Very hungry new Diabetic

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Back from the review and yippeee ive lost 3kg since August 14th 2014.Well impressed with that and my BS was very good.BP well she was concerned with that one as it was raised a little.Thus shes organising a 24 hour BP machine for me.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
low carb high fat, (or low carb with enough fat so that you're not hungry might be a better description)

I was close then when i said it stood for Low carb High fibre.Just got 1 word wrong

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So, after your birthday yesterday, what are you intending to eat today, the first day of your new diet?

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, after your birthday yesterday, what are you intending to eat today, the first day of your new diet?

Just a sarnie for lunch and not thought about tea yet.Already had my usual all bran for brekkie before i went out.

Its next Thursday thats gunna be the ****** cos im gunna be Nil by mouth after 7:30am except for clear fluids up untill 11:30am.The surgical team etc are aware that ive just been diagnosed as diabetic so im sure they will endeavour to get some liquid or what ever inside me as soon as possible after the op.

Redbegonia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your new eating plan, when I was first diagnosed as type 2 my diabetic nurse sent me on the Desmond programme. I found it really helpful and learnt some amazing things about certain foods and how to check labels etc. you might find it helpful to make your own breakfast cereal, porridge can be a bit boring, I go to Holland and Bartlett and bye lots of low no sugar/ low sugar goodies and make my own. I top it with soya milk and a few fresh berries. Incidentally no one at my practice has ever suggested or offered me a blood glucose meter or told me how to keep a check on my sugars. How do I go about purchasing one cos obviously they are not going to prescribe me one, and how do I monitor myself?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your new eating plan, when I was first diagnosed as type 2 my diabetic nurse sent me on the Desmond programme. I found it really helpful and learnt some amazing things about certain foods and how to check labels etc. you might find it helpful to make your own breakfast cereal, porridge can be a bit boring, I go to Holland and Bartlett and bye lots of low no sugar/ low sugar goodies and make my own. I top it with soya milk and a few fresh berries. Incidentally no one at my practice has ever suggested or offered me a blood glucose meter or told me how to keep a check on my sugars. How do I go about purchasing one cos obviously they are not going to prescribe me one, and how do I monitor myself?

You can buy one at any pharmacy or on-line. Some are free, but none are very expensive. The expense comes with the testing strips, so you need to be careful which one you buy. Many of us on here buy the SD Codefree at http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How are you getting along with your testing Johnboy?

Doing ok thanks :) My readings are reasonable and i just hope they stay that way and if i can get a bit more weight off i may be lucky and steer clear of tabs or insulin guess we will see.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing ok thanks :) My readings are reasonable and i just hope they stay that way and if i can get a bit more weight off i may be lucky and steer clear of tabs or insulin guess we will see.

Good. Do you have an organised plan when you test, or just picking it up when you feel like it?

What sort of numbers are you seeing a couple of hours after things like bread? "Reasonable" as a word is a bit like "nice"; it means different things to different people, and is completely subjective.

Reactions: 3 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good. Do you have an organised plan when you test, or just picking it up when you feel like it?

What sort of numbers are you seeing a couple of hours after things like bread? "Reasonable" as a word is a bit like "nice"; it means different things to different people, and is completely subjective.

Just picking it up every so often.

Not tested after bread though i did test the other night after my toast and got was it 6.6
Reasonable = acceptable reading sorry should have been more clearer on that one.a reading between say 5 and 9 is normal and acceptable
After Weds treats i was half expecting it to go in to Double figures and was surprised to see 6.0
I'm obviously or rather my body is obviously dealing with things very nicely

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just picking it up every so often.

Not tested after bread though i did test the other night after my toast and got was it 6.6
Reasonable = acceptable reading sorry should have been more clearer on that one.a reading between say 5 and 9 is normal and acceptable

Johnboy - I don't want to become your complete headacahe, but to get the best out of testing, it makes sense to have a bit of a plan. To be completely honest, the first couple of days I tested, I was a bit afraid to test when I thought I might be high, because I was a bit afraid of what the number would be. but, then I realised that those are exactly the numbers to did need to see, or I was tinkering around the edges of my diabetes and not maximising on the potential learning from testing.

I appreciate your budget isn't limitless. My situation when I started testing was that I was overseas for several months, with no real access to any more strips than I had taken with me, so I had to devise a plan to get the best for my strip based buck.

In the end, I settled on testing three times a day. I had roughly budgeted for 2 pots of strips a month. For me, I decided that was testing every day, on rising, as that helps me understand my background base level. That's not a medical term, but how I justified it to myself. The other two tests I rotated each day around meals. One test before eating, and the other two hours later. On the days I was testing breakfast, I didn't test between my fasting and eating breakfast, so those days in reality I only tested twice a day, but that left another strip for another time. I also kept an accurate food diary on myfitnesspal, so that if necessary, I could go back and see what score I had last time I ate x food.

By adopting this approach, I quickly got a handle on my body's reaction to what I eat. As I routinely only ate a couple of versions of breakfasts and lunches, I quickly learned I could drop testing after breakfast and lunch unless I was eating something different. then, I could focus on testing more around my evening meals - which are usually my most substantial meal of the day - and are usually most varied. It took a little while to really gain insight, but I felt much more confident with the knowledge under my belt.

Have a bit of a think. This is where the recommendation for the Codefree meter and strips comes into its own. Once you have the Codefree meter, you are then talking about £11 a month for all that information - provided you can buy a few pots to get the discount. If you can't get the discount it's £14 a month. 50p a day.

I wish I had strips on prescription, but for me that's not going to be happen; even though I ask every time I go. I feel honour-bound to all T2s to ask each time, but I have a feeling I know what the response will be each time.

Investing 50p a day in my health feels like a bargain to me.

Reactions: 4 people

Mima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm so glad I'm not the only one confused about what to eat and what not to eat. Do I eat to lose weight or to my bg monitor?. was doing quite well on low carbs but lost it this week when I got the most awful cold and have craved only for junk food. I do feel on my own (meaning not much medical support) but know that everyone on the forum is here to give guidance and support when needed.

I have lost just over a stone and am managing to keep my bg around 8.5. Don't know if that is good or not but at least it is stable (ish) although have been down to 4.8. -

My question is I suppose is - what should it be?

good luck GordonAsh

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
The best advice, I believe, is that losing weight slowly is better than fast. It is not a competition to see how fast.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best advice, I believe, is that losing weight slowly is better than fast. It is not a competition to see how fast.
With the exception of doing Newcastle diet, when calorie intake restriction with subsequent rapid weight loss can return blood glucose levels to non-diabetic state in a very short time, for some T2 diabetics.

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
I'm so glad I'm not the only one confused about what to eat and what not to eat. Do I eat to lose weight or to my bg monitor?. was doing quite well on low carbs but lost it this week when I got the most awful cold and have craved only for junk food. I do feel on my own (meaning not much medical support) but know that everyone on the forum is here to give guidance and support when needed.

I have lost just over a stone and am managing to keep my bg around 8.5. Don't know if that is good or not but at least it is stable (ish) although have been down to 4.8. -

My question is I suppose is - what should it be?

good luck GordonAsh

Hi your blood sugars should be within 4 to 7 mml falling under 4 is ok for a type 2 but im afraid 8.5 little too over sorry. just to help with your eating you can eat as normal just cut you portions down try and graze more on nuts etc, remember fibre slows digestion down and so the intake of carbs to sugar! or if your able you can go for the low carb,high protein option, everyone's different in there capabilities when changing there lifestyle. Don`t forget your not on a diet but a lifestyle change. im not going to bore you with my stats but i am newly diagnosed this year not on any meds and have dropped 3st i work nights and diabetes runs in my family so have no idea of the cause as as all are culpable.if you want any advice if i know it i will gladly share Good Luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mima

The NICE guidelines, used by the NHS, are:

Non diabetics before meals 4 to 5.9. 2hrs after meals under 7.8
Type 2's before meals 4 to 7. 2hrs after meals under 8.5.

Those guidelines are a bit generous, and many people try to keep under 7.8 after meals. Obviously, the lower the better.

Reactions: 4 people

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
@Mima

The NICE guidelines, used by the NHS, are:

Non diabetics before meals 4 to 5.9. 2hrs after meals under 7.8
Type 2's before meals 4 to 7. 2hrs after meals under 8.5.

Those guidelines are a bit generous, and many people try to keep under 7.8 after meals. Obviously, the lower the better.

Hi the info from Desmond and following NHS resources you can obtain states Hbal1c 6.5% which is under 7 especially for a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Long term over 7 is not good. Not seen the NICE guidelines but the Desmond team stated readings should be between 4-7. so conflicting info here??. going under 4 is okay for type 2 this was confirmed by the Desmond team as non diabetics also go under 4. Better with lower readings aim low stay low.