1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Southport GP, Feb 17, 2014.

1. tonyS54

tonyS54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to the forum, it's not often we see a dietitian who's prepared to go against the grain and promote low carb. There are many of us here who can testify to the benefits.
    Hope to see posting more in the future:)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Southport GP

Southport GP HCP · Well-Known Member
    Verified HCP

THANKYOU so much for that I know I have had two letters already from 'dismayed ' dieticians and my work isn't even published till Monday ! I'm confused as to why they are so unhappy by a story of 18 people improving their lives with a low carb diet Better HbA1c better BP better cholesterol better weight !!

• Like Like x 18
  3. Janiept

Janiept · Expert

Presumably because their long held beliefs are being challenged and they will have to adapt to a different system.
    People just don't like change!

• Like Like x 2
  4. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

That's brilliant news! I lived for a while in a part of Australia rather less open to change (FNQ) and was told the only possible diet was low GI because it had been invented at University of Queensland. Since following it entailed absolutely no change to my eating pattern I did follow it for a while, with a predictable lack of change in my BG. Keep up the good work!

Kate

5. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

have i entered the twilight zone? a doctor AND a dietitian that believe in low carbing, both living in the same dimension as normal folks??? somebody pinch me

• Like Like x 6
    #65 Andy12345, Mar 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  6. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. Andy12345

ouch! :wideyed:

just a figure of speech dude!

:D

8. Mushroom

Mushroom · Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the research but think it will tell me what I already now. I have been LCHF for over two years. Cholesterol went up initially but now total is down. Trigs down and HDL up at latest review. I also believe blood sugars would improve with loss of weight and smaller portions if you are overweight. However, the fat in the diet helps you feel full, cravings reduced and easy to do because don't really need to count calories/carbs - easy. Have just posted that my DSN is surprised/pleased at my stats and asked me what I eat on LCHF. She seems open to listening as she doesn't seem to be getting very far with getting the majority of her patients to improve their own results. This forum gave me the confidence to 'go against' NHS recommendations for carbs with every meal.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Andy12345

we already know the truth (as we believe it) its exciting because others will learn about how good it is, thats why its so good :) just being given the opportunity to try it would be terrific step imo

10. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Will it be published so that anyone can read it or just the abstract for us on here? I feel I might need some evidence of LCHF for my DSN to take notice. I will see her on Thursday.

I also hope you are in contact with Dr Eenfeldt. He will want to read your article as soon as possible. I am sure you are in contact with the Dietdoctor, aren't you?

11. Mushroom

The change regarding eating fat is already coming. Article in the Daily Mail today about fat and sugar consumption and obesity hits the nail on the head.

• Like Like x 2
  12. wizardo

wizardo · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed over a year ago, I went on a pretty well zero carb, high fat diet. Plenty of vegetables and berries in the evening. Lost about 3 stone and the diabetic nurse was shocked to see my bg go from 15 to 6.5. Incidentally, I was swimming/gyming virtually every day. Bear in mind that you can replace the flab with muscle and stop the weight loss. Benefit of this is to reduce insulin resistance. One problem that I do have is that my cholesterol levels have gone up considerably. The diabetic nurse has prescribed statins which I'm not too keen on. I'm not impressed with the diabetic nurses their knowledge of chemistry/biology seems to be sub GCSE. Maybe someone on here might provide me with an idea why with lowering my bg my cholesterol has increased significantly.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Borninafrica

Borninafrica Type 2 · Newbie

Thank goodness something is being put out there for GPs to pay attention to. From my experience, it seems as though GPs are satisfied with treating the symptoms and not interested in looking after the actual 'health' of their patients. Had I been fortunate enough to have an enlightened GP nine years ago, I, hopefully, wouldn't have spent my life swallowing ever more drugs to treat every symptom that is a precursor of Type 2. Am about to embark on a lifestyle of LCHF. So much conversation out there about diet and lifestyle changes that bring about positive change in Type 2. A book that made a lot of sense for me and is what I'm basing my LCHF way of eating is 'The Real Meal Revolution' by Prof Tim Noakes. He is also Type 2. I look forward to reading your research. Thank you, Nigel.

14. Mud Island Dweller

Mud Island Dweller Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wizardo l am similar you need to get a breakdown of your cholestrol. lf you do a google for low carb high fat and cholestrol. If like me your profile will follow that.
    The LDL goes big and fluffy and acts as a cleaner on carbs it is tight sticky and dangerous.
    the only way to tell what ldl you have is a more expensive test but l am happy that as my profile matches what papers and others say l have safe cholestrol.
    l also remember reading that it takes at least 6 months for cholestrol to come down.
    And also it isnt cholestrol that is counted but the carriers of it. Every time l read a bit more my head swims a bit more but it is actually quite interesting subject. Sorry l am not good at explaining it but as l say google but make sure you have your full numbers

Oh and l flatly refuse statins the dn was interested in all the cholestrol info l took in the other day for my check up

15. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've lost a lot of weight on lchf. I've got to see the diabetes nurse to explain the increase in my cholesterol levels. (6.9)
    My trigs have decreased from 0.7 to 0.6, my HDL increased from 1.6 to 1.7.
    Just looking at trigs and HDL i look good?
    But apparently weight loss has a funny affect and the test shouldn't be taken seriously until you have had 6 months of maintained weight.
    From my research on the web - no medical training.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

16. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

Do you know what your cholesterol ratio is? That's HDL as a proportion of total cholesterol. My GP put me on statins because my total cholesterol was high, but the consultant said they weren't necessary because my ratio was excellent.

Kate

• Like Like x 2
  17. Southport GP

Verified HCP

Thanks it was actually published in paper form today - I am negotiating for open access for you all, it would give you something to show your health care professionals and includes a diet sheet for discussion

• Like Like x 7
  18. Southport GP

Verified HCP

My main aim was to give you something in a proper peer reviewed journal article to back you up with your doctors nurses ,dieticians

• Like Like x 7
  19. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you just put up the diet sheet if you can't get the paper up, that would be good to see.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mushroom

Saying 'but it won't tell me something I already know' didn't quite come over as intended. Not a criticism at all but I suppose I was trying to say that reading comments on here and actually practicing LCHF, it seems so obvious to me that it was going to work. I do find it difficult that DSNs don't seem to see this. There must be other LCHF patients showing results to their DSNs. Unfortunately, my DSN seems to have patients who don't attempt to control their BS even with diet and exercise in the early stages. Perhaps, that is her experience of what the majority of Type 2 patients are like.
    At the end of the day, I make the final decision about what course of treatment I am happier following and that responsibility is mine alone. I am not afraid to voice my opinions to my DSN. However, not everyone feels that confident and your study will help people initiate that conversation with their health care team. Hope you are able to sort access for us on here.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook