So bleeping angry with my gp!!!!!!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I had exactly the same issue 6 weeks ago but all my prescriptions were stopped a lot of noise was made hospital was rung phone lines rung off the hook at GPS surgery etc eventually got a call from the practice manager and had an appt the next morning, it seems the case rightly or wrongly that those that shout the loudest actually get things done stick at it they cannot do what they are doing

Good luck xx

Reactions: 2 people

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ahhhh this has happened to me so many times! I once ended up sat in A&E for over 4 hours because the doctors were refusing to give me strips or insulin!

At the start of April, I was called by my surgery and told I needed to go in for a review (which I kindly told them I'd already had one in February, as well as 6-8 weekly consultant appointments at the hospital) and that I wouldn't be able to put in for any of my medication until I had. They then told me there were no appointments until 8/05 - I was down to my last 150 units of insulin so no way that was gonna work. I called up later on that day and asked for a telephone appointment with my nurse who called me back and was shocked at what I'd been told and did me a script straight away and also got me in the next day for a review but without bloods. Maybe try asking for a doctor/your nurse to call you and see if you can sort it over the phone?

Alternatively, if you use the same pharmacy regularly, they are able to dispense items as an emergency and you can owe them the script. I do it quite often as I have a lot of problems with my doctors surgery -_- hey, at least I know it's not just me now though?!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If the receptionist asks if it is anemergency.. Say yes.
You do not have to explain anything to a receptionist when phoning through.
Your GP'smay do a phone back service like ours do, so if push cones to shove any GP should be able to just do a script for you.

If you get no where with these two routes then do ask to speak to the Practice Manager regarding a complaint. Do not elaborate until you speak to the Manager.

Above all else despite annoyance, I do have to say that a mellow, controlled tone in voice and wording rather than irate... Its just that they will see you as a calm controlled person that is well able to take things further should the complaint not be resolved satifactorily...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 7 people

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update. ........receptionist manager has just put the phone down on me! Yes I did stay calm. She said that the dr will not give more strips until ive seen the nurse as they have to know im looking after my diabetes. I said I can't do that with no strips. ..she said I had a pot of strips a few days ago...a pot of 50, so couldn't see my problem. ...my problem is I have sickness and diarrhoea bug atm and I have 30 left but need to know im not going to run out. I've said that surely they cannot withold them. She then shouted at me saying that she has printed off a script and will ask dr to sign it, to call back this afternoon but if he agrees that I can't have them then so be it, its not her fault and put the phone down. ..ive honestly never experienced this before. Im going to change drs. I am so upset its unreal. :'(

H

Hooked

Update. ........receptionist manager has just put the phone down on me! Yes I did stay calm. She said that the dr will not give more strips until ive seen the nurse as they have to know im looking after my diabetes. I said I can't do that with no strips. ..she said I had a pot of strips a few days ago...a pot of 50, so couldn't see my problem. ...my problem is I have sickness and diarrhoea bug atm and I have 30 left but need to know im not going to run out. I've said that surely they cannot withold them. She then shouted at me saying that she has printed off a script and will ask dr to sign it, to call back this afternoon but if he agrees that I can't have them then so be it, its not her fault and put the phone down. ..ive honestly never experienced this before. Im going to change drs. I am so upset its unreal. :'(

That's disgraceful! Def print off the letter and bring it with you when collecting the script. Downright dangerous behaviour on their part.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it's extremely upsetting. I'm afraid they have their petty rules and unfortunately sometimes forget why they are there. The rules are meant to protect patients not to cause them upset and potential harm. It's probably their new computer system, that's when I started getting problems with my surgery. I am sorry you are going through this, I was equally upset when it happened to me.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry you have had further upset about this , how do they expect a pot of 30 strips to last you the time it takes to see the practice nurse ?? They are clearly contraveneing the guidelines for Type 1's whilst rigidly adhereing to the guidelines on repeat scripts :(

Definitely change practices, how can you have confidence in them, given Your negative experiences? Also write a formal complaint letter itemising all that has happened to you, it's probably too late for you except maybe elicit an apology, but it may change things for others who may be doing through the same thing .

This may be helpful to you too, if you want to complain about the way you have been treated :-
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1082.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=153

I hope you feel better soon, and resolve things so it never happens to you again
Signy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I think the majority of members will feel for what you are having to go through. You will probably need even more test strips because of all the upset and stress from your doctor's practice, causing possible higher levels!. Definitely complain, it's unacceptable and unprofessional, the tone of the practice manager is disgraceful, she appears to be saying 'well I have done a flipping script for you, and it wont be my fault if the doctor says no, so there' grrrr,
I have never experienced this myself, never even had a review before. I seriously hope you get a tub of strips later today and something positive comes out of this farce. Take good care and good luck x

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. ..Bloods are high now and im so upset. ......sent my husband there to, hopefully, pick up my stuff....I don't want to burst out crying or effing and blinding at anyone. ...I just want my strips! X

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thing. ...not sure if anyone here can help. ..do I have to have a review at my drs regarding my diabetes? I know that I need my hba etc checked but honestly, its a waste of time. If I have problems or questions, I go to the diabetic centre at Kettering hospital. They have community nurses I see also. I assumed that as it is my condition, surely who I see is up to me? Btw, I have always controlled it well, am waiting for daphne course and am hoping to discuss pump therapy tomorrow. Ive never abused my health so im not refusing treatment, I just thought I could choose which was right for me.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I know what you mean. I get everything checked at hospital and still have to have a "review". with the practice nurse. Long ago she realized that anything she tried to meddle with was swiftly referred back to the consultant and reversed. I suppose they have to do something to justify their salaries!:mad:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget you can buy strips over the counter if you need to short-term; they are not limited to prescriptions

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l would speak to a paper while l hate the media and politicians l would make use of at least 1 ring your local mp tomorrow may just be a lackey on but diabetes is big news at the moment.

Reactions: 3 people