Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was well chuffed considering I got a stinking cold with a bad chest at 3am it was 5.8 and at 8 am it was 6.3

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocado - I seem to be fairly lucky to be able to drive my levels lower over the almost 5 months I have been diagnosed. Although I don't take any medication, nor do I ever snack. I can't recall the last time I had a snack and I have a pudding perhaps once every couple of months? I have the odd glass of red wine, but otherwise I eat my meals, so my bloods will only be (potentially) raised three times a day when I eat. I'm discounting the odd cup of tea, with milk, to be fair.

I have reduced my carb intake, and average 90g of carbs a day, although, to be fair, sometimes it can be much lower. I defy most usual diabetic experience and have rolled oats for breakfast, which, with semi-skimmed milk and some added fibre, comes to 40g alone.

It took almost 3 months to get anything below 5, fasting, but now it's pretty stable, lower. I'm happy.

Reactions: 2 people

michelle88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.7 yesterday and 5.2 today (without basal insulin), I won't complain. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I eat a low carb dinner or if I exercise the night before. Probably will only rarely be in the 4's again, unless I take basal insulin, which I try as much as possible not to. Wonder how my levels will be once I start the metformin!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Avocado - I seem to be fairly lucky to be able to drive my levels lower over the almost 5 months I have been diagnosed. Although I don't take any medication, nor do I ever snack. I can't recall the last time I had a snack and I have a pudding perhaps once every couple of months? I have the odd glass of red wine, but otherwise I eat my meals, so my bloods will only be (potentially) raised three times a day when I eat. I'm discounting the odd cup of tea, with milk, to be fair.

I have reduced my carb intake, and average 90g of carbs a day, although, to be fair, sometimes it can be much lower. I defy most usual diabetic experience and have rolled oats for breakfast, which, with semi-skimmed milk and some added fibre, comes to 40g alone.

It took almost 3 months to get anything below 5, fasting, but now it's pretty stable, lower. I'm happy.

Thanks AndBreathe :) I will try to have a textbook good week this week.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AndBreathe :) I will try to have a textbook good week this week.

I wasn't suggesting you might be transgressing in any way in my post, just explaining that my usual way of eating is quite "regular". It certainly won't suit everyone, but nor does the HF element of LCHF suit me and my body. We all have to find a way forward we can maintain. Who knows if I may fall spectacularly off the wagon at some stage. I hope not to, but I have an open mind, and a bit of a fear of cake!!

This whole diabetes is a bit trial and error to begin with, and the curved balls occasionally bowled set the mind racing. It's a constant, and vigilant challenge.

Anyway, by way of a change, my fasting reading this morning was........... 4.3.

Reactions: 3 people

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.7 This morning. Fairly typical, although I did have a 5.6 last week. Bizarrely, my morning readings are normally higher than my readings 2 hours after my main meal...

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 This morning. Fairly typical, although I did have a 5.6 last week. Bizarrely, my morning readings are normally higher than my readings 2 hours after my main meal...

I get the same... largest readings of the day are on wakeup :¬( - usualy if I woke up with raging thirst and very hot head (no idea whats that's all about)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I wasn't suggesting you might be transgressing in any way in my post, just explaining that my usual way of eating is quite "regular". It certainly won't suit everyone, but nor does the HF element of LCHF suit me and my body. We all have to find a way forward we can maintain. Who knows if I may fall spectacularly off the wagon at some stage. I hope not to, but I have an open mind, and a bit of a fear of cake!!

This whole diabetes is a bit trial and error to begin with, and the curved balls occasionally bowled set the mind racing. It's a constant, and vigilant challenge.

Anyway, by way of a change, my fasting reading this morning was........... 4.3.

No worries. I didn't read it that way at all. I was just thinking that maybe I need to refocus this week.

I have found your posts very reassuring. You say it took a few months to settle below 5. Maybe I am just being impatient. Well done on another low 4 :)

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.4 :( unfortunately. In the past few months mine has suddenly increased from around 7 which it has been for about the last 5 years. I'm on 2g Metformin and 100mg Sitagliptin a day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 this morning. Postprandial yesterday evening was 3.9 (4.1 preprandial), so no real clue why I rose 0.6 on a "trusted" meal. There was a tiny bit of apple in the salad, but we're talking about a small Granny Smith in a salad of around 4 portions.

Just one of those things, I think, or my liver made a contribution.

As someone told me many years ago, in another context; sometimes it's just not possible to understand absolutely everything. One day I might give in to that. ;)

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AndBreathe: don't forget that meters are not accurate. Both readings may well have been the same. also a difference of 0.6 is minimal IMHO.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.1 this morning, it's been in the 5s lately, despite 'nibbling' as I read in bed until about 1am. Puzzling really!

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning. Still don't quite get this... Last night I had a 50g carb meal of chicken and pasta with no alcohol. Was 6.2 after 1 hour and 5.0 after 2 hours. So I must still have a reasonable pancreas, but it seems to be a bit lazy overnight. Anyone got any ideas?

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning.
think my 'manflu' is virtually gone so hoping for it to come steadily down.

Diagnosed 11/09/13 hba1c 76
16/12/13 hba1c 46

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Caterham - I found pretty much the same with pasta. I was happy in the immediacy, then had raised levels for 48 hours. I haven't tried it again for a while, and I don't miss it, but One day I will, in a controlled fashion.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 for me this morning.

Ria - your comments are, of course, quite right. As my background is scientific, I like to understand variances, which with diabetes isn't always so easy. :mad:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 this morning. Still don't quite get this... Last night I had a 50g carb meal of chicken and pasta with no alcohol. Was 6.2 after 1 hour and 5.0 after 2 hours. So I must still have a reasonable pancreas, but it seems to be a bit lazy overnight. Anyone got any ideas?

The whole point of a 12 hour fasting blood glucose test is let your BG levels drop to aruond 4.0 at which point a homeostatic process will kick in and gluconeogenesis occurs to prevent hypoglycaemia, the so called liver dump. When you eat at night and don't have the full 12 hour fast, you may be testing quite close to the point where gluconeogenesis has occured. I usually test other fingers if I get such an unexpectedly high reading and mostly, other fingers can have very different readings.

When glucose is produced by the body's own resources and added to the blood, it doesn't evenly mix and it takes about an hour to spread around. Because of the way blood circulates, during this phase, one finger can be 1 to 2 points different from another. If it worries you, test another finger and/or give it an hour without eating and test again. You'll start to get a better idea of what is going on.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.