Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hello, i was just reading the statin poll post and someone mentioned frozen shoulder @Pollylocks so i did a search and found it can be a symptom of diabetes, my symptoms are...... a few months ago i started getting a pain that felt like it was in the inside middle of my shoulder but only if i put my arms very high, stretching in the air, this has progressed and its now painful to get dressed or even move it, i had a ct scan he other day and couldn't raise my arms above my head to get them out of the way, if i push myself up out of a chair it hits me like a train and takes about 10 minutes for the pain to subside, i was doing a spiny round thing on my kids skateboard the other day and oh wow the pain was incredible (don't ask why i was doing that lol) so...... if you have experienced frozen shoulder could you tell me if that sounds like it please as the site i looked at stated that the earlier its diagnosed the more successful the treatment will be so i should go to the doc (who i am avoiding)

Thankyou

Reactions: SueO246

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Wow, I hope it's just coincidence Andy but I have had shoulder pain and right arm pain for about 9 weeks now. I've been to docs twice and walk in centre twice. I can't get rid of it. It even wakes me up at night. I went back to see doc a couple of days ago and finally got decent pain killers and physio referral. Hopefully this will lead to a scan. I thought it may have been statins and even stopped taking them. Still a constant niggling pain there now. Didn't click it may be diabetes related !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had frozen shoulder for over a year now and still can't lift my
Left arm up over my head. I believe it goes through 3 Stages each lasting up to 6 months painful stage constant stage and unfreezing stage I must be coming up to the unfreezing stage now but it's still painful. Doctor offered me a cortisone inject pop but at the time the waiting time was 5 weeks so I thought it would be better by then Wrong!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, i was just reading the statin poll post and someone mentioned frozen shoulder @Pollylocks so i did a search and found it can be a symptom of diabetes, my symptoms are...... a few months ago i started getting a pain that felt like it was in the inside middle of my shoulder but only if i put my arms very high, stretching in the air, this has progressed and its now painful to get dressed or even move it, i had a ct scan he other day and couldn't raise my arms above my head to get them out of the way, if i push myself up out of a chair it hits me like a train and takes about 10 minutes for the pain to subside, i was doing a spiny round thing on my kids skateboard the other day and oh wow the pain was incredible (don't ask why i was doing that lol) so...... if you have experienced frozen shoulder could you tell me if that sounds like it please as the site i looked at stated that the earlier its diagnosed the more successful the treatment will be so i should go to the doc (who i am avoiding)

Thankyou

Hi Andy, I have two frozen shoulders, had physio and a cortisone injection for the left shoulder, about 10 years ago and the physio helped a lot. The right shoulder is worse than the left one, but my shoulders are frozen, no great pain, but I can't scratch my back, getting coat sleves off because my arms are 'locked' and decorating can be difficult too. I wonder if you have possibly pulled a ligament or something similar, sounds like more investigations are needed. Frozen shoulder is associated with diabetes and is much more common in women. Maybe other people have had pain as well Andy, but not so much with me. But going to your GP will help, as he should refer you, possibility to the hospital physio department. Good luck.

C

catherinecherub

I've had it in both shoulders, one at a time luckily.
You are five times more likely to suffer with this if you are a diabetic.
I began to notice a dull ache in my shoulder that got progressively worse and saw the GP who put me through a series of movements to see what was going on. He diagnosed frozen shoulder.
Do you find it difficult and painful when washing and dressing? Does it wake you up in the night because of the pain? Do you suffer pain when reversing your vehicle?
The first one lasted two years before it was back to normal. I had two steroid injections six weeks apart when it was really bad and repeated physio sessions. The second one was not so severe but took eighteen months to heal.
It has been discussed here several times and some people have had manipulation under anaesthetic and some have been operated on to release the joint. I was happy with the physio and did daily exercise at home.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thankyou
Suck it up mate and get yourself to the doc.x:couchpotato: (That's you in your padded cycling pants)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Wow, I hope it's just coincidence Andy but I have had shoulder pain and right arm pain for about 9 weeks now. I've been to docs twice and walk in centre twice. I can't get rid of it. It even wakes me up at night. I went back to see doc a couple of days ago and finally got decent pain killers and physio referral. Hopefully this will lead to a scan. I thought it may have been statins and even stopped taking them. Still a constant niggling pain there now. Didn't click it may be diabetes related !

sorry dude :( i feel your pain, or do you feel mine, either way it sucks :( as your in front of me with the treatment you can guinne pig for me and steer me away from the bad ideas hehe

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I have had frozen shoulder for over a year now and still can't lift my
Left arm up over my head. I believe it goes through 3 Stages each lasting up to 6 months painful stage constant stage and unfreezing stage I must be coming up to the unfreezing stage now but it's still painful. Doctor offered me a cortisone inject pop but at the time the waiting time was 5 weeks so I thought it would be better by then Wrong!

thankyou Connie, i was hoping to follow your lead and let it be hoping it will fix itself but its starting to effect my life :( cant swing my arms when i run which is quite a big deal :( ill learn by your mistake and have the jab if its offered, thanks

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi Andy, I have two frozen shoulders, had physio and a cortisone injection for the left shoulder, about 10 years ago and the physio helped a lot. The right shoulder is worse than the left one, but my shoulders are frozen, no great pain, but I can't scratch my back, getting coat sleves off because my arms are 'locked' and decorating can be difficult too. I wonder if you have possibly pulled a ligament or something similar, sounds like more investigations are needed. Frozen shoulder is associated with diabetes and is much more common in women. Maybe other people have had pain as well Andy, but not so much with me. But going to your GP will help, as he should refer you, possibility to the hospital physio department. Good luck.

thankyou RRB, i am kinda hoping your right and its a ligament, no idea why i would want that as it could be worse far as i know, im just hoping it isnt db related as id got it into my head i would never suffer db complications, but hey ho you take what you get and get on with it i suppose, my movement only seems effected because of the pain, i dont seem to have stiffness at all, thanks

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I've had it in both shoulders, one at a time luckily.
You are five times more likely to suffer with this if you are a diabetic.
I began to notice a dull ache in my shoulder that got progressively worse and saw the GP who put me through a series of movements to see what was going on. He diagnosed frozen shoulder.
Do you find it difficult and painful when washing and dressing? Does it wake you up in the night because of the pain? Do you suffer pain when reversing your vehicle?
The first one lasted two years before it was back to normal. I had two steroid injections six weeks apart when it was really bad and repeated physio sessions. The second one was not so severe but took eighteen months to heal.
It has been discussed here several times and some people have had manipulation under anaesthetic and some have been operated on to release the joint. I was happy with the physio and did daily exercise at home.

Thankyou Catherine, i havent tried the reversing but the pain is creeping into everyday movements now (washing? whats that?) putting on clothes and generally moving :( i im wondering if its an inury because it started around the time of the marathon but i cant see why it would be getting worse, i dont have stiffness so im not sure, seeing as its called frozen shoulder i assume thats an important sympton huh, hopefully physio will be enough :) thankyou

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Suck it up mate and get yourself to the doc.x:couchpotato: (That's you in your padded cycling pants)

Thanks lol i know your right, i bought some cheapo padded lycra today but i bought large and have learnt theres only one thing worse than me wearing lycra, me wearing baggy nappy lycra lol but the bottom end is alot less sore, and i used the locked peddles too woohoo, they were great (as long as i didnt stop) when people ask me what the team bg means on my shirt, ill answer team baggy gusset lol

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks lol i know your right, i bought some cheapo padded lycra today but i bought large and have learnt theres only one thing worse than me wearing lycra, me wearing baggy nappy lycra lol but the bottom end is alot less sore, and i used the locked peddles too woohoo, they were great (as long as i didnt stop) when people ask me what the team bg means on my shirt, ill answer team baggy gusset lol

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Hey, just a thought (I do actually care that you're in pain) you don't think that cycling is aggravating your shoulders do you? When I first started I would get a bit of a sore neck - right between the shoulders. Might be worth considering having a day off, put your shorts in the wash and hope they shrink.x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
@Bebo321 lol, i do get kinda stiff strain across the back of the shoulders but its in a very different place, so far (please god) theres no shoulder pain holding the handle bars :) and i only just started, i cant stop now, thankyou, :) wash them? but they cant even stand up on thier own yet!

Reactions: 3 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Bebo321 lol, i do get kinda stiff strain across the back of the shoulders but its in a very different place, so far (please god) theres no shoulder pain holding the handle bars :) and i only just started, i cant stop now, thankyou, :) wash them? but they cant even stand up on thier own yet!
Ewwwwwww!:stinkyfeet:

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi, I had a frozen shoulder that I did not have diagnosed for a few months as I exercise quite a lot and just thought it was a strain of some kind. I really wish I had gone early to my GP because by the time I got referred to a musco-skeletal clinic I could hardly move my arm at all. It took two sets of steroid injections done under X-Ray and daily physical exercises to get any progress, whole thing lasted nearly 2 years and I am afraid I am left still with some reduced movement.Good luck, don't be too patient, ask for whatever is on offer in the way of treatment.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I must admit I found the cortisone injection very painful, my GP :doctor: went to the treatment room, returned and he did the injecting himself. I never want to have another one again, golly gosh it did hurt a tad.:inpain: