Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking through the forum I was sorry to hear how some of you met a rather closed response from your health professionals .About a year ago I began working with a group of 19 pre-diabetic and type two diabetic patients (insulin dependant patients were not included) who were interested in maximising the benefits of a good diet and wanted to try a lower carb, higher fat diet. I thought if I could get the work published by a reputable peer reviewed journal you would then have something to share with your doctors,nurses and dieticians. I am particularly interested in the goal of maximising the effect of diet BEFORE starting medication and find many patients agree.
I have just heard the work is to be published in March. The idea is that after the article is published by Practical Diabetes it will be free to view for you all

THE RESULTS : Weight and HbA1c down significantly ,also improvements in blood pressure,liver function tests and interestingly cholesterol despite a diet higher in fats (coconut oil ,butter,olive oil and lots of eggs) Publication is due in a few weeks will see then if I can upload an abstract and a link to the entire thing. Over the last year I have come to feel that the starch in bread, pasta (even whole meal) rice and potatoes is actually concentrated sugar, with a higher glycemic index than table sugar itself. So no surprise that diabetics may struggle to deal with these items in their diet. It seems to me that HOWEVER any particular patient looses weight their diabetes improves. This can lead to some rather stark choices between weight loss and medication!

Going 'online' has its pitfalls. last year my children thought it was hilarious that some of you thought I was a troll, that has now been sorted out. Another is that it's not really ethical for a doctor to give specific advice which is why I cannot answer questions relating to an individual case -sorry. My hope was that the work could help inform the debate between people with diabetes and the health professionals who care for them.
This made me really, really happy! Give us a link to the abstract as soon as possible! Do you plan on any long-term follow-up for your group?

As Modesty says, get in contact with Dr Eenfeldt, dietdoctor.com. He will love this.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I hope they do Paul because I would really like to know how they did there is so little information about it
I've actually gained a little weight since going LCHF. I wouldn't say I was skinny, but I've never been overweight. My BMI was 22 when I started in early 2008 and is now 23. My blood sugar was never frighteningly high - mostly 6-7 fasting and 12-13 at its highest random test. LCHF brought my daytime bloods down to normal within a week. It took co-enzyme Q10 to bring down my fasting level, but that's because my db is associated with a coQ10 deficiency.

I'm not sure whether you're T1 or T2, but if you're T2 and skinny you might think about being tested for monogenic (MODY) or mitochondrial diabetes.

Dr Bernstein recommends LCHF for all types.

Hope this helps,
Kate

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
it will be an interesting study, as it's the third report of success this year by southport gp with his work on diabetic diet in the past year, but this is by far the most successful, as it seems to be a 100% claimed improvement.
It stands to become even more famous than the Newcastle diet.
I've already subscribed to Practical Diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

I've actually gained a little weight since going LCHF. I wouldn't say I was skinny, but I've never been overweight. My BMI was 22 when I started in early 2008 and is now 23. My blood sugar was never frighteningly high - mostly 6-7 fasting and 12-13 at its highest random test. LCHF brought my daytime bloods down to normal within a week. It took co-enzyme Q10 to bring down my fasting level, but that's because my db is associated with a coQ10 deficiency.

I'm not sure whether you're T1 or T2, but if you're T2 and skinny you might think about being tested for monogenic (MODY) or mitochondrial diabetes.

Hope this helps,
Kate

I am prediabetic and have been for last three years my fasting tests are high 6's so my GP says not yet diabetic I do test a couple of times a day usually down in the 5's and 6's two hours after a meal

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Hope this helps,
Kate

What lowered your Q10 to bring on diabetes?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find this very interesting I am a very skinny type 2 I am about 5 ft 0 and weigh 43.5 k I was diagnosed aged 66 my mother had db and my younger brother also has db I try to lc hf and am keeping my HbA1c at about 6.8 but I do struggle to keep eating enough I am taking 2000mgs of Metformin per day and I know this is an appetite supressant but I dont want to take more medication so basically rock and hard place
CAROL

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find this very interesting I am a very skinny type 2 I am about 5 ft 0 and weigh 43.5 k I was diagnosed aged 66 my mother had db and my younger brother also has db I try to lc hf and am keeping my HbA1c at about 6.8 but I do struggle to keep eating enough I am taking 2000mgs of Metformin per day and I know this is an appetite supressant but I dont want to take more medication so basically rock and hard place
CAROL

Two of his studies he did claim weight loss in the participants, but not much info on his third yet, as far as I am aware. Hopefully this one will lead onto the others.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Annie and Carty-
There's a few pages in Life Without Bread about effects on thin people. They say the program augments anabolic processes that contribute to increased body mass in the form of bone density, muscle and connective tissue. But this takes some time and there is usually weightloss in the first few months in thin people. As you continue to eat the nutrients needed to build tissue- fat and protein- eventually you will gain weight over a period of 1 to 2 years.

Southport GP- A for effort, whatever your results, Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks.

jonty1

Southport GP extremely happy that your work is to be published next month. Let's hope this work will be recognised here in Merseyside and to every one of us. I was diagnosed in June 2013 type 2, diet controlled and still am. started on this forum straight away. heard of the LCHF diet and this is the diet I use. I am very slim and have always been. started the diet lost a lot of weight initially but now this is stabilising back to normal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 1 who went lchf in August 13. I've list almost 4 stone. My peaks and troughs are so much less extreme.
The best is knowing I am not going to go low because I've overcompensated for a bowl of pasta.
I miss toast but other than that I feel the best I've ever felt and my last hba1c was 6.5% in old money. Hoping to beat that I. The next one. I also know that it wasn't based on massive highs and dangerous lows.

Look forward to hearing about your research. (I'm also from Sefton!)
Mrs Vimes

If you are missing toast, try baking an almond flour muffin. Sorry to go off topic, but they are very tasty! http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/lowcarbmuffins.htm

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the website looks great. Found this and currently doing a Homer Simpson drooling impression.

Low-Carb Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Xx

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Welcome back Stockport GP, I remember you were treated very badly first time round. Embarrassing stuff, glad you decided to give it another go.
I'm probably one of the few who haven't lost weight on low carb (could do with losing a couple of stone).
It will be interesting to read your findings.
It's not the GP's that you need to get through to, many of us only see a nurse. Its the dieticians who need help.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
What lowered your Q10 to bring on diabetes?
It's not my low coQ10 that caused my db; I have a mitochondrial genetic defect that causes both co-enzyme Q10 deficiency and diabetes, and probably also hyperlipidaemia and possibly migraine and migraine stroke.

I did initially hope when it was diagnosed that it was the co-Q10 deficiency that caused the db, but as soon as I eat carbs my BG rises to diabetic levels again despite co-Q10 supplements.

Kate

Last edited by a moderator:

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would be interested to know if all the 19 people in the trial needed to loose weight or were there any who didn't need to loose.
Most of the talk on here is from people who low carb but also needed to loose weight so us skinnies are very much in the minority if LCHF made us loose more weight this would not be good. Did the trial show what was the best level of carbs to consume as people here vary a lot in how many they eat in a day

Well part of the approach was that though not a diabetic I and several members of the team have been on a low carb higher fat diet for over a year now and although I lost about four pounds (that I needed to loose )at the start my weight has been very stable ever since . For me the benefits have been loss of brain fog and a lot more energy

Reactions: 8 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome back Stockport GP, I remember you were treated very badly first time round. Embarrassing stuff, glad you decided to give it another go.
I'm probably one of the few who haven't lost weight on low carb (could do with losing a couple of stone).
It will be interesting to read your findings.
It's not the GP's that you need to get through to, many of us only see a nurse. Its the dieticians who need help.
Thanks
I notice at the national diabetes conference in two weeks they are having a big debate on 'Is it time to stop telling diabetics to eat carbohydrates ' so I feel the subject is on the move now and won't be stopped

Reactions: 11 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Looking through the forum I was sorry to hear how some of you met a rather closed response from your health professionals .About a year ago I began working with a group of 19 pre-diabetic and type two diabetic patients (insulin dependant patients were not included) who were interested in maximising the benefits of a good diet and wanted to try a lower carb, higher fat diet. I thought if I could get the work published by a reputable peer reviewed journal you would then have something to share with your doctors,nurses and dieticians. I am particularly interested in the goal of maximising the effect of diet BEFORE starting medication and find many patients agree.
I have just heard the work is to be published in March. The idea is that after the article is published by Practical Diabetes it will be free to view for you all

THE RESULTS : Weight and HbA1c down significantly ,also improvements in blood pressure,liver function tests and interestingly cholesterol despite a diet higher in fats (coconut oil ,butter,olive oil and lots of eggs) Publication is due in a few weeks will see then if I can upload an abstract and a link to the entire thing. Over the last year I have come to feel that the starch in bread, pasta (even whole meal) rice and potatoes is actually concentrated sugar, with a higher glycemic index than table sugar itself. So no surprise that diabetics may struggle to deal with these items in their diet. It seems to me that HOWEVER any particular patient looses weight their diabetes improves. This can lead to some rather stark choices between weight loss and medication!

Going 'online' has its pitfalls. last year my children thought it was hilarious that some of you thought I was a troll, that has now been sorted out. Another is that it's not really ethical for a doctor to give specific advice which is why I cannot answer questions relating to an individual case -sorry. My hope was that the work could help inform the debate between people with diabetes and the health professionals who care for them.

Logic and a knowledge of biochemistry say that carbs Must be controlled. Many people are advised to control sugars, but too many HCPs[ including dieticians!] don't seem to know the molecular structure of starches or how fast they are broken down. The huge numbers of people who have trouble with grains, particularly wheat, supports my idea that we are not meant to base our eating around these foods.. Now that Paleo is gaining a lot of interest, along with the work of Dr. John Yudkin, I hope your paper gets the right kind of interest from the medical professions.
Hana

Reactions: 7 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Get in touch with dietdoctor - Andreas Eenfeldt (Swedish GP with special interest in diet, and diabetes), he'll be happy tospread world all over Scandinavia and further.
I think the Scandanavians are way ahead of us in this and have shown the only longer term study of the diet I'm aware of -four years

Reactions: 3 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Logic and a knowledge of biochemistry say that carbs Must be controlled. Many people are advised to control sugars, but too many HCPs[ including dieticians!] don't seem to know the molecular structure of starches or how fast they are broken down. The huge numbers of people who have trouble with grains, particularly wheat, supports my idea that we are not meant to base our eating around these foods.. Now that Paleo is gaining a lot of interest, along with the work of Dr. John Yudkin, I hope your paper gets the right kind of interest from the medical professions.
Hana
thanks Yes I keep pointing out that it's a basic fact - starch is concentrated sugar It's how plants store glucose !!

Reactions: 5 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The interesting thing for me will be the olive oil/butter.
I'm very keen to target my cholesterol, and I want to look at the unsaturated/saturated fats arguments.
This is such a hot debate at present Dr Malhotra in the British Medical Journal has cast some doubt on the whole cholesterol heart disease thing - but for your interest despite all the eggs and a higher fat diet the cholesterol tended to go down not up as weight fell

Reactions: 9 people