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If to receive jobseekers allowance the Gov't introduced some form of community/voluntary work we would all see a benefit and it would soon deter the fraudsters. It may appear harsh but for those that are genuine I don't think a few days a week helping out locally would hurt. It can also add to work experience or a CV.

Reactions: 5 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
nope, but it was similar lol and sometimes like an episode or jeremy kyle :yuck:

just enrages me when people say it is rare, pffffft

It certainly isn't around where i live. yes we're way out in the sticks but there is always seasonal work and allot of people do that. I worked as a cleaner, a kitchen assistant, I worked in Burger King and I worked hard as well as being in college, I was always hired every season and during the winter months I did odd jobs, dog walking, child sitting, anything I could to earn a living until i got ill.

THAT'S when i found out how hard it was to get any help and support. (it's not easy at all, it's a nightmare frankly)

If people you know are defrauding the system and are capable of work then why not speak up and say something? they're not helping people who REALLY need the support, there making it harder for people who genuinely need the help.

My brother has a curved spine, he worked in a pub four days a week washing dishes/being a kitchen assistant. he was in horrible pain when he got home from bending down over a sink for hours at a time (he's 6'4 so he isn't short), he was one step away from being put on morphine based pain killers and yet he still slogged it out, he lived in fear of having to claim because of the stigma attached to it, if your on benefit's your scum, your a scrounger. he is now forced to put up with people giving him grife for a 'bad back' he's gone for any and all job's but has had little success. he's not qualified to do office or shop work (he's Autistic and it can be an issue, be trys his best, he works aroun it for the most part but dealing with allot of people is really hard for him, he dosnt understand soical norms and it's lead to him being hurt), the JC can't help him into education to get him better qualifications because it would interfere with his job searching (he would LOVE to be an electrician or web based game designer, he's got the talent for it) but he's between a rock and a hard place. he's going in circles and is confused and scared. he's done some odd jobs here and there but they were just that, odd jobs. he has yet to find an employer who will take him on full time. he's tried to work in the supermarkets but they have cut back the buses in our area so he cant do evening jobs, which is all he was offered. he doesn't drive so cant do bar work, he doesn't even have a moped licence because he can't afford the test or insurance or moped which would help him job search wise because he'd be able to apply for more jobs (BTW if anyone from around the west somerset area is looking for someone to help with outdoor work or anything that dosnt involed alot of poeple handeling so to speak please get in contact with me. my brother's a good man and reliable, as long as he can work to the local bus time table)

my Mother is a HCA at my loca hospital. when she was younger she was on benefit's, as were a few people who lived on our street. most of them work now.

I think it depends on where you live but it's not average for everyone on benefits to not try for work.

I was spat on in the street by someone with a similar attitude.

Thats not ok, AT ALL!

If you know someone is frouding the system and your not willing to say anything then you are enabling them, thus helping the problem.

I'm sorry to be so blunt.

I see this allot, people being treated this way. because of some, the whole are being made to feel like scum and the government have helped to make people like myself, my family and friends easy targets for public hate and scorn.

If there was a magic cure to make me healthy, bring it on, i hate being the way i am, i want to work, i'm trying to get the education i need in order to get a decent job and i have a right to be treated as human and so do the friends I know on benefits and not a signal one of them dosnt try there damned hardest to get a PERMEANT job.

If you KNOW people are fording the system then say something. let the JC know or whoever you need to. if they know about these people they can stop them. the more they stop the better it would be for people who really do need the support.

You cant sit there siting off people you know living on benefits who dont need to and then comment on how many are frouding the system and that it's not rare where you live.

DO something about it. family or not. yeah it's hard but if you think there all scroungers and are capable of work then what's the problem? being kicked off benefits will force them into work right? will make them go out and look for a job because they will not longer be getting easy money from the tax payers.

If every person who stated 'i know there lying and are nothing but frauds' reported people like that then there'd be allot less scammers in the system.

but these people don't, they sit and tut and scowl yet very few of them actually DO something.

ummm, if this is too harsh please let me know, I dont intend it to be! but it's frustrating because I here 'there all just scroungers' so
often and it's only a 'few' who are genuine. that's not right at all.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
i agree, i dont blame them, they would be nuts to work, for my brother in law to get a job he would work 12 hour days

My Mum works a 12 hour shift, five days a week at the local hospital and manages to just about keep her head above water, myself and my brother pitch in, any money either of us gets goes strait to her to help pay the bills ect,ect.

My brother when he was working did four days split shift clocking in at 10 hours per day.five in the morning/lunch time and five in the evening.

when i was working before i got ill i was dong four evenings a week at a fast food joint from 6pm to 1am, working every other weekend as well as doing college. I also did cleaning at the local holiday camp on the weekends i had off for a few hours in the morning.

if you need to work long hours then you work long hours. better than being labeled a benefit scrounger really.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
If to receive jobseekers allowance the Gov't introduced some form of community/voluntary work we would all see a benefit and it would soon deter the fraudsters. It may appear harsh but for those that are genuine I don't think a few days a week helping out locally would hurt. It can also add to work experience or a CV.

If your on JSA and havent found a job they tell you to get voluntary work or go on mandatory job courses to improve your interview skills and build a CV ect,ect.

if you dont do them then you have your benefits stopped. this is called sancening. get sanced too many times and your kicked off JSA. (sorry about the spelling, my spell check dosnt recognise the word sancening :/ )

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ok......

firstly, not everyone thinks your scrounging, its insulting even to me to be labelled as this as i have never said this to you

neither did i suggest that everyone claiming benefits are scroungers

i just said i know of many many people that are and it isnt as rare as you think, the statistics about people that are defrauding the system are complete nonsense, all the people i know doing it (and ive only mentioned the people closest to me i know so many others, its common practise) arent considered to be defrauding or they would have their benefits stopped, they are statistically genuine.

i called the advertised phone number for my mums step family because it made me want to vomit how they would boast about what they do and we had a problem because i had a huge row with them, i told them i was going to grass on them for what they were doing and i did it, probly 5 years later, absolutely nothing has changed, no one every came around, i even told them there car registraion so they could watch them going to work each day, and nothing they still do it and still get away with it, so again please dont make assumptions, also every time i see my sister and her family which isnt often for obvious reasons there is usually a big row around my mums because i indeed use the word scum when telling them in the strongest possible way that what they are doing is wrong, this upsets my mum but i cant help myself so have taken to avoiding the situation, when my mum pops her cloggs they know we will not be in contact at all

they are playing a system that has been set up to make it possible for them to do it, i dont actually blame them, it should not be made easy, as i said i dont know how it could be done but the fact that the way things are it would make no sense to go to work all month and be financially worse off, they would be stupid not to exploit the system, this is the real world

i certainly am not scared to speak my mind especially to people that are taking my money off me

i employ someone with autism and someone with epilepsy, they managed to get a job, im sure they could have decided it was too hard and claim benefits genuinely,

i want to live in a world where no one goes hungry, no one lives on the streets and anyone who who needs support, gets it and im perfectly happy to pay it, i think in the so called civilised world there are people suffering through poverty when others have so muchis a crime, tell me how to change it that would be fair? tell me how to distinguish between the genuine and the fraudsters, explain to me how you would deal with things differently rather than blaming the government for doing it wrong

its an impossible situation, if they dont make it harder it will get worse, yes people will suffer the reverse, thats very bad, you know your genuine but how do i? how does the system know your genuine?

but please dont tell me that its rare

i cant believe i involved myself in this thread, i tried hard to keep my size 11s out :( someone kick me

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm not really sure where this thread is going but I don't have any issue with someone who is claiming benefits. I do have issues with people who make it a career move. Jobs are not plentiful but there is work out there. There's no point posting on forums telling people how hard you used to work or your family because there's no need to justify it. I don't know you, your family or your circumstances. I stand by my statement that fraudulent claims are rife in the benefit system. I've worked there, trust me. It may only be the odd day's work "cash in hand" but it goes on. I am also well aware that for others it's a lifeline. I just don't see the point of discussing your personal situation on a forum. I hope you soon find suitable employment that you enjoy. Good luck ! Mo

Reactions: 4 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ok......

firstly, not everyone thinks your scrounging, its insulting even to me to be labelled as this as i have never said this to you

neither did i suggest that everyone claiming benefits are scroungers

i just said i know of many many people that are and it isnt as rare as you think, the statistics about people that are defrauding the system are complete nonsense, all the people i know doing it (and ive only mentioned the people closest to me i know so many others, its common practise) arent considered to be defrauding or they would have their benefits stopped, they are statistically genuine.

i called the advertised phone number for my mums step family because it made me want to vomit how they would boast about what they do and we had a problem because i had a huge row with them, i told them i was going to grass on them for what they were doing and i did it, probly 5 years later, absolutely nothing has changed, no one every came around, i even told them there car registraion so they could watch them going to work each day, and nothing they still do it and still get away with it, so again please dont make assumptions, also every time i see my sister and her family which isnt often for obvious reasons there is usually a big row around my mums because i indeed use the word scum when telling them in the strongest possible way that what they are doing is wrong, this upsets my mum but i cant help myself so have taken to avoiding the situation, when my mum pops her cloggs they know we will not be in contact at all

they are playing a system that has been set up to make it possible for them to do it, i dont actually blame them, it should not be made easy, as i said i dont know how it could be done but the fact that the way things are it would make no sense to go to work all month and be financially worse off, they would be stupid not to exploit the system, this is the real world

i certainly am not scared to speak my mind especially to people that are taking my money off me

i employ someone with autism and someone with epilepsy, they managed to get a job, im sure they could have decided it was too hard and claim benefits genuinely,

i want to live in a world where no one goes hungry, no one lives on the streets and anyone who who needs support, gets it and im perfectly happy to pay it, i think in the so called civilised world there are people suffering through poverty when others have so much, tell me how to change it that would be fair? tell me how to distinguish between the genuine and the fraudsters, explain to me how you would deal with things differently rather than blaming the government for doing it wrong

its an impossible situation, if they dont make it harder it will get worse, yes people will suffer the reverse, thats very bad, you know your genuine but how do i? how does the system know your genuine?

but please dont tell me that its rare

i cant believe i involved myself in this thread, i tried hard to keep my size 11s out :( someone kick me

I am sorry, I dont mean to upset anyone. I'm just tired! I'm really surprised that when you phoned they didnt take you serioudly, from wht i have herd and been told when you do that they HAVE to investigate it, I'm actually pretty shocked :( how on earth can they not doing anything when everyone is yelling about nothing being done, i dont understand that!

does the person you employ have good control over there epilepsy? I'm just wondering as i struggle with mine, what sort of work do they do for you? am really interested if you dont mind me asking.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'm not really sure where this thread is going but I don't have any issue with someone who is claiming benefits. I do have issues with people who make it a career move. Jobs are not plentiful but there is work out there. There's no point posting on forums telling people how hard you used to work or your family because there's no need to justify it. I don't know you, your family or your circumstances. I stand by my statement that fraudulent claims are rife in the benefit system. I've worked there, trust me. It may only be the odd day's work "cash in hand" but it goes on. I am also well aware that for others it's a lifeline. I just don't see the point of discussing your personal situation on a forum. I hope you soon find suitable employment that you enjoy. Good luck ! Mo

Thank you :)

I dont mean to wave the red flag but i'm so used to having to justify myself it's sort of becomes the norm ya know.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
this government is no worse than any other they are all as bad as each other and will continue to be.

Precisely

In the words of the song ..."meet the new boss the same as the old boss"

Politics is just a career nowadays. Its all about power rather than public service.

If I hear the phrases "hard working people" or "cost of living crisis" much more I think I'll throw up.

Reactions: 4 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
heh! kind of made a right muppet out of myself haven't I! I dunno it seems that there are two very set sides of the fence and neither is willing to listen to the other at times. I don't personally know alot of people who don't need the help they are getting, I just find it hard to believe that it's so easy to fraud the system when it's so hard for people who need the help to get it!

I honestly don't understand it.

Precisely

In the words of the song ..."meet the new boss the same as the old boss"

Politics is just a career nowadays. Its all about power rather than public service.

If I hear the phrases "hard working people" or "cost of living crisis" much more I think I'll throw up.

I'd really like a 'none of the above' tick box when i next go to vote!

wasn't there a country that decided to chuck out there government, put them in prison and elected a new one? I think it was Iceland? seems like a good idea to me.