Chocolate addiction

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I really need help in trying to break my addiction for chocolate. Is there anybody else that has been addicted and got help for it? Saturday night I ate a whole packet of a sharing bag of Malteasers, Sunday morning I ate a100g (ithink that size) of Galaxy and Sunday night I ate a 100g bar of Cadburys caramel. Can I get help from a doctor?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
ohh thats hard choclate addiction, i used to eat alot of it but now i look at it and see it a posion , seems to work for me anyways, i switched to dark choc from lidi 79p 75 pc cocco 2 squares is usually enough for me and maybe worth a try ,as cadburys just pure suger , the other tip from carra on here was the atkins bars to freeze them time you chew threw it the fix is over, all worth a try, as for the gp i would ask you never know really if there is as it is a big problem you have said you have breaking it, i do understand and i wish you lots luck in breaking it, dont quit until you get help xxx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Worth a try talking to the doc as there's bound to be some stuff or other that can help. There are worse things to be addicted to. If you like dark chocolate try swapping to that as its not as bad as milk chocolate. Obvious things are don't buy it but its difficult if you've got kids or others in the house who stuff it in front of you.

equipoise

Is there anything you really hate the taste of? (marmite?). If so, try to sentence yourself: one square of chocolate means you then have to immediately have one teaspoon of marmite (or equivalent). Build up negative associations. Worth a try? Alternatively, If you go cold turkey for a few months it's then a bit easier to adjust to small rations of very dark chocolate. But you must break the cycle.

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Buy some Atkins bars.

I could eat 10 times what you ate and still have room for more! So don't worry.

Of course it turned me into a diabetic.....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
chocolate mmmmmm not many nights went by that i didn't eat the biggest bars of whole nut, fruit and nut etc, i had to eat the whole bar and never felt sick, as soon as easter eggs hit the shops i also had one every lunchtime for months lol, i love(d) chocolate and would happily go back to eating it again if i allowed myself, i do eat a lot of 70-90% green & blacks or lindt now with a hot cup of tea in the evenings, i wished i could say i only had 2 squares too, occasionally i only have 2 lol i also eat the atkins bars (chocolate decadence) i can leave my house at night in the cold to go all the way to asda just to buy one only to feel disappointed that i bothered once its gone lol

you just have to find the strength to say no! easy to say but hard to do, test your bg after eating it, that is normally all the kick i need to regret it enough to not have it next time

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Milk chocolate is seriously bad for you. Go for 85% dark chocolate of which there are many brands. The difference in the carb content between the two is great

Lilliepop

Do you take your BS two hours after eating the chocolate? If so what is the reading? I always have a bit of chocolate every night 70% look forward to it. I used to hate dark chocolate got used to it now. Chocolate Brazil nuts are my problem.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
If I am remembering Sarah is an insulin using diabetic so could be adjusting her insulin to compensate for the chocolate so BGs aren't necessarily the problem.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Do you take your BS two hours after eating the chocolate? If so what is the reading? I always have a bit of chocolate every night 70% look forward to it. I used to hate dark chocolate got used to it now. Chocolate Brazil nuts are my problem.
Lilliepop as least you can justify it by the fact that you had nuts with it lol x

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
I can't go out for a week, no make that a month as all you see in the shops are rows and rows of chocolate shape hearts and boxes of chocolate for Valentine's day and Easter eggs :mad::D

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi Sarah. I agree Chocolate addiction is awful for a diabetic and I do sympathise with you. However, despite all the tips and advice you've been given, at the end of the day, basically it's down to you to cure yourself. You're the only one who can stop shoving chocolate down your throat and hiking your BGs up, and I'm sure you know the consequences of persistently high BGs. I'm reasonably certain there's no medication available to cure a chocolate addiction but maybe a chat with your GP and a request for some counselling might help. I see from your profile that as well as diabetic meds you're on a couple of others, one of which I've been on myself as treatment for chronic depression. I have long recognised an association between depression, the desperate need to binge on chocolate and diabetes. Its a downward spiral and so very hard to reverse, but you have to do it! It's taken me a while but I've cracked it, hopefully in time to slow down the damage I've already inflicted on myself. You're a good bit younger than me, time is on your side. Please don't run the risk of ruining your life " all because the lady loves Milk Tray"...or Galaxy, Malteesers etc etc. Time to respect yourself, you're worth it! Take care eh ;)

Reactions: 7 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
My treat is a couple of squares of li dt 90% has 4g/100g
As Beachbag says though it is down to you negative associations can help.
l have found as l got older l have a savory tooth and lost my sweet tooth.

Catwin7906

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've got major chocolate withdrawals at the mo, I decided rather stupidly that my New Years resolution will be to not buy chocolate, other sweets are fine and I can have chocolate as long as someone buys it for me. I've not broken my resolution as yet but am finding it really hard at times. I used to spend more than £8 on chocolate each time I went shopping. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
If anyone needs incentive go read Kevs thread Terminal and Scared... think that is pretty good incentive

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanks for all your suggestions but unless you have an addiction you have no idea how hard it is. I can go a few days without it but then it is on my mind 24/7. I had DKA in 2010 and managed to stop eating it after that for quite a while. I used to be able to inject insulin to cover it but I'm not on insulin anymore. I think it's gonna to be a drs appt to see what help they can give.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's very easy to get into the wrong frame of mind about chocolate. Don't get me wrong, it was the most wonderful foodstuff in the world. I particularly loved cadbury's caramel... I probably had a bar every day. I found the addiction really hard to break at first because I allowed myself that "treat". Chocolate was a treat for low blood sugar, so that gave me an excuse to go low, and thus a really bad circle reared it's ugly head 6 months ago.

Eating high percent cocoa does nothing for me except give me the taste for chocolate again. It reminds me what I'm missing, and rewarding myself with it becomes too easy.
I've had to remove chocolate from off that pedestal that it's sat on all my life. Break it down into it's components... would you eat a spoon of sugar? a spoon of fat?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Oh, I remember the days 10years ago , when I had a Kit Kat with a coffee mid morning and a Mars bar with coffee mid afternoon. I am not a saint, but now I eat a couple of squares in stead of a couple of bars. I don't like dark chocolate at all. I have the chocolate that I really like......... Cadbury's milk what ever variety takes my fancy. Now if you were talking cream cakes :oops: then I do have an addiction, but restrict it to a couple a month.

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I don't know if this will help or not (probably not but its worth a try), bare in mind I've never been a big fan of chocolate one small bar every few weeks was enough for me but anyway when I get that chocolate craving instead of grabbing a chocolate bar I have 1/2 a teaspoon of Nutella - it's not exactly a healthy option or the best option for a diabetic but I find it really kicks away that wanting for a chocolate bar or such like so when nothing else will do I grab the teaspoon