1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Southport GP, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This made me really, really happy! Give us a link to the abstract as soon as possible! Do you plan on any long-term follow-up for your group?

As Modesty says, get in contact with Dr Eenfeldt, dietdoctor.com. He will love this.

2. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

Yes I hope they do Paul because I would really like to know how they did there is so little information about it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

I've actually gained a little weight since going LCHF. I wouldn't say I was skinny, but I've never been overweight. My BMI was 22 when I started in early 2008 and is now 23. My blood sugar was never frighteningly high - mostly 6-7 fasting and 12-13 at its highest random test. LCHF brought my daytime bloods down to normal within a week. It took co-enzyme Q10 to bring down my fasting level, but that's because my db is associated with a coQ10 deficiency.

I'm not sure whether you're T1 or T2, but if you're T2 and skinny you might think about being tested for monogenic (MODY) or mitochondrial diabetes.

Dr Bernstein recommends LCHF for all types.

Hope this helps,
    Kate

• Like Like x 4
  4. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

it will be an interesting study, as it's the third report of success this year by southport gp with his work on diabetic diet in the past year, but this is by far the most successful, as it seems to be a 100% claimed improvement.
    It stands to become even more famous than the Newcastle diet.
    I've already subscribed to Practical Diabetes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

I am prediabetic and have been for last three years my fasting tests are high 6's so my GP says not yet diabetic I do test a couple of times a day usually down in the 5's and 6's two hours after a meal

6. douglas99

What lowered your Q10 to bring on diabetes?

7. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find this very interesting I am a very skinny type 2 I am about 5 ft 0 and weigh 43.5 k I was diagnosed aged 66 my mother had db and my younger brother also has db I try to lc hf and am keeping my HbA1c at about 6.8 but I do struggle to keep eating enough I am taking 2000mgs of Metformin per day and I know this is an appetite supressant but I dont want to take more medication so basically rock and hard place
    CAROL

8. douglas99

Two of his studies he did claim weight loss in the participants, but not much info on his third yet, as far as I am aware. Hopefully this one will lead onto the others.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Annie and Carty-
    There's a few pages in Life Without Bread about effects on thin people. They say the program augments anabolic processes that contribute to increased body mass in the form of bone density, muscle and connective tissue. But this takes some time and there is usually weightloss in the first few months in thin people. As you continue to eat the nutrients needed to build tissue- fat and protein- eventually you will gain weight over a period of 1 to 2 years.

Southport GP- A for effort, whatever your results, Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks.

10. jonty1

jonty1 · Member

Southport GP extremely happy that your work is to be published next month. Let's hope this work will be recognised here in Merseyside and to every one of us. I was diagnosed in June 2013 type 2, diet controlled and still am. started on this forum straight away. heard of the LCHF diet and this is the diet I use. I am very slim and have always been. started the diet lost a lot of weight initially but now this is stabilising back to normal.

11. Charles Robin

Charles Robin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you are missing toast, try baking an almond flour muffin. Sorry to go off topic, but they are very tasty! http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/lowcarbmuffins.htm

12. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the website looks great. Found this and currently doing a Homer Simpson drooling impression.

Low-Carb Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Xx

13. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome back Stockport GP, I remember you were treated very badly first time round. Embarrassing stuff, glad you decided to give it another go.
    I'm probably one of the few who haven't lost weight on low carb (could do with losing a couple of stone).
    It will be interesting to read your findings.
    It's not the GP's that you need to get through to, many of us only see a nurse. Its the dieticians who need help.

• Like Like x 2
  14. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

It's not my low coQ10 that caused my db; I have a mitochondrial genetic defect that causes both co-enzyme Q10 deficiency and diabetes, and probably also hyperlipidaemia and possibly migraine and migraine stroke.

I did initially hope when it was diagnosed that it was the co-Q10 deficiency that caused the db, but as soon as I eat carbs my BG rises to diabetic levels again despite co-Q10 supplements.

Kate

#34 kesun, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  15. Southport GP

Southport GP HCP · Well-Known Member
    Verified HCP

Well part of the approach was that though not a diabetic I and several members of the team have been on a low carb higher fat diet for over a year now and although I lost about four pounds (that I needed to loose )at the start my weight has been very stable ever since . For me the benefits have been loss of brain fog and a lot more energy

• Like Like x 8
  16. Southport GP

Verified HCP

Thanks
    I notice at the national diabetes conference in two weeks they are having a big debate on 'Is it time to stop telling diabetics to eat carbohydrates ' so I feel the subject is on the move now and won't be stopped

• Like Like x 11
  17. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Logic and a knowledge of biochemistry say that carbs Must be controlled. Many people are advised to control sugars, but too many HCPs[ including dieticians!] don't seem to know the molecular structure of starches or how fast they are broken down. The huge numbers of people who have trouble with grains, particularly wheat, supports my idea that we are not meant to base our eating around these foods.. Now that Paleo is gaining a lot of interest, along with the work of Dr. John Yudkin, I hope your paper gets the right kind of interest from the medical professions.
    Hana

• Like Like x 7
  18. Southport GP

Verified HCP

I think the Scandanavians are way ahead of us in this and have shown the only longer term study of the diet I'm aware of -four years

• Like Like x 3
  19. Southport GP

Verified HCP

thanks Yes I keep pointing out that it's a basic fact - starch is concentrated sugar It's how plants store glucose !!

• Like Like x 5
  20. Southport GP

Verified HCP

This is such a hot debate at present Dr Malhotra in the British Medical Journal has cast some doubt on the whole cholesterol heart disease thing - but for your interest despite all the eggs and a higher fat diet the cholesterol tended to go down not up as weight fell

• Like Like x 9
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook