Type 1 who just cant lose weight

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I hope you don't mind comments from someone who is a T2 :) . My husband is T1, so I've gone through it with him.
It's very difficult for insulin users of whichever type to lose weight. If you have tried your diabetic clinic for help, try Diabetes Uk.org.
What my husband has done is to cut back hard on his carbs and hence his insulin and then his blood glucose levels.. It takes lots of careful testing to get it right Dr. Richard Bernstein's book "Diabetes solution", has good guidelines on how to do it.
Don't forget at 50, you have hormones working against you too.
I'm currently struggling to get ofrf the last 10 Kg I want to lose and finding that having a good breakfast, light snack lunch and modest dinner works best. ALL meals VERY low Carb. but I don't use insulin. A lot depends on how confident you are in adjusting your doses.
Hana

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Sid Bonkers said:
What the research actually says is that "low-carb diets are as least as effective as other methods of dieting" for around 6 months after which they appeared not to be as effective - or words to that effect.

That depends on who you listen to:
Dr Richard Feinman said:
No dietary intervention is better than carbohydrate-restriction for weight loss. Low-carbohydrate diets generally do better than low-fat diets for whatever period they are compared. Long term trials of low-fat diets such as he Women’s Health Initiative have a consistent record of poor performance.

borofergie said:
As I asked Paul previously what happens after the patient has reached their target BMI? they are not going to keep losing weight till they fade away are they, so how important are calories - really?

Once they have lost all of their excess body weight? They go back to eating more normal calorific intakes. No-one surves indefinately on <800kcals a day. The diets are only meant to produce rapid weight loss, you can't stay on them forever. I know people with stomach bypasses who eat far more than 800kcals.

If you eat 800kcal a day for the rest of your life, you will die of starvation. A 4ft6 woman who weighs 70lb would still have a BMR of over 1000kcal...

borofergie said:
I saw a trailer for a TV program recently about the advances made in cheating old age which featured a 55 y o male who looked to be in his 30's or so who had lived all his life (since his teens) on a drastically reduced diet to prove/disprove that diet can turn the clock back,

Yes, I've heard that too. The current thinking is that living in a continual state of semi-starvation is the best way of preventing aging.

borofergie said:
I fully understand that a T2 on insulin is not the same as being T1 but I found calorie restriction worked well for me. And I dont mean that to sound like it was easy because it wasnt but I was strongly motivated and I do believe that motivation is everything where weight loss is concerned. No diet will work if you dont work hard and stick with it.

You have to own it :thumbup:

I agree Sid, all successful diets ultimately have to be about calorie restriction, and it is never easy.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
A friend of mine had bariatric surgery years ago. It worked perfectly. He has a normal BMI.
Unfortunately, the operation is not reversible. He still cannot eat normal food portions (he vomits if he eats too much). He is also suffering from irreversible brain damage (dementia) due to prolonged starvation.
He takes small vitamin high meal substitutes. He is 41, but has the appearance of a man in his 50s.
He does not expect to live to be old.
It is not the solution it seems. He thinks it was worth it, and that is a measure of how desperate obesity makes people who suffer from it.

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all havn't been on the forum for a while and was very pleasantly surprised at how many replies to my question I have had since my last visit.I would like to thank you all for the information,support and knowledge you have given.I have found it so helpful and encouraging,and am currently trying to reduce my carb intake and reduce my insulin.It is as ever a constant struggle and have just been away on hol so a little off track at mo,hence my revisit to the forum for inspiration once again. :) However because of the content of your replies I am feeling much more positive about it all than when I first started this thread and my glucose levels have improved.I am determined to not give up trying to achieve my goal,as I tell my children," if at first you dont succeed,try,try,again".If there is any more info anyone has on this on this issue,would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks again
Binney

barrett888

Simple as this. To lose weight as a type one diabetic find your maintenance calories and subtract between 500 or 700 off that and that's how much cals you need to lose weight. Calculate your maintenance using an online calculator. I log everything I eat into a calorie counter, I personally use my fitness pal. I am a weight lifter and I always use these methods wether I want to gain or lose weight! I don't do anything to my insulin there's no need! Its all about calories in vs calories out, which means basically burn more calories then your taking in and you'll lose weight its that simple. Btw I am 17 years old been type 1 diabetic since 13 I am 6 foot and 177 pounds, currently on a calorie deficit to get cut for summer! My macros are 280 carb 170 protein 50 fat which is around 2300 calories. And guess what! I'm getting leaner every week using this method and I'm never hungry !

gabriele

Hi binney,

I read your post and couldn't believe it , are you my twin ?
Iam 54 years old and a Type 1 diabetic for 25 years now . I was on Lantus and my BG was awful and I put on a lot of weight .
Now I 'm on Insulatad / Novorapid. And like you I struggled with my weight and my BG and with diets . And like you my Hba1c was 8.2.
If you still need help I believe I found the lifestyle which suits me . Low carb high fat in combination with Dr Bernstein .
Since Iam not hungry anymore I can deal with restrictions like no bread, rice, pasta , starchy veg ect.
It has change my life .

Best
Gabi

Reactions: christydb

Dubai expat

I'm also T1 and have been for 14 years, after the birth of my son almost 10 yrs ago I developed a weight problem and was at my wits end, I got very depressed over it as I'd never experienced it b4, then I joined a local slimming world group and it changed my life, I lost over 2st in 9months and I've never looked back.

andybrightman

I would say that with age tiredness comes naturally. So, it's not a big issue but, you can steel improve your health and avoid that problem as well. I want to suggest you that you need to eat fresh fruits and green vegetables for your good health. These foods are healthy foods which helps to keep you healthy.

davidngordon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Binney, I have been a type 1 now since December 1978. For the last 3-4 years I have been having problems with weight being gained so easily. Have you tried the 5/2 diet. I have heard so many good reports about it and I am now trying this. The recipes are really tasty and very healthy. I tried this about a year ago and after many other diets, this was the only one that worked for me. But the same as many others I lost weight and just thought I could go back to eating normally, but the weight kept pilling on again. Once bitten twice shy, so this time I shall get the weight down then restrict myself but stick to the 2 day restriction every week. Started last Tuesday. First weighed in at 16 stone 61/4 lbs. After one week have lost 8lbs, so onwards and upwards. Hope this helps Dave

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have this problem at the moment. My consultant is putting me on a new drug that's just come to market, forgotten the name of it (will post later if I remember) but apparently it makes you pee out around 500 calories worth of sugar each day, so that sugar is not in your blood for insulin to have to remove. May be worth seeing your consultant again? I haven't started it yet so can't tell you how it's affected my weight but I am very hopeful!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi, it's Dapagliflozin (Forxiga). Only reason I found out about it is because I know one of the doctors from the diabetes centre socially. Certainly no one suggested it to me, and my consultant was going to put me on Byetta before I asked for this. So you may need to push for it. Good luck.

debbiiee

I have this problem at the moment. My consultant is putting me on a new drug that's just come to market, forgotten the name of it (will post later if I remember) but apparently it makes you pee out around 500 calories worth of sugar each day, so that sugar is not in your blood for insulin to have to remove. May be worth seeing your consultant again? I haven't started it yet so can't tell you how it's affected my weight but I am very hopeful!
I think Weeing out sugar may cause urinary tract infection by favouring yeast growth. Just take some extra care about that.
Good luck:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and have been for 46 years. I'm so discouraged about my weight, I often daydream about giving up eating altogether.
  • I tried Metformin, cutting out all carbs, and exercising and ended up in the hospital with a blood sugar of 15.
  • I gave up the Metformin (it made me anemic) and concentrated on reducing carbs and increasing exercise, but ended up having to increase my insulin because when I exercise, my blood sugar goes up over 300/400 with no change in my diet.
I've read so many of the comments here searching for something, anything to give me hope, but I'm at the end of my rope. I'm now over 6 stone over my ideal weight, and I see no end in sight.
Is there any hope?

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
I'm not T1 I am T2 and on insulin I did a high calcium/protein diet for about a year three years ago and my weight dropped
from 27 stone to 18 stone in 12 months and not much exercise slow walking every day for about half an hour.
this involved replacing my fluid intake for 2 weeks with skimmed milk as it contains
more calcium than any other milk, after 2 weeks drinking nothing but skimmed milk trust me you would want to drink water
forever, but you drink normal fluids for a week and return to the skimmed milk for another two weeks and so on
the calcium binds the fat in your body and you lose that fat when you do a number 2.
it also means that you must eat a lot of vegetables and protein, casserole is fantastic without carbs in it as your body
doesn't need so much insulin with it when your T2 otherwise constipation occurs with the extra calcium intake.
I heard a rumour about it and tried it and for me it worked out very well. I was so miserable being 27 stone in weight.
good luck with your diet which ever kind works out for you.

regards, Nigel

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it's Dapagliflozin (Forxiga). Only reason I found out about it is because I know one of the doctors from the diabetes centre socially. Certainly no one suggested it to me, and my consultant was going to put me on Byetta before I asked for this. So you may need to push for it. Good luck.
Are you type 2? Didn't think this was licenced for type 1's yet

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I am new here, but happy to be a part of this forum. I am no different than any of you, as being a T1. I am 43, and T1 for 15 years (T3 infact, because the reason of my diabetes is non-genetically transmitted, happened gallbladder stone stuck pancreatitus' way to release acids to stomach, my organ literally blown and severly punctured the organ resulting diabetes in a year.)

Not perfect in english, I try my best to explain myself, because I need info and share all my experience with you. Please bear with me.

Having extra 30lbs, trying to lose weight, 6 days a week - cardio and weightlifting switching eveyday... Not a lot of fun! I lost almost all of it last year, but regained caused by stress. I try to lose weight again. I guess this cycle will never end.

I eat mostly protein, veggies, and less fruits and carbs.

My problem is losing weight very slowly. I thought it was me, only. Now, I am kinf of releaved that it is a general problem coming with diabetes. Now, I feel more motivated to keep my workouts and diet inline!

There is one other obstacle is my father loves pastry and brings too much sugary food at home! Duh!

I will keep being around this forum to stay motivated.

Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi all - I too am desperate to lose some weight, but it's not shifting.

I eat low carb, so breakfast is protein omelette with cheese, lunch is salad and fish, supper is salad and meat, I probably eat a handful of nuts a day or some cheese as a snack too. I am 1 1/2 stone over my target weight and 4 months ago switched from Levemir to Tresiba as Levemir wasn't working and had been increasing my doses over time until the consultant changed it. Tresiba works alot better for me and i'm happy with my HbA1c and daily results. I also cycle twice a week and walk the dog, but am still not losing weight.

I dont understand why I can't lose the weight when I low carb, eats loads of vegs and exercise.. someone mentioned earlier about metabolism and yes maybe that's a contributory cause but even with the exercise I do I cannot shift the extra pounds around my waist and bum, before Levemir became ineffective I was at my target weight yet even now with better control and Tresiba working well it's not moving, my consultant wasnt very helpful, he just said it will come off over time.. :(

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - I too am desperate to lose some weight, but it's not shifting.

I eat low carb, so breakfast is protein omelette with cheese, lunch is salad and fish, supper is salad and meat, I probably eat a handful of nuts a day or some cheese as a snack too. I am 1 1/2 stone over my target weight and 4 months ago switched from Levemir to Tresiba as Levemir wasn't working and had been increasing my doses over time until the consultant changed it. Tresiba works alot better for me and i'm happy with my HbA1c and daily results. I also cycle twice a week and walk the dog, but am still not losing weight.

I dont understand why I can't lose the weight when I low carb, eats loads of vegs and exercise.. someone mentioned earlier about metabolism and yes maybe that's a contributory cause but even with the exercise I do I cannot shift the extra pounds around my waist and bum, before Levemir became ineffective I was at my target weight yet even now with better control and Tresiba working well it's not moving, my consultant wasnt very helpful, he just said it will come off over time.. :(
Yes, you will lose weight in time, but slowly it will happen. I was in your shoes until a month ago. T1 for 15 years, I am on a diet since then, yet I lost and gained weight countless times, felt like you did. I have come to conclusion after reading in this forums that I have to accept my diet a life time eating habbit, and nevet let go if you need to lose more weight.
I have, many times, could not lose weight for three weeks even with all my efforts including exercises, and frustrated, gave up, ate a lot, regained weight, disgusted myself and restarted dieting, on and on... After reading on these forums, I saw that everybody with diabetes have the same problem. Now, I just accepted my situation, determined never to let go my dieting and exercising, seems that there is a great deal of patience and support needed from you guys. Lets not give up, accept the situation, deal with it, support each other, and make this kind of dieting a regular eating habbit.
Very hard for me too... but I will never stop trying, and I know that I am almost there clinching my thoughts to accepting the situation.
I do not want to put on my XXL clothes ever again, I am on it. So, give yourself a bit time to adjust your motivation, eating habbits, and check in these forums time to time.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks Atalay, to be honest I dont actually lack motivation as I have to eat low carb to control my BG, if I don't then I suffer highs and lows which affect my moods, so am constantly low carb, food wise I have no problem. This is why the whole matter completely baffles me. I can only put it down to 2 things, metabolism and insulin doses. I do cardio exercise so this should improve the metabolism but I cannot alter what I currently take insulin wise as otherwise I will unbalance what is currently good control, unless I increase my daily exercise which means I will need to decrease my basal dosage, I am trying this as an experiment this week, so have dropped my basal by 4 units and am cycling for an hour minimum each evening, this combined with the warm weather should still keep my bg steady. I will post updates to let you know progress.. ;)

Reactions: 2 people