Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my annual review.
Sept 13 diagnosed at 77.
Sept 14 have managed to reduce to 40.
No meds, diet only.

Reactions: 4 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never measured my HbA1 :( I know it's gonna be bad . Don't even whant to know it

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. The penny's just dropped - that this thread is about how low Type 1s dare to go while fending off hypo's. This is the whole point of being T1, isn't it.

Hmmmm. Well I'm a honeymooning LADA, and I appreciate that that is MUCH easier to manage. The reason I want to manage it so much, though, is precisely to stay in my honeymoon period and not develop full-blown Type 1, with that so-difficult balancing act.

I take 3-4 units of Insulatard at night, only. Otherwise, LCHF and some exercise. For now, my HbA1c is about 5.3% - and I'm over the moon about that. I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

Edit: Hmm, well it turned out my A1c wasn't that low. End-Sept it was 49 / 6.6%. Down from 117 or 13% in June, but should have been lower. Growl, grrr, time for the Freestyle Libre?

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
This is just a friendly comment from someone who has been there and has got the T shirt .
Do be very careful , I was diagnosed in 1960 had 20 years trouble free Diabetes but after being forced to change to synthetic insulin in 1980 have a legacy of irreversible damage to 5 glands which the NHS and Novo are sweeping under the carpet aided by Prof Weetman .
Like you between 1980 and 2006 I suffered 229 Insulin Coma`s , was denied a 2nd opinion by GP (she said I was quite well the blood tests proved it) but after a 20 min stand up argument had to pay for one , which proved me right .
The cause was destruction of digestive section of Pancreas (pancreatic insufficiency) not digesting food (converting to sugar ) .
Night Coma`s do Kill , the chair of my self help group did a freedom of information search which found of about 1200 patients who died this way , not one had an Autopsy ?.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
40 (5.8) been on the pump 3/4 months, no hypos and levels 93% within target - taking a lot of work but I'm happy doing it. A definite change to pre pump!

Gazzar63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last 5 have been 7.9, 8.3, 8.1, 8.1 and 8.0. MY GP has advised me to try and get it dpwn to 7 if possible. I think this is achievable with a bit more focus

baz1191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise / saving money ...All the things I should be doing
Well you lot all sound good, mine was about 18 or summit, but I am newly diagnosed and just getting used to it. I am glad I got a 'B' in maths at school like, otherwise all this carb counting and correction injection I'd be screwed!

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At diagnosis: my hba1c was 149mmol/l...... Last reading 4 months later is 53mmol/l!!! Delighted!! Hoping to get it down a little bit more the next time!

Becca3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling very happy today.. had my latest check up with the consultant and my latest hba1c is down to 44 :D Very very pleased with that!

moz1

Well you lot all sound good, mine was about 18 or summit, but I am newly diagnosed and just getting used to it. I am glad I got a 'B' in maths at school like, otherwise all this carb counting and correction injection I'd be screwed!
If you get an accuchek aviva expert meter it calculates insulin requirement for you which is useful if you are on different ratios for different times of day like me. The only math you need to do is adding up carbs for your food.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oct 1st diagnosed at 148 (15.7) Average blood glucose of 22.3mmol/L
Re-test scheduled for January.

Current estimated HbA1c based on my averages on my meter...around 7.8
Average blood glucose of 9.8mmol/L

Still work to be done

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get so confused with all these numbers and percentages but my last HBA1C was 87 ( I think) if I'm not mistaken I think that's around 11mmol? Still high but lower than the time before! Just waiting to find results for the test I had last week :)

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed T1 in April - 14%.

Just had my 2nd 6monthly check. 6.25% or 46mmol

Pretty chuffed with that.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T1 in May at 14%,

I had my first HbA1c test back in August and it was 5.7%

I'm now just worried It'll just get worse with time lol

My Endo doesn't think i need to do another test until March so i think I am going to buy one over the counter myself in December just so there are no surprises

jamesd80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So... Mine was 11.5 at last test. Since then I've started life on a pump after almost waiting a year since it was first discussed.... Here's hoping for single figures next time round!

leedslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my check up last week and my Hba1c was 55, down from 65 six months earlier so I am really happy with that, that is down to carb counting, going on to a low carb diet and generally looking after myself a bit more, hope to get it down more for next time, at its worse it as 80!