Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I went for portion controlled, calorie counting, I lost 4 stone, and now have normal bs readings. I obviously want to continue with my resultse, so if a lchf have a decent trial against this, it's going to be an interesting read. Normally it's extremes of both lf, and lc that are spun out by the media, so a decent clinical trail against a "normal" control group is going to be worth seeing.
I think the evidence is that however weight is lost diabetic controll improves So there are many roads to Damascus It's just that many folk seem to struggle with calorie counting but it does work

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think the evidence is that however weight is lost diabetic controll improves So there are many roads to Damascus It's just that many folk seem to struggle with calorie counting but it does work

Did you put patients on both calorie counting, and lchf then.
I agree both seem to work equally from the anecdotal evidence by the different posters on here.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Good luck with your study Dr Southport GP I'll be interested in reading the results. I do lchf it reduced my hba1c by 6% in 3 months normalised my cholesterol and blood pressure and I lost 4 stone in six months while never feeling particularly hungry. The more gps who recognise it's potential the better. It saves eyes limbs and lives so evangelise as much as you can.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Oh and I hope you have a similar progressive outlook on test strips as many of us think they are just as important as diet. A good supply in the first few months after diagnosis is also a lifesaver.

Reactions: 6 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good luck with your study Dr Southport GP I'll be interested in reading the results. I do lchf it reduced my hba1c by 6% in 3 months normalised my cholesterol and blood pressure and I lost 4 stone in six months while never feeling particularly hungry. The more gps who recognise it's potential the better. It saves eyes limbs and lives so evangelise as much as you can.

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's a great result Interesting that the BP and cholesterol came down too -we noticed that often happens as does an improvement in liver function .

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you put patients on both calorie counting, and lchf then.
I agree both seem to work equally from the anecdotal evidence by the different posters on here.
We didn't as the volunteers were interested in the lchf diet and liked not having to weigh anything, I think it's fair to say they had mostly tried calorie counting in the past . One of them explained 'a diet is a thing you are on and so eventually come off, thelow carb approach is not a diet but a way of life ' which I think put it rather well

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We didn't as the volunteers were interested in the lchf diet and liked not having to weigh anything, I think it's fair to say they had mostly tried calorie counting in the past . One of them explained 'a diet is a thing you are on and so eventually come off, thelow carb approach is not a diet but a way of life ' which I think put it rather well

I'm sure it'll be interesting reading either way.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Thanks
I notice at the national diabetes conference in two weeks they are having a big debate on 'Is it time to stop telling diabetics to eat carbohydrates ' so I feel the subject is on the move now and won't be stopped
THREE CHEERS!!
Great news.

Reactions: 7 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
This is such a hot debate at present Dr Malhotra in the British Medical Journal has cast some doubt on the whole cholesterol heart disease thing - but for your interest despite all the eggs and a higher fat diet the cholesterol tended to go down not up as weight fell
Sounds like a revolutionary breakthrough.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is such a hot debate at present Dr Malhotra in the British Medical Journal has cast some doubt on the whole cholesterol heart disease thing - but for your interest despite all the eggs and a higher fat diet the cholesterol tended to go down not up as weight fell

Dr Malhotra wrote the article as an "opinion piece", not a study, but I can't access it on the BMJ unfortunately to have a read of it all.
But in the end didn't he advocate banning "added" sugars, and recommend the Mediterranean diet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
LCHF has been a saviour to me and many others,It's so refreshing to see another HCP with blue sky thinking and that is prepared to go against the old dogma on dietary advice for diabetics and put their head above the parapet so to speak.:)

I for one,look forward to your posts,now and in the future.

Paul
interestingly I find there is a definite change in the air over some dieticians opinion on this - particularly from Kings college Hospital in London - and Diabetes UK are starting to look at it now!

Reactions: 6 people

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been doing LCHF for a long time, but with increased exercise (for 800 kcal swims a week) my weight has increased. I think that the problem is that I fixed the carb too low and upped my fat. With experimentation I have fixed my carb intake at 100g per day and my weight has fallen significantly. I suspect that for each individual there is an opimum level of fat/carb balance. At 30g of carb per day, I start pecking away at blocks of cheese.

Jo123

Yes Andy I don't really know if I went LCHF if I would loose any more weight but there does not seem to be any statistics or information at all as to how LCHF affects people who do not need to loose weight I have read plenty on here from the low carbers who needed to loose weight but not read anything from a low carber who did not need to loose weight when they started the LCHF diet
If I needed to loose weight I would have no hesitation on doing low carb but if it meant loosing more weight then that worries me so I would like more information about that
Hi Annie,
I was prediabetic according to my blood test and was not overweight in that my BMI was normal. I did lose some weight at the beginning but now I am fairly static at about 9 stone 8 at 5ft 8 ins tall. I am happy with this weight although I have to say my stomach is still a bit flabby! I snack on loads of nuts, as when I first low carbed my ldl and my triglycerides increased! But my HBaic is normal now, though I still low carb.

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed I went right into low carb and brought my glucose levels down so well I was told I didn't need metformin as long as I continued using low carb.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Thanks
I notice at the national diabetes conference in two weeks they are having a big debate on 'Is it time to stop telling diabetics to eat carbohydrates ' so I feel the subject is on the move now and won't be stopped

Now that is very exciting indeed. I wonder how long it will take for that info, when (not if) it becomes official guidelines, to filter through to NZ though ;)

Thanks for this post and power to the people!!

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm really glad to have come across this forum and also look forward to seeing the results when published. I'm a dietitian from the south coast NSW and have been using a lower carb approach for clients with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome for over 10 years. Before that I followed the usual 'healthy eating' guidelines but the personal experience of having a child with a weight problem changed everything for me. She was diagnosed with IR at 14 yo and has been eating low carb for the last 6-7 years. I have the support of GPs in my area because of the results they see in their clients but unfortunately the most negative responses come from dietitians. There may be more who use low carb but are not open about it because they are unwilling to face the backlash.

Reactions: 14 people

lizzief

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as Type2 in late September of last year and after 2 weeks on the high carb diet I'd been told to follow I found this forum and I'd say that was the evening that changed, if not saved, my life. I found out about testing and low carb diets so I started both. I weighed 120KG, had hypertension, raised cholesterol, possible early renal damage and a 12% HbA1c. By the end of December, 10 weeks into the LCHF diet, I'd lowered my BP to 125/70, my cholesterol level was well within a normal range and the signs of renal problems had gone. My HbA1c was down to 6.2%. My weight today is 95kg. In real terms, that means that in 4 months I've dropped from wearing a size 28 dress and a BMI of 44.7 to a size 18 and a 35.9 BMI which is still far too high but a whole heap better than it was.

My GP has said he will halve my Metformin at the next review if all's still well, with a view to stopping it completely at the following one. But he and the DN at the practice still insist that I'm an anomaly, that their high carb advice is what works and that I 'didn't give it a fair chance'. I gave it more than a fair chance because from the way my body reacted to losing the carb intake, I'm sure it was the 'healthy eating' advice that made me fat and diabetic in the first place.

Thank you to Southport GP, low carb dietitian and any other HCPs who are listening, researching and swimming against the tide by speaking out. We need more like you.

Reactions: 12 people

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the end we all do what we think is right for us. I have low carbed by accident as I was doing this to reduce calories to lose wieght. I could not see how to do this without low carbing. High fat I don't understand. Good fat I do. Butter I don't. But then again I don't do butter anyway. I think because we cannot follow a clear set of rules for all of us because we are all different we end up doing what does not make us spike and if we have high cholesterol and triglocerides and had a heart stack and all that stuff we go a route that works for us. Well at least we do if we can test. I have the luxury of being able to do this. So what about pill??? That's my next one to tackle. Not ready in the head for that yet. No side effects so in no hurry. Yeh yeh I know I could be having them but don't know bit the head is not in the right place yet.