Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!! If one more person tells me to eat more carbs!

A

AnnieC

Hi Annie!
I take your point about non diabetics but surely medical professionals should be uptodate with the latest research. After all, some of the research goes back to 2008 which is a 5 year period. I would not be allowed to use this as an excuse in my profession. The other thing to whichmost of us take exception, is the fact that the current line of advice can lead to a worsening condition. I appreciate the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion but as the evidence for LCHF is so overwelming then surely a patient should be made aware of all the options?

A friend of my daughters is a nutritionist she said the medical professionals are aware of the LCHF diet and can see it works with people but may not be suitable for all. She said they really can't say to patients this is what they should be doing as not enough is yet known about the long term effects on the general health and it has not been followed long enough by diabetics to say low carbers will suffer from less complications so until it is at the present time it has to be the diabetics own choice as to whether they follow LCHF or not

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
It started with my silly quest to show that the Skarthi on the Hedeby runestone was the same Skarthi named in Skardaborg, ie Scarborough.

Sveinn konungr setti stein eptir Skarða, sinn heimþega, er var farinn vestr, en núB varð dauðr at Heiðabý

http://www.cpt.co.uk/skarthi
Wow! Have you ever been? Very high on my wish list of places to go! Can't afford it as would want to take my girls and do everything. When I win the lottery........

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Would it not be helpful for folks to put their type in their signature? or would that breach the official secrets act?

Reactions: 3 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Brian,

I'm afraid it's carbs that cause problems to all diabetics by raising BG. Of course, Type 1s can effectively medicate against that which is what many choose to do. However, very few manage to maintain safe BGs with that choice unfortunately. I think the figure is something like 95% of Type 1s fail to keep Hba1c at 6.5 or below - I'm sure someone will correct that if I'm wrong - not very good at remembering numbers.

My non-diabetic partner started low-carving a year ago as his weight had gradually increased over the years to put him in the obese category. He has lost 3 and a half stone in the year.

Smidge

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A friend of my daughters is a nutritionist she said the medical professionals are aware of the LCHF diet and can see it works with people but may not be suitable for all. She said they really can't say to patients this is what they should be doing as not enough is yet known about the long term effects on the general health and it has not been followed long enough by diabetics to say low carbers will suffer from less complications so until it is at the present time it has to be the diabetics own choice as to whether they follow LCHF or not
What I can't understand is why they don't explain it like you just did. There is an alternative but we don't know the potential long term effects. Can't see that there would be problems as what I would call additional carbs ( rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, oats) have no other value than the provision of energy. From a cholestrol point of view I don't know. Think that uk diabetes is irresponsible verging on negligent to advise recipe tips on cakes and jam etc, bearing in mind these are foods which probably should be eaten rarely if at all if you want to lower bs or maintain a sensible bs level. Lots of research on LCHF and it's rationale but cannot find any for portion control. If this is the best advice then there should be plenty of accessible evidence which no one has been able to show me so far. Really good to have this kind of discussion and I appreciate it. If only I could have had this discussion with my dn!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Would it not be helpful for folks to put their type in their signature? or would that breach the official secrets act?
How do I do this? I filled out the profile but non of it comes up?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Have you ever been? Very high on my wish list of places to go! Can't afford it as would want to take my girls and do everything. When I win the lottery........

I've been to Schleswig many times. It's just a couple of km from the Viking Museum at Haithabu (Hedeby) and the reconstructed village on the orginal site. Schleswig is where the archaeological museum for Schleswig Holstein is situated, at Schloss Gottdorf. It contains a permanent exhibition of the bog bodies of Jutland and the famous Nydam and Thorsberg weapons sacrifices including the Nydam boat. Also in the area are several places where you can see the Danewerk, various runestones and smaller museums. There is enough to keep you going in this one location for a few days.

Ryanair used to do very cheap flights from Stansted to Lübeck and you can get a Schleswig Holstein Rail Ticket for about 30 euro which will allow upto 5 of you to travel on the local trains for 24 hours. Germany is cheaper than the UK for B&B and a lot cheaper than other european countries.

imagex300x200.jpeg

windebybody.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

How do I do this? I filled out the profile but non of it comes up?

At the top of the page on the right you will see your name.
Hover over it and go to "signature". You can then put the type of diabetes and anything else that you feel is relevant.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
At the top of the page on the right you will see your name.
Hover over it and go to "signature". You can then put the type of diabetes and anything else that you feel is relevant.
Thank you :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Is there anyone else out there who is facing resistance to being on a LCHF diet? So far today, 3 works colleagues (all teachers!) have given me this lecture, when declining rice with my meal! Apparently one knows because she "planned her diabetic dad's meals!" I have tried explaining that there is more than 1 school of thought, as well as masses of scientific evidence but to no avail. My sister-in-law thinks I'm arrogant for not following the advice of the diabetic nurse from hell's advice "it will get progressively worse and you need to eat more carbs." When I pointed out that there is a doctor in Sweden with a health blog who checks out and advices this diet to his patients, I was greeted with the response "oh so you found it on the internet" and "you don't live in Sweden" nothing like a bit ofxenophobia!
Conversation with diabetic nurse went as follows:
-Aren't rice, potatoes, bread and pasta carbohydrate which turn to sugar in my stomach and then increase the sugar levels in my system? Why, as a diabetic would I want to do that?
-That's why you need to eat slow release carbs.
-Won't that have the same effect?
-No. You will have used all the energy up before it gets into your system.
-Thought that blood sugar was carried to my cells by insulin then used as energy?
-Right. I am referring you onto the diabetic nurse at the hospital.
-Can I have a blood sugar monitor?
-No you don't need one. The tablets bring your bs down.
-didn't you just tell me that different foods affect my bs and that it was trial and error as to what would work for me so therefore I would need to test before and after meals.
-Like I said, the tablets bring your bs down and we don't give a monitor unless you are on insulin.
-Doesn't this contradict Nice?
No response(Stoney faced silence)
- I have lost 4lbs.
-that would be the diabetes!
Conversation went downhill from here.
Thank you for letting me rant!

Just ask them to show you the scientific papers on which they base their beliefs. I've looked for YEARS and all I've found is how the RDA for carbs is based on guesswork and false assumptions.
Hana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brian. There has been endless discussion on these forums about diets, carb, fats and so on but people more knowledgeable than me have often pointed out that not all calories are equal and carb calories are more likely to cause body weight gain thru deposited fat. The evils of too much fructose are also well-known and sucrose contains 50% fructose. My wife has been low-carbing along with me (she's not diabetic) and has lost a very large amount of weight. Previously she was low-fatting with no success.

Hi AnnieC. You have reinforced the point made in my earlier post. Medical professionals who don't recommend low-carb because of it's unknown long-term consequences are again shutting their eyes to the known damage caused by our current Western diet. They would rather encourage people to have a diet that is known to cause harm than one that is unproven but unlikely to cause harm. That seems pretty stupid to me and some would say reckless.

Reactions: 5 people
A

AnnieC

What I can't understand is why they don't explain it like you just did. There is an alternative but we don't know the potential long term effects. Can't see that there would be problems as what I would call additional carbs ( rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, oats) have no other value than the provision of energy. From a cholestrol point of view I don't know. Think that uk diabetes is irresponsible verging on negligent to advise recipe tips on cakes and jam etc, bearing in mind these are foods which probably should be eaten rarely if at all if you want to lower bs or maintain a sensible bs level. Lots of research on LCHF and it's rationale but cannot find any for portion control. If this is the best advice then there should be plenty of accessible evidence which no one has been able to show me so far. Really good to have this kind of discussion and I appreciate it. If only I could have had this discussion with my dn!

That was said off the record and not what she can say to her patients until much more is known about any long term side effects LCHF is a relatively new concept to this country so the larger marjority of diabetics would probably not have heard of it and many of those who have been long standing diabetics especially the more elderly ones would probably be very loath to try it as they feel the way they have been eating for years is best for them
So as we stand now we know LCHF can control BS but as to the long term effects good or bad or any less complications in low carbers nothing will be known about that for a long time yet and thats obviously why DN's are not allowed to really say much about it

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I once had a slow cooked Mallorcan dish, it had been 24 hours in the oven at a very low temperature and although it looked solid, it was quite moist and tasted wonderful. I think it was based on a Mallorcan Tumbet but either with some lamb or some chicken in it. It was quite simply delicious and I wish I could remember what it was. It was one of these rustic country dished where there is something on the go all the time because no one ever knew when the workers would return from the fields so mealtimes could never be exact. These types of dish are fantastic for type 2 diabetics.

LOL, the longest I've ever cooked anything is about 5 hours; but, this dish sounds great. Yes, some of the older European recipes are geared towards the worker's needs. No microwaves for reheats and left-overs back then, so, they actually ate much healthier than modern folk.

I cook all meals slowly, especially red meats because it is healthier to have a lower temp, and also the fats and oils congeal much better. That's even for burgers.

For me, this all works out pretty well because out of fear of becoming bored with my meals and having an excuse to "cheat" I am researching and learning so much about new T2 recipes. ;)

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Have I got all this to come? :)

I cant wait till 1st March to see the nurse lol

went to get my first meds today and they informed me I have to have a fasting whatever lol

"Could you not have told me this when I made appointment" says I

"Telling you now" says the Gestapo woman behind the counter

" And how pray tell do I work through the night without food"

"Tough" lol

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I go for bloods pretty much as suits they give me paper l go when able. See if you can do the same so you do it on a night off and stop eating at say 19.30 go at 07.30 thats what l do anyhow.
Only time l couldnt was the awful sugar drink blood thing they did.

If not flexable arrange late afternoon and stop eating 12hs before at work ie 4am 16.00 bloods

Drink water ignore food...l hold onto fact hub had to do a 72hr fasting in hosp for tests and the cretins kept trying to give him food and drink despite 3 HUGE signs saying nil by mouth. (except water)

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
thankfully I start at 1800 so I have a few hours to get some scran, my Appointment is at 08.10 following morning so I can do it just annoys me that they assume everyone works 9 till 5 and knows what all this is about. HELLO I'M NEW TO THIS lol