Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!! If one more person tells me to eat more carbs!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Not seen those 2 but o_O OMG am so not mentioning them to hub he will look at me in a way that speaks volumes :woot:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
You have my sympathy, Scandichic. If you think the nurses are bad, wait until you meet the dieticians lol

- do you eat meat?
- no I am vegetarian
- do you eat fish?
- er...no I am vegetarian (Fish are not vegetables. Even my cats know that!)
- you must eat rice.
- why? It has no nutritional value. I would rather eat cauli rice.
- you must eat noodles.
- why? They have no nutritional value. I would rather eat beansprouts.
- you must eat porridge.
- ok. *fingers crossed behind my back* :p
I think you need to go to thomothebear's virtual pub! According to the thread it's open 24/7! How did someone so dense get that job?!!!!!!l Lol!

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not seen those 2 but o_O OMG am so not mentioning them to hub he will look at me in a way that speaks volumes :woot:
Just go on you tube and look for
Pumpkin and Honey Bunny - Pulp Fiction (1/12) Movie CLIP (1994) HD
Enjoy!

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My DSN started off really promisingly, saying "Oh yes, I've heard good things about the low carb diet". Then we went through what I actually eat, and it was:

"Double cream??? Couldn't you change to skim milk?"
"You must eat some fruit. Just one piece a day. Or how about a nice glass of fruit juice with breakfast?"
"Chicken? You do have it skinless, don't you?"
"Double cream yoghurt? Did you know Moller Lite has no fat and no calories?"
"You need some healthy slow-release carbs or you won't have enough energy".

And so on. It turns out that she thinks my LCHF diet is fine as long as I increase the carbs and lower the fat. :confused:

Kate

Reactions: 7 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
l so needed this thread at 06:00 on a cold and wet morning am giggling to myself..sorry but love it l am also an ultra low carber under 30gram a day.
l have simiar discussions with most folks we those who dont know me. Those that do tend to mutter oh thats nice and zip up. l have a reputation for snarling temper unfair really as l am sweet and innocent. l just state my point firmly :)

Fat Genes read the Grain Brain book to help your IBS.
:)

"Fat Genes read the Grain Brain book to help your IBS".

;)Thanks Mud Dweller. I haven't eaten even just one, tiny, single grain, for over a month and almost all of the systemic inflammation is gone. I firmly believe that what I've been suffering from is Metabolic Syndrome. The Diabetes is a part of that, too. Carbs are horrid.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hej på dej! If it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have found diet doctor. I am on holiday now so intend posting on the Swedish site. My work have even told me that I must leave my teaching room to test and go and stand in the book cupboard adjoining my room to test or our office, leaving my classes unattended which is a disciplinary action. I do not eat grain either. Out of interest, are there not more doctors and nurses in Sweden who are supportive of the LCHF approach - I thought that government advice had changed? Do they refuse to acknowledge the blog? Surely the good doctors credentials must mean something?
I advocate a cattle prod for these annoying people. One with an adjustable voltage depending on the level of irritation you feel. This is probably illegal but everyone can dream right?!
It is still very few who as seen the LCHF light but the numbers are increasing. Couple of years ago a moderate low-carb high fat diet was approved as suitable for diabetics and thus it is required of DSN to advice this if the patient chooses the low-carb path. How well this works in reality I don't know but I suppose I soon will find out. Kostdoktorn.se is one of the most popular health sites in Sweden and has had quite an impact. As you read Swedish I can recommend ettsotareblod.se too, a sweeter blood in translation for those who are interested but don't understand Swedish. The author, Ann Fernholm, is a molecular biochemist or something like that who left research and turned into a science journalist instead. She does a brilliant job. I am sure people can google translate her blog posts should they be interested in what she has to say.

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I am new to all this (T2DB)but for the past seven weeks I have been using the balance diet approach. I have been balancing the available insulin in my body and the exercise I do against the carbs I eat, and checking that I my BG monitor shows that my post prandial reading is within the NICE guidelines for non-biabetics.

The SD Codefree monitor can be bought for £12 and the testing strips cost under £14 for 100. This allows 7 tests per day for under a quid. The cost of testing is more than funded by my reduced expenditure on food by cutting out the junk and unnecessary food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome, Syd!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Funny enough just had same argument with lady who tried to tell me gluten free is fine 2 of her kids are diabetic and sbe knows all.
Ditto to chol. we agreed to disagre in the end

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is still very few who as seen the LCHF light but the numbers are increasing. Couple of years ago a moderate low-carb high fat diet was approved as suitable for diabetics and thus it is required of DSN to advice this if the patient chooses the low-carb path. How well this works in reality I don't know but I suppose I soon will find out. Kostdoktorn.se is one of the most popular health sites in Sweden and has had quite an impact. As you read Swedish I can recommend ettsotareblod.se too, a sweeter blood in translation for those who are interested but don't understand Swedish. The author, Ann Fernholm, is a molecular biochemist or something like that who left research and turned into a science journalist instead. She does a brilliant job. I am sure people can google translate her blog posts should they be interested in what she has to say.
Will do! Sorry to see you getting a hard time in another thread:( are you really writing a book? Wow! Am guessing that you work in some kind of scientific field? Sorry, just curious?

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't know if you have ever watched Allie McBeal but she has little fantasies (no not those sort!) where people who annoy her get scooped up and put in a skip. I have much more violent ones. I don't know if you've seen pulp fiction? I refer to the scene with Tim Roth and his girlfriend, sitting in a cafe. They are exchanging romantic endearments, then she stands up, produces a really big gun, and shouts" non of you f::;?!&@ p'&£@'! Move or I'll execute every m?!£()!@ one of you! " I'd love to be able to say this just once but I feel someone might sack me or arrest me! This is why this website has been my sanity and made me laugh so much!

Apologies for indirectly waking up your husband with my foul language, :p. (the "expletive gif")
I know a lot of Sicilian swear-words, too, if you are in need of variety (or discretion). Always a pleasure to be of assistance. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do! Sorry to see you getting a hard time in another thread:( are you really writing a book? Wow! Am guessing that you work in some kind of scientific field? Sorry, just curious?
A book on why the current way to diagnose hypothyroidism doesn't work. Since they invented the TSH test Drs have come to believe you can rule out hypothyroidism if the TSH test is "normal" This isn't true. There are hundreds of thousands, mostly women who are told they are depressed, that it is natural to be tired when you are a mum/at a certain age like anything from 27 upwards or that they are stressed or that they have fibromyalgia or ME/CFS and that they should go on statins because their cholesterol is high. They are prescribed one antidepressant after the other, pain killers, are sent to dieticians because they cant shift their weight and their GP thinks they lie about what and how much they eat. Etc, all because the medical community can´t interpret the tests they order.

Before I got ill with hypothyroidism I was an archaeologist, now I am a vegetable farmer on the south of Gotland.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A book on why the current way to diagnose hypothyroidism doesn't work. Since they invented the TSH test Drs have come to believe you can rule out hypothyroidism if the TSH test is "normal" This isn't true. There are hundreds of thousands, mostly women who are told they are depressed, that it is natural to be tired when you are a mum/at a certain age like anything from 27 upwards or that they are stressed or that they have fibromyalgia or ME/CFS and that they should go on statins because their cholesterol is high. They are prescribed one antidepressant after the other, pain killers, are sent to dieticians because they cant shift their weight and their GP thinks they lie about what and how much they eat. Etc, all because the medical community can´t interpret the tests they order.

Before I got ill with hypothyroidism I was an archaeologist, now I am a vegetable farmer on the south of Gotland.
This is what I love about this site! You meet so many kind(usually!) , interesting people!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Apologies for indirectly waking up your husband with my foul language, :p. (the "expletive gif")
I know a lot of Sicilian swear-words, too, if you are in need of variety (or discretion). Always a pleasure to be of assistance. :D
Why the Scicilian? Are you of Scicilian extraction? I have Swedish, German, French and A bit of Spanish (if I really have to!) . Once muttered a lot of uncomlimentary remarks in Swedish under my breath in a lesson. Judging from the grin on the islandic kids face who was sitting near me, he understood. Oops. Very careful what I now say! lol.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not long after (mis)diagnosing me, the diabetes nurse at my surgery rejected my request for a testing kit. I asked how I was supposed to manage my condition without it. To which she replied 'You don't need to. That's my job.' Now, I'm not usually given to being rude to people but I'm afraid I made an exception.

Smidge

A

AnnieC

I think what we have to remember is that most non diabetics and many many T2's would never have heard of the LCHF diet so we can't really blame them for not understanding about it. As a prediabetic myself I don't do really low carb at the moment except for cutting out the starchy ones and of course sugar. But at least now coming on this forum I do understand about low carb should I ever need to do it

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think what we have to remember is that most non diabetics and many many T2's would never have heard of the LCHF diet so we can't really blame them for not understanding about it. As a prediabetic myself I don't do really low carb at the moment except for cutting out the starchy ones and of course sugar. But at least now coming on this forum I do understand about low carb should I ever need to do it
Hi Annie!
I take your point about non diabetics but surely medical professionals should be uptodate with the latest research. After all, some of the research goes back to 2008 which is a 5 year period. I would not be allowed to use this as an excuse in my profession. The other thing to whichmost of us take exception, is the fact that the current line of advice can lead to a worsening condition. I appreciate the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion but as the evidence for LCHF is so overwelming then surely a patient should be made aware of all the options?

Reactions: 3 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Conversation with diabetic nurse went as follows:
-Aren't rice, potatoes, bread and pasta carbohydrate which turn to sugar in my stomach and then increase the sugar levels in my system? Why, as a diabetic would I want to do that?
-That's why you need to eat slow release carbs.
-Won't that have the same effect?
-No. You will have used all the energy up before it gets into your system.

Personally I think this advice from your diabetic nurse is sound and spot on, have you actually tried it or at least researched anything to do with slow release carbs and the glycaemic index (GI), foods that dont send your bg levels through the roof and dont increase your sensitivity to carbs like avoiding them does?

Im glad I looked at more than one way when deciding on my new diabetic lifestyle as I have been able to take elements of low carbing and combined them with GI which I feel has given me the best of both worlds and as I dont avoid carbs I dont have to take extra vitamins and minerals to supplement those lost from my diet from not eating them.

Rubbishing advice that you have been given in good faith without at least investigating it seems a strange thing to do especially when thousands of people use something along the lines your diabetic nurse suggested to successfully control their diabetes, I always try to keep an open mind when it comes to diabetes control and never ignore anything until I have at least looked into it.

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
unfortunatley not everyone agrees with you (us) :( even diabetics on this forum disagree and think lchf to be dangerous, medical professions have to so careful when advocating something because they are in such a position as to get sued at the slightest thing, hopefully one day soon things will change but i fear not for a while yet, by which time how many countless needless complications and deaths will occur

edit: what timing i have :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I tried low GI, didn't work for me, even bought books on it. Do people actually know what is eaten on a lchf diet!! Its lots of green veg and suitable fruit.
To be honest if I didn't test I wouldn't know I was diabetic. I ate a 'healthy' diet before I was diagnosed, so I was stumped as to what to eat. I was vegetarian I ate whole grains, never could stand fizzy sweet drinks, very very rarely ate cakes or biscuits, and I caught diabetes.
So for me low/lower carb is the only way to eat.