I am SO sick of peoples attitude towards people who claim any type of benefit.

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Rin your tirade against Pixie tells me that you are a very ignorant person who prejudges people on a very shallow set of self values.
l very much doubt that even if offered a job with you Pixie would accept and if she did wouldn't stay with you for long. If someone is trying to better themselves then they should be applauded or helped and criticism directed with helpful advice. Not judged as being unworthy of any part in the human race. Though if you are a specimen of the human race, l am happy belonging to the sub species that Pixie belongs to.

Many regards
MID (sub species of the human race)
If you are responding to me, for a little info, I had in the past employed some kids 16 -18, that had serious learning problems, I taught and ran youth clubs. For your information these kids all went out and got other jobs as they got older, but they got the chance, and why? Because they really wanted to. They got someone to help write their letters, their applications were honest, correct and fairly well written. They actually realised do it right... every time!
When you talk to these kids they may have intellectual problems but did the job on the whole correctly. The person states that they have had this crzp for 30 years, sounds to me like there may be a spot of self inflicted action.
I got state help when I was injured, I needed to sit down and do my homework. I realise that if you send a decent bit of prose, correctly formatted and easy to read that it WILL get read. Give me **** then I will put it down the toilet.
I am now retired and see all around me a could not give a fig attitude. Believe me goodness knows where they will be at retirement age. I did not have a degree, go to Uni etc. Was told by a senior person of a large authority that he will not employ anyone under 32. Why, because it takes them at least until then to realise you do nought you get nought! He and I started at 16, neither of us went to "Uni". I can now do carpentry, have an HGV, am an electrician, taught, a radio amateur, weld, do car mechanics, install windows, have been a bailiff. The opportunities are there and I have never been out of work for long. Its really up to you.
One of my offspring wanted a job here in France and got one within weeks yet there is very high youth unemployment and we are in the sticks as did another English person, remember they are also in a country where they do not speak the language as well as the locals. My other offspring in the UK wanted a job and got one in days. Neither have been to uni. They also live in the sticks. If you want it go and get it., and do it right...always.

Reactions: 4 people

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have to agree with MID i have re read what you said a few times and was trying to find a way of reading it as constructive criticism but it just seems like an attack to be honest (i hope I'm wrong) as you can see i don't use capitals and my letter i is always small lol but if you don't like it done like this i couldn't care aless lol, I'm very uneducated more due to my laziness I'm sure, so i have no intention of spending extra effort on grammar because it is effort for me, i tried for a while and spent longer going through my posts correcting the grammar than writing it in the first place, anyway thats my two penneth :) in conclusion @rinfrance BOOOOOOO!
Its not per se but I really get pzzzzd off when people say I cannot because! Having had disabled, academically, children work for me, and disabled people in companies that I worked for feel that the very thought that they have been given that for years means that they possibly are not even attempting to show their worth. Do not blame the system if you fail, blame yourself. Do not expect me to select you for a job over some one that writes a decent application. Being a uni twit does not label a person as being able to do a job.
Some instances, a forklift driver, had a degree in geography, got lost in a large warehouse!!! He was sacked. how about a person with a sociology degree sacked for winding up union people. Shall I go on. You are paying for their degrees yet they feel unable to write prose correctly and wonder why they do not get invited for interviews. The ability to get a job is there the individual just has to want to get it. Do not blame the state if you do not, cannot be bothered or whatever fail to attract the attention of an employer.
I am not getting at the aforesaid person, just their comments and their rant!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Its not per se but I really get pzzzzd off when people say I cannot because! Having had disabled, academically, children work for me, and disabled people in companies that I worked for feel that the very thought that they have been given that for years means that they possibly are not even attempting to show their worth. Do not blame the system if you fail, blame yourself. Do not expect me to select you for a job over some one that writes a decent application. Being a uni twit does not label a person as being able to do a job.
Some instances, a forklift driver, had a degree in geography, got lost in a large warehouse!!! He was sacked. how about a person with a sociology degree sacked for winding up union people. Shall I go on. You are paying for their degrees yet they feel unable to write prose correctly and wonder why they do not get invited for interviews. The ability to get a job is there the individual just has to want to get it. Do not blame the state if you do not, cannot be bothered or whatever fail to attract the attention of an employer.
I am not getting at the aforesaid person, just their comments and their rant!

we agree here i think, just seems like an attack on someone personally is uncalled for especially as they didn't ask for advice on filing out an application form and you don't know the first thing about what they are struggling with or the ins and outs of any learning conditions they may or may not have, but i do also feel frustrated about these things as I've said

Reactions: 3 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
" Being a uni twit does not label a person as being able to do a job."
I'd have thought that being any sort of twit might make it hard to get a job. What specifically is a "uni twit" ? I'm afraid I struggle with these technical terms.

I'm quite fussy (over pedantic) about my own grammar, spelling, etc, but only expect from others that they successfully communicate with the audience. Spelling, grammar, etc are things that can make many people nervous and insecure as they know they aren't always "correct". It's vital that everyone, whatever their education, abilities, etc should feel able to write on this Forum.

Personally I've been admiring capitainpixie's clear, rational and measured postings. Much easier to understand than some of the others which use big words and convoluted sentences. Keep it up, please.

Jane.

Reactions: 5 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Interesting that a security guards off the cuff comment to you put your recovery back 2 years
What exactly do you think your fully aimed and loaded comments to Pixie will do?

MID (SHS)

Reactions: 6 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
Question, how does the failure of spell checker come across with little letters at the beginning of a sentence.
If one does not use the very easy facility of red underlined right click for options then do not be too surprised if you are not asked to put trolleys away for Tesco. The probability is you will mix up types.
Habit is the key, drive all over the road, and you will do it on your test, failing to do it right means you will more than likely continue with your mistakes.

wow, hello Rinfrance :)

That's quite allot of information.

Ok, I do actually use a spell and grammar checker on the computer but some stuff get's threw or i use the wrong grammatical word. it's improved a lot since my school days but it's now at a point where it's not really going to get any better sadly.

To be PERFECT I would need to use the programs I have for uni and that takes up far to much time to set up and use with the internet (you wouldn't think but dear gods above and below does it take an age) so I only use it for course work.

Here's an example of what my sentences look like when I'm not using the spell checker AT ALL provided by chrome (I think that's right, not sure what program it is that picks up the error)

it's not easy useing something like a spell cheker when your not upto stratch using a dicshonary is hard beecus i dont now what the write orda four letter in the spellng is. i somtimes can recanize a rong word buy the shap of the word butt its knot always that simpel four me.

But hard to read :)

The whole TESCO thing, I actually got blacklisted from there [I think they never actually said but I never got another job interview with them] and it wasn't for a lack of label misinterpretation. i have a pretty bad fit stacking shelves, tin's and injury follow shortly. I Felt so bad and was horrified . A load of tin's ended up injuring an old lady and a young man. this was way back when I was in my early 20's, I was fired of course, I was a liability.they couldn't risk me getting hurt or hurting someone else which I would never want to do.

so in the end it wasn't being somewhat 'illiterate' that got me fired, it was my brain trying to do me in :)

for a very long time I didn't think I was good for nothing more than cleaning rooms in the local holiday camp. (I had a partner so I was alone) but I have found over the year's that I am very good at Graphic Design. spelling, grammar and type face are very important but then so is learning to ask for help and not being afraid to take chances. This I have learned through the support of my tutor's (he had over 30 years of experience in the graphic design industry, has won several awards for his work and is quite frankly totally bonkers so we get along like a house on fire) the first thing he said to me was to always ask for help when stuck and to ALWAYS check your work or have someone else check your work and to keep everything you do. it's not uncommon, it doesn't make me unemployable in this industry it just means it's a little harder.

I hope this help's, here's some examples of my work at Uni. (all type was hand rendered, mis spelled and rectified....eventually) in fact everything you see here is hand rendered, no computers used what so ever. and I HAD to get help, I had to have someone check over my work, which I have been told is actually a normal thing in the industry, to look for errors etc before mock up's or final printing is approved.

12429_10200355680989528_2141678003_n.jpg
182580_10200398368776696_1074225018_n.jpg
302870_10200403404822594_2136613608_n.jpg
603611_10200355682509566_346268599_n.jpg
945125_10200393604577594_848878550_n.jpg

I'm not really sure where you're going with the statement's you have made.

I think you had some good idea's with regards to benefit fraud and how to deal with it. I do think that if you can afford drugs and alcohol and cigarettes that you're taking the micky. that money is for food and the household necessities and not for recreational escapism. I also think thing's need to change in the system to help make it easier to report, investigate and suspend people who abuse the system.

well I hope some of my answer's have not come across as too fractured with regards to some of your statements.

I will say this, I am not unemployable, I believe that now, it's an uphill struggle and I'm always having to check myself. I get angry, I get hurt, I get upset and my way of dealing with that is sometimes by screaming at the world, it's not going to change anything but it's good for getting over myself sometimes. I'm not un-open to new idea's and option's, in fact I've come across some insightful, thought provoking statements that have made me sit and think about this issue.

It's never going to be black and white sadly. no matter how much i wish it could be, it would make it easier to root out the bad guy's and help the good guy's but life is not a comic book or cartoon.

It just doesn't work that way.

being constructive, helpful and open to new idea's WILL help though, it's no good simply being down on people and pointing out all their faults and mistakes, telling them they are never going to be any better than what they are.

It doesn't help and it's hurtful, useless and just mean.

How can anyone believe in themselves, strive to achieve something more, something better if they are made to feel useless, broken.

It just doesn't help.

Reactions: 7 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
Also, YOU GUYS ROCK THANK YOU SO MUCH!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
wow, hello Rinfrance :)

That's quite allot of information.

Ok, I do actually use a spell and grammar checker on the computer but some stuff get's threw or i use the wrong grammatical word. it's improved a lot since my school days but it's now at a point where it's not really going to get any better sadly.

To be PERFECT I would need to use the programs I have for uni and that takes up far to much time to set up and use with the internet (you wouldn't think but dear gods above and below does it take an age) so I only use it for course work.

Here's an example of what my sentences look like when I'm not using the spell checker AT ALL provided by chrome (I think that's right, not sure what program it is that picks up the error)

it's not easy useing something like a spell cheker when your not upto stratch using a dicshonary is hard beecus i dont now what the write orda four letter in the spellng is. i somtimes can recanize a rong word buy the shap of the word butt its knot always that simpel four me.

But hard to read :)

The whole TESCO thing, I actually got blacklisted from there [I think they never actually said but I never got another job interview with them] and it wasn't for a lack of label misinterpretation. i have a pretty bad fit stacking shelves, tin's and injury follow shortly. I Felt so bad and was horrified . A load of tin's ended up injuring an old lady and a young man. this was way back when I was in my early 20's, I was fired of course, I was a liability.they couldn't risk me getting hurt or hurting someone else which I would never want to do.

so in the end it wasn't being somewhat 'illiterate' that got me fired, it was my brain trying to do me in :)

for a very long time I didn't think I was good for nothing more than cleaning rooms in the local holiday camp. (I had a partner so I was alone) but I have found over the year's that I am very good at Graphic Design. spelling, grammar and type face are very important but then so is learning to ask for help and not being afraid to take chances. This I have learned through the support of my tutor's (he had over 30 years of experience in the graphic design industry, has won several awards for his work and is quite frankly totally bonkers so we get along like a house on fire) the first thing he said to me was to always ask for help when stuck and to ALWAYS check your work or have someone else check your work and to keep everything you do. it's not uncommon, it doesn't make me unemployable in this industry it just means it's a little harder.

I hope this help's, here's some examples of my work at Uni. (all type was hand rendered, mis spelled and rectified....eventually) in fact everything you see here is hand rendered, no computers used what so ever. and I HAD to get help, I had to have someone check over my work, which I have been told is actually a normal thing in the industry, to look for errors etc before mock up's or final printing is approved.

View attachment 2914 View attachment 2915 View attachment 2916 View attachment 2917 View attachment 2918

I'm not really sure where you're going with the statement's you have made.

I think you had some good idea's with regards to benefit fraud and how to deal with it. I do think that if you can afford drugs and alcohol and cigarettes that you're taking the micky. that money is for food and the household necessities and not for recreational escapism. I also think thing's need to change in the system to help make it easier to report, investigate and suspend people who abuse the system.

well I hope some of my answer's have not come across as too fractured with regards to some of your statements.

I will say this, I am not unemployable, I believe that now, it's an uphill struggle and I'm always having to check myself. I get angry, I get hurt, I get upset and my way of dealing with that is sometimes by screaming at the world, it's not going to change anything but it's good for getting over myself sometimes. I'm not un-open to new idea's and option's, in fact I've come across some insightful, thought provoking statements that have made me sit and think about this issue.

It's never going to be black and white sadly. no matter how much i wish it could be, it would make it easier to root out the bad guy's and help the good guy's but life is not a comic book or cartoon.

It just doesn't work that way.

being constructive, helpful and open to new idea's WILL help though, it's no good simply being down on people and pointing out all their faults and mistakes, telling them they are never going to be any better than what they are.

It doesn't help and it's hurtful, useless and just mean.

How can anyone believe in themselves, strive to achieve something more, something better if they are made to feel useless, broken.

It just doesn't help.
Great post Pixie ! Well said !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
If you are responding to me, for a little info, I had in the past employed some kids 16 -18, that had serious learning problems, I taught and ran youth clubs. For your information these kids all went out and got other jobs as they got older, but they got the chance, and why? Because they really wanted to. They got someone to help write their letters, their applications were honest, correct and fairly well written. They actually realised do it right... every time!

I have a very good CV actually, got help from the Jobcentre to write it and next year I have work experience set up with a great company that will, if I play my cards right lead to a job.

some of the '****' I have received over the year's has been, in part brought upon myself, I do not for one second think that it wasn't but then again some of the reasons behind my behavior when I was younger was due to being angry, frustrated and scared. I actually did far better in school than anyone expected of me. i was written off, i was given U's, ungradable in my sat's, I worked hard though and pulled up all my grade's, I did well for me, but sadly that did not carry on from there.

I would add that i had NO help or support from anyone apart from my MOTHER, so it was a wee bit of a nightmare to be very frank.

sometimes it's not about what you have 'brought upon you self' that holds you back. it's very hard to overcome some thing's [rape, sexual abuse, physical violence, abuse, physical or mental or both] and I think in part I could have done better early on in my life if some thing's had not happened to me. it took a very long time to get over that. if your feeling's on the matter are 'oh dear now she's putting on the sob story as an excuse', well it's not and if you would really like i can provide evidence to the fact. I don't do self pity, at least not as much any more.

But I digress from the matter.

not everyone is lucky enough to have someone like you to help them. if there were more helpful people like yourself in society then maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

More people need to care, more people need to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I will add that I really would like to work in the packaging industry, I've found it to be interesting and so amazingly varied and I've already gotten some great refrances from people i have designed for. my work thus far has been for free but it's been fun and I've really enjoyed it.

I can do this, I know I can.

So no, I'm not a Uni Twit, I take it seriously unlike SOME of the kid's in my class :/

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I will add that I really would like to work in the packaging industry, I've found it to be interesting and so amazingly varied and I've already gotten some great refrances from people i have designed for. my work thus far has been for free but it's been fun and I've really enjoyed it.

I can do this, I know I can.

So no, I'm not a Uni Twit, I take it seriously unlike SOME of the kid's in my class :/

Off topic I know but I LOVE retro packaging!

Reactions: 2 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Off topic I know but I LOVE retro packaging!

I know it's AWESOME isn't it :) love it!

I'm currently researching into 70's packing right now for an essay [it's ok, i have help with that] and some of the stuff they did was amazing, real time and effort was put into detail and the use of the space they had, mind blowing.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
did you know that Sainsbury's going back to some of their own brand packing from the retro era, the new line in packing they have is greatly inspired by their earlier designs which i think is genius. i love it, i was talking about it was my tutor a few weeks ago, comparing what they did and what they're doing now. it's so simple yet i love how uncrowded it is, they have the look but not the overload of information if that makes sense.

sorry forgot to put in some examples :) but here's some of their old packaging and some of the new stuff.
sainsburys-own-label-011.jpg

sainsburys_two_sides_a.683_0.jpg

article-2262961-16F63350000005DC-672_634x309.jpg

2b.jpg

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
C

catherinecherub

Hi Pixie,

I love the Art Deco and Art Nouveau period and some of their advertising appeals to me.
My home is covered in prints from both periods.
When I went to Prague I purchased some of Alphonse Mucha prints from a Museum of his works. The paper is much better quality than some of the others I have purchased in the U.K.
Packaging is an art form in itself and can be inspiring but I think that not everyone appreciates the art involved.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Pixie,

I love the Art Deco and Art Nouveau period and some of their advertising appeals to me.
My home is covered in prints from both periods.
When I went to Prague I purchased some of Alphonse Mucha prints from a Museum of his works. The paper is much better quality than some of the others I have purchased in the U.K.
Packaging is an art form in itself and can be inspiring but I think that not everyone appreciates the art involved.

lol I think you might be right there!

Art Nouveau is gorgeous but a ****** to hand render, i was going to use it on my can label design but ended up scrapping it. protractor's are not my friend, nether are compases.
evvvvvvil things!
but I do admire the style, some of the buildings are simply stunning from what I've found in my research of the genera, amazing :)

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
you ever feel a bit....

the fall sherlock by vedovabiance tumblr.gif

at times *sigh*